Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JUst curious are these guys at the dealership collecting the oil and measuring it, or are they just looking at the dipstick? because my dipstick read half empty the other day, and when i added about 1/2 COURT of oil that damn thing read full. i ended up checking that dang dipstick all day and it read full all day. So my guess is that MY dipstick is a dipSH**
Old 01-05-2007, 12:33 AM
cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some pics of my old pistons (new engine arrived!)
Attached Thumbnails RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-foto0010.jpg   RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-foto0012.jpg   RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-foto0015.jpg   RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-foto0016.jpg   RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-foto0017.jpg  

Old 01-05-2007, 01:36 AM
aren21

Thats amazing and dissapointing at the same time. You would expect that kind of build up on a car with LOTS of miles, im talking over 100k, or a car thats not running properly, which is the case here. Hey at least you got a new engine. Let us know if the new one is ok or not.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 AM
ZPHILE

Thanks for the pics - I've got to get to the dealer ASAP!!!!!!! Hope the new engine is a fix.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ***
some pics of my old pistons (new engine arrived!)

F%CK man. How many miles are on those pistons/rings?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:49 AM
350Z_LMS

that's just under 50000kms believe it or not. no wonder he was getting pinging (I have the same problem)...I'm doing a consumption test and i should be following suit very soon, I'll also be posting pics...I have a feeling mine look exactly the same
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

my oil changes..

03 IS300 ( this car has 85k miles now) oil change every 10k with Mobile 1 15k miles.
lost 1q every oil change.

06 350Z GT (this car has 8.5k miles now) oil change 4k with nissan dealer's oil? (i had free oil change)
lost 2q.........
just changed oil with Mobile 1 15k miles my self 4 days. ago ..
so far about 100 miles... oil is full...
i will update when i hit about 500mileish..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
aren21

Hey guys I noticed the oil is at the halfway mark on the dipstick for the last 750-1k miles. I lost about 1/2 quart in the first 1,000. Now im at 2k and its still only 1/2 quart low. The car has 15k miles on it, and I dont get how this is possible. If it only had under 5k miles, then Id say the rings finally broke in. But at 15k miles????? Im just going to keep watching to see what happens I guess. Im not going to bother taking it in since they havent found a fix yet.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
mx350z

Default My First Post

Got my 06 M/T at Jun, jack up the front end of the car for my first oil change at 500mi it only got 3.5 quart out from motor(1.5 quart low??) added 5 quarts dino oil checked after work the oil level is H, then I was keeping my eyes on the dipstick, for the first 200mi it was 1/2 quart low per the dipstick so I added 1/2 quart 500mi later per the dipstick is 1/2 low again, I have to add 1 quart for <1k I was thing to get a new motor, but per this forum Nissa is still working on this problem so I wait and have fun with the car

2nd oil change it is pretty much the same as the first one, but I changed M1 oil after 3k the oil was all black and the motor was noise, I think the motor is not ready for Synthetic so I will go back with dino oil for my next oil change.

3rd oil change, I found out there is something I have been doing wrong here is what I did, only "Jack up the front end of the car" this will make the oil pan in angle so not all the oil will come out (1/2 quart still in the motor???I don't know), so I jack the hold car this time got 4.8 quarts out from the motor .2 quart + 1 quart I added for the first 1.5k burned I think they burn because too much oil in the motor, I forgot to check oil level after the this oil change but checked at 200mi is 1/2 quart low again at 800mi still only 1/2 low I'm not going to add any oil

So why I added 5 quarts for the first oil change + the oil still in the oil pan the dipstick will read right at the H mark not over the H? and when I add 1/2 quart in it will burn out with in 200mi but not keep burning per sure there are some 06 Z are burning oil but in this case I think it is something wrong with the dipstick.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:49 PM
ZPHILE

Default Been to the dealer today - will start oil-consump at 1-16-07

Here's what I got: Called service manager at Valencia Nissan to try to get some info about what he may know on the oil consumption on the '06 6MT 300hp engine. Left message that told him I'm losing 1qt/1k miles driven. No response/call back. Went to stealership and stood around as the service mgr. I left message with walked by me couple of times. Finally confronted him and he acknowleged who he was. Told him about my message, he said - haven't got to my messages (whatever). Also, got the crap quote: "1000mi/1qt is normal Nissan standard!!!!". Well, not in my book! Got on schedule for this Tuesday for leak/oil consumption test. Will keep posted what happens. Wife was with me - we both got bad feeling about the response here. Any better dealerships to handle this in SoCal???
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Here's what I got: Called service manager at Valencia Nissan to try to get some info about what he may know on the oil consumption on the '06 6MT 300hp engine. Left message that told him I'm losing 1qt/1k miles driven. No response/call back. Went to stealership and stood around as the service mgr. I left message with walked by me couple of times. Finally confronted him and he acknowleged who he was. Told him about my message, he said - haven't got to my messages (whatever). Also, got the crap quote: "1000mi/1qt is normal Nissan standard!!!!". Well, not in my book! Got on schedule for this Tuesday for leak/oil consumption test. Will keep posted what happens. Wife was with me - we both got bad feeling about the response here. Any better dealerships to handle this in SoCal???

How many miles a year do you plan on putting on your car?

Figure out your yearly miles driven. For every 1,000 miles, add a quart of oil to the number. Then convert your figure into number of gallons of oil your car is burning each year.

12,000 miles a year transalets to 3 gallons of oil each year.

Give that figure to the EPA and ask them what they think about a brand new $30,000+ car that burns a few GALLONS of oil each year.

I'd be willing to bet that the EPA would have something to say aboiut that.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 PM
ZPHILE

++++1 to that Chad68! Talked to another service manager today(Performance Nissan BTW) and he agrees that 1Qt/1kmi is ridiculous! Have appt. with them tomorrow morn. Thanks for the support u guys!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:04 PM
cox

i have a new engine in my Z...
I'll let you know if the new engine will fix the problem...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by Chad68
How many miles a year do you plan on putting on your car?

Figure out your yearly miles driven. For every 1,000 miles, add a quart of oil to the number. Then convert your figure into number of gallons of oil your car is burning each year.

12,000 miles a year transalets to 3 gallons of oil each year.

Give that figure to the EPA and ask them what they think about a brand new $30,000+ car that burns a few GALLONS of oil each year.

I'd be willing to bet that the EPA would have something to say aboiut that.
BTW - with me already at 13.5K and planning on ~ 45K this year - make that ~ 9 Gals this year alone! With Mobile1 ~ $30/case that's a waste of money and the environment at the same time!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
350Z_LMS

exactly
Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
luvZcar

Originally Posted by ***
i have a new engine in my Z...
I'll let you know if the new engine will fix the problem...
+2 just got a new engine in my Z it did eat a qt of oil evey 500miles got 100miles on the new engine a and am wishing for the best and got to say the guys at my dealership where very good to me thanks Tony,Kyle,Jason & Richie
Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Got Me WORKIN

Da Money....
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
ZPHILE

Exclamation Just finished 1st Consump. Test - Change of Oil changed consumption.

First off let me give u my results. After the 1st consumption test, (700mi as per Performance Nissan's instructions) I was down .25qt. That's compared to my previous 1qt+/1000mi with Mobil1 syn 10-30. Here's the changes - dealer put in Valvoline all climate (dino-oil). That's it! In isolating problems (my past engineering life) you eliminate as many variables as possible. Therefore, I drove the same and tried to do everything the same. Only change was the oil. Not saying this is the solution for all BUT it may be for some.

Now here's the debate that I'm stirring (as substantianted by the posts below) - dino oil can help in some cases for the '06 problem. Other's have said it and hinted at it - I'm thinking it's true. Will report back after the next 700mi. Check out the posts below. BTW - per the owner's manual Mobil1 is NOT 'API Service SL' as recommended but S/M /something else. Someone straighten this out if you know there's a diff. or not. My comments below in RED

I never started buring until I started using synthetic. I might need to go thicker. I have an 05 model. Vizage – 12-14-06

My consumption was worse with conventional. I'm thinking of going back to it and see what happens. Well see what Nissan is going to do first. Next oil change though, it is back to conventional. dBasal – 12-15-06 (one of the few to observe this)

I would say that most with oil consumption problems seem to be the 06 MT Revup engines. It also seems to be oil dependent. Penzoil worse then Mobil, worse then RP. My 06 MT has 6400 miles on it. With Penzoil it burned about a 1/2 - 2/3 quart per 1,000 miles. Thats with shifting around 3-4K rpm, 5K rarely, and not downshifting. Not horrible compared to some, but honestly it should not be burning ANY oil and if it is a ring problem it is likely to only get worse. Im running RP 5W30 now and at 400 miles included 2 trips of 90 miles, the oil is still at the top level. Nissan still doesnt have a solution for the sentra or altima oil consumption problem, that im aware of, other then to have the owners check it very regularly. Hopefully the Z oil consumption problem is something simple. Are the G35s burning oil as well??? Im not going to push the issue right now because 1. my oil consumption isnt horrible. 2. What are they going to do other then replace the engine with another engine with the same **** problems. I will wait until the figure it out or my problem gets untolerable. - Doctorshumes – 11-26-06

We have both tried different oil types and Mobil seem the worst of the lot. 350Z LMS – 11-27-06

"That high vacuum is pulling oil into the combustion chamber due to variable valve timing." Alrific – 11-28-06

I'm getting some oil consumption, as soon as i switched over to synthetic. Vq. Turbo. Dremz – 11-28-06

If you race your car, you should expect it to lose a quart or two quarts by 3k miles, especially synthetic oil. 97Supratt – 11-30-06

So, if you have synthetic oil as I do and the recommended oil change is at 5k, you are out of oil by the time it is recommended to change it. dBasal – 12-09-06

Note: engine before break-in doesn’t count. Rings need to be seated, etc… If after break-in you got issues. Then that makes sense.

My first oil change was to royal purple 10W30. It started drinking more oil, so I changed to redline 10W40 which sorta helped but it still consumes. 97Supratt – 12-12-06 BTW –RP is a syn as is Redline (correct me if I’m wrong)

I read in another thread to quit using mobil 1 and this would help. I really find this hard to believe, considering I have always ran mobile 1. Has any one else heard this? Slinksz -12-12-06 (This particular post was ignored by all – including me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsazabi
why going back to regular? Is Mobile 1 burning too fast for ya?

LOL, Im going back to dyno on the next change the mobil 1 is burnin a quart every 900-1000 miles its getting ridiculous – gNarKill 01-03-07

Q: What kind of oil should I use? What brand of oil and filter is recommended?

A: The owner's manual suggests using "dino oil", that is, non-synthetic. Your engine takes 5 quarts of oil when you change the filter (and you should always change the filter with the oil). Recommended oil change intervals are 3750 miles. Try to stick to this, or keep it under 4k miles at least. There is not much benefit to changing your oil more often, unless you track your car or put it under extreme conditions frequently.

Some owners have reported excess loss of oil using synthetic such as mobil1. If you are not sure what to use, stick with regular old dino oil. Zand02max – 12-29-06

My consumption was worse with conventional. I'm thinking of going back to it and see what happens. Well see what Nissan is going to do first. Next oil change though, it is back to conventional. dBasal – 12-15-06

I mentioned this to the tech at the dealer last time i was there. They did the consumption test, but the oil they used was a regular oil, not synthetic.
I figured, if it's gonna break let it break now so i ran the car very hard
I mean shifting at redline, rpm's hardly ever bellow 4000 rpm, agressive downshifting, and of course I allways revmatch. Ran it like this for the 1000 miles, then took it back. The car used only about 1/3 of a quarter

So of course the tech said that this is not bad, and i had to agree. Sasha350 – 12-19-06 (THIS ONE is like me – It’s the OIL MAN!)

I had the same results. Chad68 (commenting on the above – I’m assuming the that oil change to dino oil was the same also) – 12-19-06

BTW – I’m like BOFA – want this over so that I can begin the mods. No need in adding another variable to the puzzle.

Last thing, some (dBasal I think) stated worse consumption with dino-oil. Just reporting what I've seen
Old 01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
aren21

I think you have a point there. I was talking to my dad (engine machinist) about the Z's consumption, and he told me to change the oil I used, and go back to regular and see if that helps. I will try it next time I get an oil change, but....Ive noticed that I burned 1/2 quart in 700 miles before my consumption test...now I burned 1/2 quart......in 2,300 miles!!!! Whats that about???
Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
350Z_LMS

went to Nissan for an oil change+filter (previously used Mobil and Motul sinthetic). did 1500kms and it's 800gr down (0,8kg). this is better than what it was but still unacceptable. it means I would change out all of the oil in the system by the time I do 10000km (half of the maintenance period). I have been told I should be down 0,5kg in roughly 8000-9000kms meaning I really shouldn't worry about measuring oil in between maintenance checks at the shop...in theory at least. Looks like I'll be getting a new engine soon. What worries me is the fact that no one has a clue as to what the cause could be

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion