Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wcn jeff said there is a new engine thats out but i went there for my test and they told me that no is getting a new engine yet. im seriously confused here. some are getting new engine and some arent?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by myZter
wcn jeff said there is a new engine thats out but i went there for my test and they told me that no is getting a new engine yet. im seriously confused here. some are getting new engine and some arent?
well according to Heri NNA has told them no more changes for a while except in really bad cases. Its probably because they were waiting for that TSB to come out. All should be well now. The only reason I got my V2 motor is because I went through BBB and NNA. Your case gets sent to the arbitration dept automatically when you call BBB and that gets the ball rolling. When I called BBB and NNA, Matt London from the Arbitration dept of NNA called and said he had ordered me the revised motor. I called Heri to let him know (because WCN had done my V1 swap a couple weeks earlier), he said he had heard nothing and it would probably be a while because there was close to 10 people on the list ahead of me. Well 3 days later Heri called and said he didnt know how but my motor was the first to come in.

Moral of story....stick it to NNA...get the BBB involved.

Last edited by 9kFever; 11-30-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
ZeeForce

Default TSB - Finally It's Here!

Through my resources I have obtained a hard copy of the TSB. The one we have been waiting on for 2 years.

NNA just released it on 11/27/07.

I will post it up in awhile.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
ZeeForce

Default TSB - Finally Released - Good News for All

Nissan releases TSB NTB07-088: 2005- 2006 350Z: Engine Oil Level Is Low

Released: 11/27/07

Applied Vehicles: 2006 350Z (Z33) with M/T: 2005 350Z (Z33) Track and 35th Anniversary Edition with M/T

Good news for oil consuming engines, after 2 years of fighting with the dealer and NNA. NNA finally released a Technical Service Bulletin that will now take only a visit to the dealer to record an oil fill (top off) plus one more visit maybe two, for a look up on the Oil Consumption Chart to determine if the engine is to be replaced at the dealer level. In the past their was this long agonizing painful process of arguing with the dealer and NNA to accept responsibility of a mechanical defect in the engine, that 1 qt per 1k mi was unacceptable. Today the dealers have a guidelines set forth for all dealers to comply with, not to mention we now have the same chart.

Basically the TSB is if the engine is consuming more than 2mm below the top of the “H” crosshatch mark within 0-500 miles from an dealer recorded” check and refill oil level”, or an “oil and filter change”, the engine will be replaced (may need two recordings) with the V2 part # 10102-AC7MZ. No more hassles, no more ignorant dealers saying “It’s normal to consume 1 qt per every 3k mi oil intervals”.

Ok, now in layman terms:
Oil level is >1/8 qt (3mm) low, car has 2k mi on current oil change.
Have dealer confirm the reading and document on your file, dealer tops off oil and tells you to come back in 1k mi.
500 mi later you check it and its >1/8 qt low, take it to dealer to confirm reading and your engine will be replaced. It’s that simple.

Congrats to everyone waiting in the wings hoping their OC will reach what used to be the standard 1qt per 1ki miles for an engine replacement, can now line up Monday morning at their dealer with this TSB in hand and get an engine replaced.

Good News for All !

Print it, share it, keep this post handy, and pass it on to the next enthusiast.

Cheers
-Curtis

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0001.jpg RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0002.jpg RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0003.jpg RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0004.jpg RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0005.jpg

SEE THE REST OF THE TSB (BELOW)
Old 12-01-2007, 06:26 PM
ZeeForce

Default TSB - Finally Released - Good News for All

Page 2 for:

TSB NTB07-088: 2005- 2006 350Z: Engine Oil Level Is Low

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0006.jpg RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0007.jpg RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-2006_ntb07-088_0008.jpg
Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
ZeeForce

Default V2 Update - 100k Extended Warranty

I also have some good news – I WAS JUST APPROVED for a 60/MO 100K MI EXTENDED WARRANTY ON MY V2. For those who do not know my case, I DID NOT go through BBB and arbitration, as most that did go that route, NNA threw in the extended warranty. I fought on my own with NNA and having the support and backup from my dealer on receiving a replacement engine.
As I said in my first post on getting a replacement, treat the dealer good, they have all the weight to get your replacement. This has been confirmed twice now with my talks with (several that I had assigned to my case) NNA regional rep. As the regional (Amy Grodinski) phrased it, “the dealer has the day to day, face to face contact with the owner, and we (NNA) only know you as a voice on the phone, so yeh we weigh a lot on what the dealer recommends.” This weighed on my extended warranty and when my regional went to bat for me on the extended warranty. Her supervisor said, “what, he thinks because everyone else received an extended warranty, that I should give him one also? Amy went to bat and said no it’s not because of that. It’s because …blah …blah …blah. I never did find out what she BS’d him on, all that matters is I have it and tickled to death.

Do not get me wrong, I am all for the BBB and I am still contemplating it, depending how the engine behaves after the break in period, at that point I will weigh out my options.

One more thing, and I know this may stir up the pot, so first “IT’S ONLY A RUMOR” , HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPVINE” from my NNA regional rep.

I asked NNA last Weds when I got word I was getting the 100k warranty, if there were any news on a possible newer engine than the V2, because some folk are still consuming oil on the V2, including myself, down 1/4 qt within 2500 miles during the engine break in period? Amy Grodinski is my current NNA regional rep, she stated “There ARE talks of newer revision of the current replacement engine”. So there it is I am taking it with a grain of sand. It would be nice, but not holding my breath. If so, then I will be down there faster than stink to get it replaced with latest VQ.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 12-01-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Nissan releases TSB NTB07-088: 2005- 2006 350Z: Engine Oil Level Is Low

Released: 11/27/07

Applied Vehicles: 2006 350Z (Z33) with M/T: 2005 350Z (Z33) Track and 35th Anniversary Edition with M/T

Good news for oil consuming engines, after 2 years of fighting with the dealer and NNA. NNA finally released a Technical Service Bulletin that will now take only a visit to the dealer to record an oil fill (top off) plus one more visit maybe two, for a look up on the Oil Consumption Chart to determine if the engine is to be replaced at the dealer level. In the past their was this long agonizing painful process of arguing with the dealer and NNA to accept responsibility of a mechanical defect in the engine, that 1 qt per 1k mi was unacceptable. Today the dealers have a guidelines set forth for all dealers to comply with, not to mention we now have the same chart.

Basically the TSB is if the engine is consuming more than 2mm below the top of the “H” crosshatch mark within 0-500 miles from an dealer recorded” check and refill oil level”, or an “oil and filter change”, the engine will be replaced (may need two recordings) with the V2 part # 10102-AC7MZ. No more hassles, no more ignorant dealers saying “It’s normal to consume 1 qt per every 3k mi oil intervals”.

Ok, now in layman terms:
Oil level is >1/8 qt (3mm) low, car has 2k mi on current oil change.
Have dealer confirm the reading and document on your file, dealer tops off oil and tells you to come back in 1k mi.
500 mi later you check it and its >1/8 qt low, take it to dealer to confirm reading and your engine will be replaced. It’s that simple.

Congrats to everyone waiting in the wings hoping their OC will reach what used to be the standard 1qt per 1ki miles for an engine replacement, can now line up Monday morning at their dealer with this TSB in hand and get an engine replaced.

Good News for All !

Print it, share it, keep this post handy, and pass it on to the next enthusiast.

Cheers
-Curtis

Attachment 169289 Attachment 169290 Attachment 169291 Attachment 169292 Attachment 169293

SEE THE REST OF THE TSB (BELOW)
But wait according to the chart 18mm of consumption is "good" for 2501-3000 miles. 18mm is just at or over a qt no? Thats exactly where my oil level was and my car was down 1.2 qts

this is assuming top to bottom of the checkered section is 1.5 qts.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM
ZeeForce

True, 18mm at 2501-3000 mi is OK. assuming top to bottom is 1.5 gts low.

