Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 AM
SexyCBR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
Thanks for the info. We dont hate you, we just hate the oil consumption, which carries over to Nissan, which carries over to the dealership, and then the service department, and then you. Anyway, if you get a chance, try to read it through and it would also be helpful if you knew the TSB # or could scan it in and post it. If you would not get in trouble or could remain annonymous that is. It would help many of us if/when the dealership seems unaware. Also, when did this particular TSB comeout. Thanks again.
Hey I'm new to the site own a 2006 350Z and just learned about the oil consumption issue---could someone please help me---car is in shop as we speak but don't want them to lie about this issue. thanks,
Old 01-17-2007, 12:05 PM
dbasal

ZPhile,
Very well summed up. You are correct, mine seemed to lose more with conventional. I need to change back to really verify that, but it had just a dot of oil on the dipstick after 3000 miles. Since then though, I have always had it topped off at 1000 miles, so I really have yet to run a full 3000 miles with synthetic. I'll be changing though very shortly.

Here is another interesting piece of info that puzzles me with this. Right now I am down 1qt exaclty and it has been just about 2000 miles. Not so bad really, but not acceptable for sure. What I have noticed is that the first 500 miles I will down a quart. Then the consumption slows a little bit. For example, this time I was down 1/2 qt as always at 500 miles. At 1000 miles I was down 2/3 of a qt and now 1qt at 2000. Beats the crap out of me why this is.

On Friday I plan to visit the dealer again. I think Nissan has gotten sick of me though. They are no longer calling me back. Not even the regional consumer affairs guy. ARGH!

EDIT: I ran the conventional between the 4000 and 7000 mile mark.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by SexyCBR
Hey I'm new to the site own a 2006 350Z and just learned about the oil consumption issue---could someone please help me---car is in shop as we speak but don't want them to lie about this issue. thanks,
Start documenting and see what happens. Just make sure that the oil is full when you start. If you feel you have an issue, let them know and see what will be done for you.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by dbasal
ZPhile,
Here is another interesting piece of info that puzzles me with this. Right now I am down 1qt exaclty and it has been just about 2000 miles. Not so bad really, but not acceptable for sure. What I have noticed is that the first 500 miles I will down a quart. Then the consumption slows a little bit. For example, this time I was down 1/2 qt as always at 500 miles. At 1000 miles I was down 2/3 of a qt and now 1qt at 2000. Beats the crap out of me why this is.
Sounds to me like your rings never took a set. Also sounds like they may be doing it now. I would keep the dyno oil for sure and see if things keep improving. Mobil 1 may not work well for breaking in a engine for the micropolish that nissan uses in it's cylinders.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
Sounds to me like your rings never took a set. Also sounds like they may be doing it now. I would keep the dyno oil for sure and see if things keep improving. Mobil 1 may not work well for breaking in a engine for the micropolish that nissan uses in it's cylinders.
I would certainly be very happy if that is the case. I'll keep my fingers crossed. How long does that process normally take? I always thought it was in the first couple thousand miles.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
98sr20ve

I would certainly be very happy if that is the case. I'll keep my fingers crossed. How long does that process normally take? I always thought it was in the first couple thousand miles.
Well, it should normally. Think good thoughts.

This whole thing has me thinking. I am thinking of posting a poll to get some further ideas about items that could lead to these issues. I don't know how that would be recieved.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
VQLOVER

Wish Nissan would give all of 06mt owners with oil problems the redesigned VQ. Might actually save them money in cases where the same person might have multiple replacements. Just wishful thinking
Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 PM
dbasal

Well, it should normally. Think good thoughts.

This whole thing has me thinking. I am thinking of posting a poll to get some further ideas about items that could lead to these issues. I don't know how that would be recieved.
One never really knows around here

Some people will flame you if you say one bad thing about the car.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 AM
350Z_LMS

we just need to be objective. we love our cars and hey, **** happens. it's just a real pity...

anyway, in theory, oil consumption should increase with mileage, so I don't understand people saying consumption "settles" after a few thousand miles. this is another total mistery to me. and still, no real answers from nissan. this is really bad
Old 01-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Brocken

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
we just need to be objective. we love our cars and hey, **** happens. it's just a real pity...

anyway, in theory, oil consumption should increase with mileage, so I don't understand people saying consumption "settles" after a few thousand miles. this is another total mistery to me. and still, no real answers from nissan. this is really bad
I think the people that notice the consumption decreasing with mileage is because those cars were most likely consuming because of break in. If you burn for the first couple thousand and then it stops it would stand to reason that was due in part to the break in.
There are also cars, like mine, that get worse over time. Mine started out at 1 quart per 1k miles and after 5k miles on the odo it increased to 1 quart per 500 miles.
This was using the oil that Nissan put in the car. Nothing added myself.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Theatrix
Professional

I have to say that my consumption issue is worsening! I replace a qt now every week after driving approx 300 miles. It has gotton to a point where I can tell exackly how low I am based on my oil pressure. Have already been given the green light by the dealer to do consumption test and they did indicate an engine swap after that. I just need to take the time to remove my Mrev and spacer and take it it!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 AM
dbasal

The service director just called me and it seems he spoke with Nissan Technical Services. What he is being told is that they are aware of this issue and are working on a software change for this. I realize that this has been mentioned before, but it would appear that Nissan Tech is resting on the issue that has been discussed before about oil getting through when downshifting. So far this is just a "I was told that......". Just wanted to give an update. The problem I see is that I do not believe anyone here has had a new motor in their vehicle long enough to tell if a new engine fixed the problem. Under the logic that Nissan appears to be going through, it should not. The saga continues..........

- Notice the use of the word appears. We shall see what shakes out.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
98sr20ve

Does the Rev Up engine have a PVC or does it use the VTC control to perform that function. If it uses the VTC then I am really nervous about my new car.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
ZPHILE

The service director just called me and it seems he spoke with Nissan Technical Services. What he is being told is that they are aware of this issue and are working on a software change for this. I realize that this has been mentioned before, but it would appear that Nissan Tech is resting on the issue that has been discussed before about oil getting through when downshifting. So far this is just a "I was told that......". Just wanted to give an update. The problem I see is that I do not believe anyone here has had a new motor in their vehicle long enough to tell if a new engine fixed the problem. Under the logic that Nissan appears to be going through, it should not. The saga continues..........

- Notice the use of the word appears. We shall see what shakes out.
DBasal - can you grill them and see if that 'software change' changes the performance output of the car or just fixes the problem. Thx!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 AM
98sr20ve

Have any of you with oil issues ever done a compression or leak down test. Hoping this isn't like the QR25DE issue where the vtc was sucking sharp pieces of the cat back into the engine and scoring the walls.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
DBasal - can you grill them and see if that 'software change' changes the performance output of the car or just fixes the problem. Thx!
I did ask him about that as I remember seeing this same concern in another oil consumption thread (or maybe even this one), but he did not know.

He did not know specifics as Nissan is apparently still working on a change and he said that they apparently are planning a recall.

Still, I am sort of 60/40 in believing this, but I am just looking for someone to actually try to fix mine. So far they have just documented all this with no action.

We have the same concern though about performance.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
dbasal

Have any of you with oil issues ever done a compression or leak down test. Hoping this isn't like the QR25DE issue where the vtc was sucking sharp pieces of the cat back into the engine and scoring the walls.
I have had neither. It appears that very few people here actually have had that done.

To answer your previous question though, the service manual shows a PCV.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
bofa

Does the Rev Up engine have a PVC or does it use the VTC control to perform that function. If it uses the VTC then I am really nervous about my new car.
My director (for what it's worth ) told me that it's the VVT programming that's causing the consuption because of downshifting.

dbasal, I think the reprogramming includes the VVT which kinda fits with the other BS... although they've supposedly been working on this for a while...

I am interested to see the performance loss/gain(yeah right) of the reprogramming.

I'm still working on my most recent 1000 mile interval...
Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
My director (for what it's worth ) told me that it's the VVT programming that's causing the consuption because of downshifting.

dbasal, I think the reprogramming includes the VVT which kinda fits with the other BS... although they've supposedly been working on this for a while...

I am interested to see the performance loss/gain(yeah right) of the reprogramming.

I'm still working on my most recent 1000 mile interval...
OK. It was your post that I remember then .

I was trying to write this down as fast as he was talking, but it was hard to keep up. He mentioned something about crank gauge pressure and that the oil was blowing through upon downshifting.

I am curious though. I thought I read somewhere that the VVT does not kick in until a certain rpm. When I downshift, I typically do it as the engine is coming down through 2000 rpm. Once into the lower gear, the engine never exceeds 3000 rpm.

I know you have been going through quite a lot of oil each test. How is it looking this time around?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
aren21

I dont know if I really beleive this downshifting thing. Does it consume more if you just downshift regularly, or if you blip and rev-match?? This whole consumption thing has me really confused. Some people are burning a lot of oil, others are barely burning. Some say its getting worse as time goes by, yet others say its consuming less now. I would understand if it burns for the first 2-3k miles and then stops, but Im almost at 16k miles, and I noticed it pretty much stopped consuming oil. Its been down 1/2 quart for the past 2,500 miles.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion