Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:38 AM
MasterRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slinksZ
ok they started my consumption last wednesday. They had me drive 500 to 700 miles which I thought was strange because every other dealer has you go 1000 miles according to this thread. I checked the oil when they did the first oil change and it was right at the high mark. I let the car sit all night and checked it this morning and it was a little more than than a quarter of the way down from the H mark. I do not know for sure how much this is. What killed me was the dealer told me that it did not burn any oil at all, lucky I checked it and service manager and I went around. Does any one know how much oil actually registers on the dip stick itself?

Yep 1000 miles it is for return check on the oil consumption, I took mine to the dealer on Tues and they did an oil change and spoke with the master tech about the problem that I noticed with oil level. He said that they had not heard of any Z's having problems with oil consumption. He did mention however that the Altimas had a recall for oil consumption, not the VQ. I am now awaiting the 1000 mile interval and I do alot of highway and local road driving. I am driving it like I normally do and I will post anything that the dealer finds!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:00 AM
cox

Today my dealer phoned me and told that they're going to replace my engine with a new one.... now it's official....
Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 AM
cox

they are going to replace the entire engine and not only the short block...
Old 12-28-2006, 07:12 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by ***

Sweet, +1 for the good guys ! haha
Old 12-28-2006, 08:58 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by ***
Good deal! Keep us posted on the results of your change out.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
doctorshumes

From the Low mark to the High mark is suppose to be 1 quart. This is supposed to be the same on all/most cars. Make them check the oil level with you there and then state that it was at the high mark initially. You may have to let the car sit for >2-3 hrs as I notice if the car sits over night, the oil level reads higher then if you check it 1 hr after driving it. Keep on them, continue to do the oil consumption check. Have them check it at 1,000 miles, and 1,500, all the way to 3,000.

Also, as mentioned in previous posts...does anyone know that replacing the engine with a long block actually fix the problem. Seems like if Nissan is not sure what the problem is then what good would a new engine with the same defects, either mechanical or programming, do for anyone. Could someone with an 06 MT Rev-up engine please comment on whether or not a new engine (short or long block) did or did not solve the oil consumption problem.

Last edited by doctorshumes; 12-29-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new short block did not fix my oil problem. it still sucks down 1 quart every 1,000 miles on average.

I'm waiting till Nissan figures out what's wrong with some of these 06 rev ups before I deal with the dealer again, since all they do is create more problems, oil leaks, dents, scratches etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:21 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by Chad68
A new short block did not fix my oil problem. it still sucks down 1 quart every 1,000 miles on average.

I'm waiting till Nissan figures out what's wrong with some of these 06 rev ups before I deal with the dealer again, since all they do is create more problems, oil leaks, dents, scratches etc.
You're telling me that they are actually damaging the your body with dings and mars!!!!!!! Time for more compensation or litgation
Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 AM
ZPHILE

Default Engine Builder's response to this issue

Guys, I wanted to get the opinion of a professional engine builder/modder of the Z. So, I PM'd Sharif from Forged Internals. His response, to me, was reasuring in that there was indeed a solution in sight - build the thing right with quality components. Here's what he said:

Re: Oil Consumption of 2006 Rev-up Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Sharif, I know that you do FI mods. However, I was wondering if you have worked with any 6MT 35annv Z's or the 6MT 2006 engines. Stock, some have oil consumption problems (about 1Qt used/1K miles). If you have, does any engine building or mods by you or anyone can fix this? Some folks thinks it's the VVT addition from the factory on this engine. Please let me know what you think. There's a thread on the oil consumption if you're curious. Thanks.

High oil consumption is defintely a factory defect of some kind. The engine has clearances issues...guaranteed. Will the dealer warranty the engine for you?

But to answer your question, a fresh rebuild will fix the problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:26 PM
doctorshumes

I would like to retract my previous statement that higher revs would increase oil consumption. The first 1,000 miles with RP 5W30 I shifted around 3K rpm and drove the car mostly between 2-3K rpm. On the highway I would run around 65 mph in 6th gear. It burned about 1/2 quart in 1,000 miles. After reading that some people noticed less oil consumption with increased revs and harder driving, I decided to give that a try. Over the past 1,000 miles with the same oil I have shifted around 4k rpm or so and on the interstate I try to keep the rpms around 3K or higher. I have also driven 120 straight highway miles each way (240 miles total/round trip) these last two weekends (480 miles+ highway). Now I am only about 3/5 to 2/3 of a quart low according to the oil stick. I did NOT add oil after the first 1,000 miles and so really I have lost < 1/3 quart over the past 1,000 miles with increased revs. Either the car likes being 1/2 quart low or it likes the increased revs as several other people have noted. Car has 8,000 miles now. Maybe the rings are still seating?? Maybe the VVT??? Not sure. I will try another 1,000 miles with increased revs and check the oil weekly. Higher reving and harder driving would cause the ECU to try to maximize the amount clean air through the intake and decrease the duty cycle of the EGR and other envionmental friendly systems. I dont think this would change the PCV system though. Damn, I need to install a catch can to quantify the amount of oil lost throught the PCV system.

Last edited by doctorshumes; 01-01-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
BlackZero6

my z got its long block replaced last wednesday ,it ate 4 3/4 of oil in 2500miles . as of now the z has 28k .if the prob happens again i will hurt someone. pm me if u guys have any ?s
Old 01-01-2007, 11:58 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by BlackZero6
my z got its long block replaced last wednesday ,it ate 4 3/4 of oil in 2500miles . as of now the z has 28k .if the prob happens again i will hurt someone. pm me if u guys have any ?s
Jesus, almost 5 quarts!!!!!!!! I thought I had it bad. My Z's consumption has decreased for some reason, it used to consume about 1/2 quart in 500-600 miles. Now its been almost 2000 miles, and its only down about 1/2 quart. Is your car an 06?? Let us know what happens after 1,000 miles of driving. Im dying to find out if the new long block you have fixed the problem. Others have got new long blocks that still burn oil. Good luck, hopefully the new motor cured the problem. Keep us posted!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
rfinkle2

going through the oil consumption test now.

I know that it will be a tough fight...

i've had pinging issues (although less now that the weather is cold),

and was even told to replace my k&n drop-in because that may be causing the problem...LOL.

btw , I've yet to mod @ all given the pinging, and now that I see that Nissan could even try to use a drop in air filter as the cause of a problem,

I'll BE GETTING RID OF THIS CAR VERY SOON!...
Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

FYI- for those who are talking about driving style etc effecting oil comsumption (to the point of burning as much as we're talking), I just asked a friend who drives Top Fuel dragsters and has his own 900hp Mustang.

His Mustang burns virtually no oil...... it ain't driving style.... it's a defect.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
FYI- for those who are talking about driving style etc effecting oil comsumption (to the point of burning as much as we're talking), I just asked a friend who drives Top Fuel dragsters and has his own 900hp Mustang.

His Mustang burns virtually no oil...... it ain't driving style.... it's a defect.
A defect Nissan will not own up to either!

My dealer was supposed to call Nissan Tech to find out what to do next. I had to call him back before Christmas and ask him why he never contacted me. He said he had to check with the service manager as he was the one dealing with it. As of today, no further call. Tomorrow, I will call back again. GREAT SERVICE NISSAN!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:37 PM
BlackZero6

yes its an 06...im praying for no consumption this time
Old 01-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
I would like to retract my previous statement that higher revs would increase oil consumption. The first 1,000 miles with RP 5W30 I shifted around 3K rpm and drove the car mostly between 2-3K rpm. On the highway I would run around 65 mph in 6th gear. It burned about 1/2 quart in 1,000 miles. After reading that some people noticed less oil consumption with increased revs and harder driving, I decided to give that a try. Over the past 1,000 miles with the same oil I have shifted around 4k rpm or so and on the interstate I try to keep the rpms around 3K or higher. I have also driven 120 straight highway miles each way (240 miles total/round trip) these last two weekends (480 miles+ highway). Now I am only about 3/5 to 2/3 of a quart low according to the oil stick. I did NOT add oil after the first 1,000 miles and so really I have lost < 1/3 quart over the past 1,000 miles with increased revs. Either the car likes being 1/2 quart low or it likes the increased revs as several other people have noted. Car has 8,000 miles now. Maybe the rings are still seating?? Maybe the VVT??? Not sure. I will try another 1,000 miles with increased revs and check the oil weekly. Higher reving and harder driving would cause the ECU to try to maximize the amount clean air through the intake and decrease the duty cycle of the EGR and other envionmental friendly systems. I dont think this would change the PCV system though. Damn, I need to install a catch can to quantify the amount of oil lost throught the PCV system.

In regards to your statement that maybe the Z likes being 1/2 quart low.

I wonder the same thing too. I wonder if it's possible that for whatever reason that when you fill a rev up engine to the Full mark, that it's for whatever reason Too much oil and it burns it up and spits it out the tail pipe?

One thing I have noticed is that lately I can't seem to get the oil level to read at the full mark. I let the car sit for about 2 hours and check the level and it was exactly in the middle (1/2 quart low). I then added exactlly 1/2 quart and let it sit for 2 more hours and it went to the 7/8ths mark. Then I added 1/8 of a quart and let it sit and it still read 7/8ths full.

I'm kinda at the point now where I don't really give a crap how much it burns, as long as it has enough and doesn't blow up, I guess it's all good

(will work for new engine)

Or sue Nissan
Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
doctorshumes

I agree that the oil stick is deceptive. It read 1/2 way between H and L so I added 1/2 quart of oil. Ran the engine for about 20-30 miles of city driving, let it sit overnight, and the next morning it read just over 3/4 full. When I first do an oil change and use exactly 5 quarts the stick reads right at the H mark. Today, the stick read 1/3 above the L mark so I added 3/4 of a quart and then drove 20 minutes to work. 8 hours later it read around 3/4 full so I added the additional 1/4 quart and drove home. The engine does seem to be smoother with the increased oil. Maybe its placebo, who knows. I will check it again tomorrow morning. Also, I plan on switching to heavier 10W40 RP and see if that helps any. I should make the local dealership aware of the problem, but 1. Its burning only 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles. 2. I do not believe Nissan has fixed the problem yet. 3. I have a popcharger and Nismo exhaust that I would prefer to take off prior to taking it in.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
aren21

^Is the car parked on a perfectly flat surface everytime you check the oil?? I know what you mean, its like not all the oil you pour in registers on the dipstick, its pretty weird....and stupid. Everytime I use the dipstick I wonder what idiot designed it.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by aren21
^Is the car parked on a perfectly flat surface everytime you check the oil?? I know what you mean, its like not all the oil you pour in registers on the dipstick, its pretty weird....and stupid. Everytime I use the dipstick I wonder what idiot designed it.
I've been checking mine on the same shop floor, which is totally level.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion