Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2004 year changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 08:16 PM
limoZine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 year changes

sources say that brickyard will no longer be available after july 03 and that another silver will be added called liquid silver. also rear ultrasonic sensors my be an option. note that the liquid silver color was the silver that was used on the pre production models. what does everyone think about a third silver and possibly no yellow?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:22 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the concept silver was a multi thousand $$$ paint job that included multiple coats of paint to get that molten appearance. that will never be on a production car.

yellow is about 75% for sure, and brickyard would be the best canidate to bite the bullet. if anything is taken away.

rear sensors? Id be suprised... no nissan or infiniti has these do they? the FX has rear camera... thatd be cool. but whatever they do, we can transplant into ours unless its really intricate, which would warrent a price increase.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Moroccan_Mole

also rear ultrasonic sensors my be an option
are you talking about rear parking sensors?

i think the aussies get these already ...
Old 03-04-2003, 08:42 PM
phreezee

Yeah, I read about that liquid silver over on freshalloy, and thought what BS. I'll believe it when I see it. There's no way they are dumb enough to have 3 silver colors in their lineup.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Turbo2

Any word on a sunroof, T-top or targa top? I feel that that is the one thing the Z needs for it to be complete.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:06 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once again, nissan has adressed the open air possibilities months prior to the launch of the car, they were sent numerous emails, even petitions, they were nixed in he initial design, not feasable, this is not going to ever change. the convertable is their open air option. and it will remain their ONLY OPEN AIR OPTION.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:26 AM
tsixr

Actually I just read in one of the magazines, I think it was automobile that Nissan is changing the interior of the Z for next year due to complaints of its quality, and more specifically the center consol and the compartment in the consol will be changed.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 AM
dczoner

Top 10 changes I'd like to see in 2k4 or beyond:

1. Better tires from the factory.
2. Change Silverstone to a Gunmetal like BMW's.
3. Drop Brickyard, add Yellow.
4. Make Nismo S-Tune (complete car) available in US from select dealers.
5. Decrease the size of the plastic casing around rear tower brace in trunk.
6. Improve door actuator on Nav Door hinge (primarily closing).
7. Remove sunglasses pocket, or increase size slightly so actual sunglasses can fit in there without getting crushed.
8. Make XM available on base & Bose radios.
9. Add footwell lighting standard.
10. Build motion sensor into keyless entry system.

I think these are all changes that could be reasonably performed within a model year, and would have little cost changes. Perhaps the most costly would be upgrading the tires, but thanks to economies of scale it is possible. Changing color doesn't cost them much (plus makes the Brickyards a little more in demand for being just a 1 year color). The Nismo S-Tune will be available in Japanese dealerships, but I think it might not pass complete US crash standards which might be their reason to not bring it here. The plastic casing can be shrunk and might actually save them money. The sunglasses case is a worthless *sales booster* - a cool feature until you actually try to use it. Nissan is on board with XM, they need to offer it in all their 2k4 models. Footwell lighting that fades in conjunction with the overhead lighting would be a valuable addition. The motion sensor is probably the one that won't get done because the dealers want to add on their "enhanced security package".

Nissan, if you're listening, this is my $0.02 from someone who has 9k miles on his car.

Have a good one!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:56 PM
dollar99

Originally posted by phreezee
Yeah, I read about that liquid silver over on freshalloy, and thought what BS. I'll believe it when I see it. There's no way they are dumb enough to have 3 silver colors in their lineup.
Infiniti has 3 silver's for the G
Old 03-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Turbo2

I am very suprised and disappointed that Nissan will not be offering some type of removable roof (T-top or Targa top) or a sunroof for the Z. I feel that a convertible takes away from the sporting nature of a car, and that a car with no light from the top or possibility of some open air-motoring creates an almost cavernous feel.

I hope they offer a sunroof or removable roof. The G35 coupe has a sunroof (although their roof is a little differently shaped) but I am sure Nissan could engineer it somehow.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:10 PM
hoopjones

Is there any possibility for the liquid silver? I would get that in a second if they actually did come out with that. I hate it when the production models turn out to be different from the concepts. I know its for cost, practicality, etc. but I wish they would just bring a car that had all the elements of a concept car.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur with the above on the silver. The pre-production cars that drove around with the 562 licence plates were chrome silver. The one at the auto shows was a special multilayered (multiK dollar) paint job and Nissan couldn't afford to sell cars with that.

Here is the new color I hear that Nissan is coming out with in 04:
Attached Thumbnails 2004 year changes-spongez.jpg  
Old 03-05-2003, 01:24 PM
hoopjones

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I concur with the above on the silver. The pre-production cars that drove around with the 562 licence plates were chrome silver. The one at the auto shows was a special multilayered (multiK dollar) paint job and Nissan couldn't afford to sell cars with that.

Here is the new color I hear that Nissan is coming out with in 04:
Very nice, does it come with that sponge guy?
Old 03-05-2003, 02:49 PM
phile

they are going to redesign the interior? THat's great..heh, don't you love how first year adopters always take it in the *** =\
Old 03-05-2003, 03:05 PM
socalsoda

They are not going to redesign the interior. Do you believe everything you read?...

You guys have already seen the 2004 interior... Look at the Roadster... It is a 2004 Model Year. The interior is the same.
Another post also said the air bag on/off switch will be standard on 2004, but this is not true either.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:07 PM
socalsoda

P.S....

I have heard some where... (who knows where???) for 2004 they will offer a "SpongeBob" package. I will be the first to trade up my Z for that one....
Old 03-05-2003, 03:07 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by dczoner
Top 10 changes I'd like to see in 2k4 or beyond:

1. Better tires from the factory.
2. Change Silverstone to a Gunmetal like BMW's.
3. Drop Brickyard, add Yellow.
4. Make Nismo S-Tune (complete car) available in US from select dealers.
5. Decrease the size of the plastic casing around rear tower brace in trunk.
6. Improve door actuator on Nav Door hinge (primarily closing).
7. Remove sunglasses pocket, or increase size slightly so actual sunglasses can fit in there without getting crushed.
8. Make XM available on base & Bose radios.
9. Add footwell lighting standard.
10. Build motion sensor into keyless entry system.

I think these are all changes that could be reasonably performed within a model year, and would have little cost changes. Perhaps the most costly would be upgrading the tires, but thanks to economies of scale it is possible. Changing color doesn't cost them much (plus makes the Brickyards a little more in demand for being just a 1 year color). The Nismo S-Tune will be available in Japanese dealerships, but I think it might not pass complete US crash standards which might be their reason to not bring it here. The plastic casing can be shrunk and might actually save them money. The sunglasses case is a worthless *sales booster* - a cool feature until you actually try to use it. Nissan is on board with XM, they need to offer it in all their 2k4 models. Footwell lighting that fades in conjunction with the overhead lighting would be a valuable addition. The motion sensor is probably the one that won't get done because the dealers want to add on their "enhanced security package".

Nissan, if you're listening, this is my $0.02 from someone who has 9k miles on his car.

Have a good one!
drop silverstone? no way....it's probably the hottest seller (well, maybe below daytona blue). the rest....i agree.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:28 PM
phile

Originally posted by socalsoda
P.S....

I have heard some where... (who knows where???) for 2004 they will offer a "SpongeBob" package. I will be the first to trade up my Z for that one....
oook stop busting on me man
Old 03-05-2003, 03:58 PM
DrDrilZ

Originally posted by djkern
drop silverstone? no way....it's probably the hottest seller (well, maybe below daytona blue). the rest....i agree.
i'd bet that chrome silver is the best seller. i doubt that daytona blue is the top seller. i think that DB is more popular with car enthusiasts right now. and these are the people that post on forums. thats my theory for why it seems like there seems to be a lot a blue Z's.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:11 PM
dczoner

Originally posted by djkern
I'm not saying Silverstone isn't the hottest seller (I'm pretty sure it is), I'm just saying that they need to replace it with a Gunmetal color - I think having a bigger seperation between the silvers would improve recognition on the sales floor.

Plus, I really was hoping my car would be a gunmetal color - I didn't think they would actually put 2 colors like that so close together. Unless you park a Silverstone next to a light colored car, you really can't tell that its the "dark silver" car.

Quick Reply: 2004 year changes