Although it is not. see my next post.

18mm = 3/4 qt
Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 PM
ZeeForce

Default Oil loss on dipstick between the H & L cross hatch marks?

Guys I have personally confirmed the question a lot of have posted up on, including myself.

Q: How much oil loss is there between the H” & L” cross hatch marks on the dipstick.
A: 1 quart

Confirmation: Today I had the dealer change the oil on my 05 SS (same oil capacity -5 qt as the 06). I was able to stand next to the car the entire time and we poured in 3 quarts and it did not even register on the dipstick. Poured the 4th quart in and it registered on the last cross hatch mark at the bottom of the “L”. I was also informed that all manufactures (Ford, Toyota, GMC etc) all use the same standards on the dipstick as to the amount of oil low which is 1 quart. It’s an industry standard within the manufactures to all keep their “L & H” marks on the dipstick to be the same.

Oh, and we did crank the engine after 3 qrts were poured in, to get oil into the oil filter. Then we poured the fourth quart in and let it sit for 20-30 minutes, checked the hash mark at it was spot on the 24 mm mark (bottom cross hatch mark).

Last edited by ZeeForce; 12-01-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 PM
9kFever

Guys I have personally confirmed the question a lot of have posted up on, including myself.

Q: How much oil loss is there between the H” & L” cross hatch marks on the dipstick.
A: 1 quart

Confirmation: Today I had the dealer change the oil on my 05 SS (same oil capacity -5 qt as the 06). I was able to stand next to the car the entire time and we poured in 3 quarts and it did not even register on the dipstick. Poured the 4th quart in and it registered on the last cross hatch mark at the bottom of the “L”. I was also informed that all manufactures (Ford, Toyota, GMC etc) all use the same standards on the dipstick as to the amount of oil low which is 1 quart. It’s an industry standard within the manufactures to all keep their “L & H” marks on the dipstick to be the same.
HMMM, thats what I originally thought but then though it was 1.5 because even when the oil is registering between h and l my car does not drain out more than 4 qts. I can leave it draining for hours and that wont happen. Also when it is at say 18mm it always takes about a qt to get it just below the H
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 9kFever
HMMM, thats what I originally thought but then though it was 1.5 because even when the oil is registering between h and l my car does not drain out more than 4 qts. I can leave it draining for hours and that wont happen. Also when it is at say 18mm it always takes about a qt to get it just below the H

Right on!

I believe Nissan has taken the whole quart loss equation out of this OC chart and is using the ruler on the dipstick. I tend to like this, takes all the " Is it 1 or 1.5, if I am 3/4 down the dipstick I must be either 3/4 or 1.5 qts low". Is it possible too much oil was filled or topped off, due to not letting it sit for 20-30 minutes as it drained to the oil pan?

We were very careful and precise with the procedure to confirm that it is 1 qt bewteen the L and H hash marks.

It's time to get out the ruler guys.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 12-01-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:31 PM
9kFever

Right on!

I believe Nissan has taken the whole quart loss equation out of this OC chart and is using the ruler on the dipstick. I tend to like this, takes all the " Is it 1 or 1.5, if I am 3/4 down the dipstick I must be either 3/4 or 1.5 qts low". Is it possible too much oil was filled or topped off, due to not letting it sit for 20-30 minutes as it drained to the oil pan?

We were very careful and precise with the procedure to confirm that it is 1 qt bewteen the L and H hash marks.

It's time to get out the ruler guys.
cool....well as long as my car falls into the category as a consumer I am cool with it. I would hate to have a motor on the border line.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Mid117

Wow....finally we got a break.

Should we expect a letter from Nissan, offering every rev-up owner a new V2 motor?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 PM
ZeeForce

^ (9kFever) How is the buy back or replacement going? Was this an option under the Calif Lemon Law, after you conferred with BBB?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Mid117
Wow....finally we got a break.

Should we expect a letter from Nissan, offering every rev-up owner a new V2 motor?
Nope, they got that covered in the owner’s manual. It is still up to the owner to check the oil level. We now have documentation to take to the shady and ignorant dealers and say fix it, here it is in writing. Good news is NNA is taken out of the loop with the approval process. If it fails the dealer can order the replacement directly.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM
ZeeForce

Funny you should mention the letter to all owners. It was Weds 11/28/07 that I asked NNA about a letter and/or recall, she said nope, case by case. Heard that one one too many times before. Then BAM the TSB is released the day before. Guess I did not ask the correct question: Recall / Letter vs TSB.

I can imagine the G35 guys should be under the same OC chart rules.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:53 PM
9kFever

^ (9kFever) How is the buy back or replacement going? Was this an option under the Calif Lemon Law, after you conferred with BBB?
Still haven't recieved a call from NNA. You know how that goes. I honestly dont know if my car is covered under lemon law. I bought it in 10/06 with 7000 miles. It has 22k miles now and I brought it in a little after 18k miles I think. I am going to play the "What will Nissan do for a loyal customer" route. My family has always been a Nissan family and we have 3 Nissans right now.

Trade in value is right at what I paid for my 35th Anniversary (25k~got a steal!). Im hoping maybe Nissan will just offer a check if they dont want to give me a replacement because then I can trade in the car (paying it off) and use the check (I know they offered that one member 5k) for a down payment on maybe another Z, 335i, STi, or EVO 9
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
ZeeForce

Still haven't recieved a call from NNA. You know how that goes. I honestly dont know if my car is covered under lemon law. I bought it in 10/06 with 7000 miles. It has 22k miles now and I brought it in a little after 18k miles I think. I am going to play the "What will Nissan do for a loyal customer" route. My family has always been a Nissan family and we have 3 Nissans right now.

Trade in value is right at what I paid for my 35th Anniversary (25k~got a steal!). Im hoping maybe Nissan will just offer a check if they dont want to give me a replacement because then I can trade in the car (paying it off) and use the check (I know they offered that one member 5k) for a down payment on maybe another Z, 335i, STi, or EVO 9

NNA has been bombarded with calls on the 700,000 recalls on the Altima and Sentra’s. Be persistent, keep leaving the voice mails, escalate if need be, I did and she called me, could have ripped her a new a-hole, thought otherwise and put on the schmoozer hat, and look what it got me? An extended 100k warranty.

I am sure they will see you are a loyal customer with 3 in the family, that is a good one I used it, it’s true though I was the original owner of a 1978 280Z up until 1996 (stolen). But I used with them and they do take it into consideration.

Would you take another V2 if they offered it? Maybe you got a Monday engine builder that had too many beers Sunday night.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 PM
9kFever

NNA has been bombarded with calls on the 700,000 recalls on the Altima and Sentra’s. Be persistent, keep leaving the voice mails, escalate if need be, I did and she called me, could have ripped her a new a-hole, thought otherwise and put on the schmoozer hat, and look what it got me? An extended 100k warranty.

I am sure they will see you are a loyal customer with 3 in the family, that is a good one I used it, it’s true though I was the original owner of a 1978 280Z up until 1996 (stolen). But I used with them and they do take it into consideration.

Would you take another V2 if they offered it? Maybe you got a Monday engine builder that had too many beers Sunday night.
Im not taking another v2 unless it comes with 5000$ too. I went through BBB so it is the arbitration dept I am dealing with and not the normal NNA. When I call all they can do is send internal messages to the arbitration dept. This happened last time until they finally got back to me. My dad had a 280z as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
ZeeForce

Im not taking another v2 unless it comes with 5000$ too. I went through BBB so it is the arbitration dept I am dealing with and not the normal NNA. When I call all they can do is send internal messages to the arbitration dept. This happened last time until they finally got back to me. My dad had a 280z as well.
Sounds like a good rounded off figure.

Then NNA’s arbitration dept has no excuse for not calling your BBB rep back in a timely manner...bastards

k...now I am starting to feel old.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion