Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350Z's max Horse Power

Old 02-05-2003, 08:29 AM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z's max Horse Power

I have heard that there are 800Hp modified Toyota Supras out there (not sure if it's with the original motor or not).

What is the maximum Hp that the 350z ORIGINAL motor can endure (in theory)? ..... Also, what modifications will it take to get there?
Old 02-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Static

Supra Internals in stock form won't take much more over 500 hp.. anything over that is lots more work and $$$.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Z33Fan

Between 375-400hp with everything bone-stock, all motor.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:37 AM
mcduck

I am not an expert, but based on what I have read here and from some tech sources, I'd estimate that the stock internals could probably handle up to the 450-500 crank HP range without greatly affecting reliability.

That would be pushing the limit, I believe. And while that may be reliable power, the longevity of your motor will suffer the higher you push the horsepower.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Nexxus

Originally posted by Static
Supra Internals in stock form won't take much more over 500 hp.. anything over that is lots more work and $$$.
Are you kidding? They can hit more than that with the stock fuel system....much less the engine. There's plenty of guys out there with 800+hp running on the stock internals. It's nearly bulletproof.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Static

Originally posted by Nexxus
Are you kidding? They can hit more than that with the stock fuel system....much less the engine. There's plenty of guys out there with 800+hp running on the stock internals. It's nearly bulletproof.
I guess I look at transimission as an integral part as well.. those won't hold much past 500-600 hp...
Old 02-05-2003, 09:35 AM
McDan

Wow, more than 800hp on stock fuel system, huh?
If I'd have know this obviously factual statement, I would have never sold mine. 500rwhp is pushing the limits of the Supra's stock fuel system, and that's with 104 octane.

Dan
Old 02-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Static

Originally posted by McDan
Wow, more than 800hp on stock fuel system, huh?
If I'd have know this obviously factual statement, I would have never sold mine. 500rwhp is pushing the limits of the Supra's stock fuel system, and that's with 104 octane.

Dan
Just as I've heard from other Supra owners, hence my comment above
Old 02-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Nexxus

uuhh...the fuel system statement was referring to the 500hp figure. Read what i quoted. I then go on to explain that the engine itself will take well over 800hp. And the stock 6-spd will handle every bit of that with an upgraded clutch. Just ask Titan.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:54 PM
McDan

uuhh...the fuel system statement was referring to the 500hp figure. Read what i quoted. I then go on to explain that the engine itself will take well over 800hp. And the stock 6-spd will handle every bit of that with an upgraded clutch. Just ask Titan.
Misunderstanding on my part.

Does anyone know what sized injectors the Z has?
Old 02-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Javi

It has been my personal experience that Supras can and will handle as much as 700rwhp with stock internals. You mix Greddy T88 single tubo kit, HKS cams, bigger injectors with fuel rail, Vein Pressure, Greddy exhaust, no catalytic converter, greddy intercooler and a triple disk HKS clutch, in your mix of go-fast goodies and you will get huge amounts of HP. There is a catch, you need to run ALWAYS 104+ octane, PURE, no mixes. And the transmission... bullet proof...

PS
Hi!
This is my 1st. post in this forum. I'll be getting my hands on a 350 blue very very soon, I like this forum... very informative!
Old 02-06-2003, 08:05 AM
perucho

Lightbulb New question....Optimum Hp :)

Congrats Javi. Welcome to the dark side.

I guess the question is now what's the maximum Hp you can upgrade to without reducing the stock motor's life? I want to make my car faster but not reduce its' lifespan at the same time
Old 02-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Boomer

Default Re: New question....Optimum Hp :)

Originally posted by perucho
Congrats Javi. Welcome to the dark side.

I guess the question is now what's the maximum Hp you can upgrade to without reducing the stock motor's life? I want to make my car faster but not reduce its' lifespan at the same time
What do you consider the motor's lifespan w/287hp? To me, this is the biggest issue w/increasing hp beyond stock. How long do you, or anyone consider, increased hp from a stock engine =Nominal? I've always been curious about this aspect of modifying a stock engine, racing with the mods and lifespan. How much is too much?; too exspensive, too much to handle safely on public roads? Since that's the issue here, or might be, where do you stop, and why do you stop?

Boomer--curious and seeking information about modifying the Z of course. I'm not interested in Supras, just the 350Z.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-09-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Javi

Default Re: Re: New question....Optimum Hp :)

Originally posted by Boomer
What do you consider the motor's lifespan w/287hp? To me, this is the biggest issue w/increasing hp beyond stock. How long do you, or anyone consider, increased hp from a stock engine =Nominal? I've always been curious about this aspect of modifying a stock engine, racing with the mods and lifespan. How much is too much?; too exspensive, too much to handle safely on public roads? Since that's the issue here, or might be, where do you stop, and why do you stop?

Boomer--curious and seeking information about modifying the Z of course. I'm not interested in Supras, just the 350Z.
That I'm sorry to say is something that you or an aftermarket company have to figure out (or there are numbers out there?). But, the japanese reviews of the car are very positive and currently a lot of aftermarket tuners such as Greedy, June, Etc. are working on it. I believe that the engine has a lot to give without getting risky. There are a lot of Japanese engines doing 100hp per liter without breaking a sweat including the 300zx TT
so you do the math and figure out what could you at least achieve with the 350 engine...
Old 02-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Mr Fairlady

aftermarket tuners such as Greedy, June
Its Greddy and JUN-- (lookin out for ya!) unless you ment to do that how they are pronounced?

350Z should hopefully handle well over 450-500whp--but it being such high compression--that will takes it toll as far as FI goes....you;ll probably have to rip those pistons out for some good ol' lower comp pistons if turbo's which is about the only way to get there unless Crate NISMO race motor!
SO I think you would have to do a few mods to make sure that a 500RWHP 350Z to make it drive and live right! NO doubt--it ain't no Supra motor--but close enough.

OFf Topic (SUPRA)-that ***** will handle it all no prob!Fuel sys is Great and damn motor internals are barley ever touched except maybe cams and cam gears if that?Stock Clutch is awesome if it's brand new but you just might "Crank walk" w/ certain aftermarket Clutches and the TRD one caused that on my Friends MKIV!
Old 02-09-2003, 10:43 PM
jeffrey

There's actually quite a few Supra's upward of 7-800hp on stock internals. Craig Paisly raced one for years before he built a Tacoma (don't remember his website offhand, Google it ;P).

These guys are not far from me and have built some pretty amazing cars. They used to have a video of a red Supra that dynoed at 1035hp on stock internals.

It's really not that uncommon for a 800hp Supra to have a stock bottom end.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Zyal8tr

Default I WONDER?

I wonder if somehow we could fit a Supra Turbo transmission in our 350Z, so if some of us want to bore our engine and turbo it, the tranny can hangle it! HMMMMM?