Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:03 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alrific
Yeah take that off. Your average service advisor and tech will take any opportunity, legit or not, to F you into paying for it out of pocket. Customer pay is always worth more than warranty. Pull off anything w/in reason that does not look factory, hose clamps, tape(sound stupid), whatever you can. We know when a supercharger has been removed to cover-up a blown engine but don't let them exploit you over something little or an aftermarket product thats actually approved by Nissan.
Cool, thanks.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I'm getting some oil consumption, as soon as i switched over to synthetic. I do believe the dealership knows i have an aftermarket intake, they'll probably get me on that one, right? How much oil, i'm not to sure, but has anyone's oil warning tripped on?
My light has never turned on. I think it has to be very very low for it to turn on though, and by that time your cams are scarred.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 PM
aren21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^+1. Is it just me or do you guys get a different reading from the dipstick each time you check it. I let the car sit for about 10 min, then check it an re-check it like 10 times. It has fresh oil in it, so that makes it even harder to see!!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 PM
350Z_LMS

you should check your oil level with a cold engine ie say in the morning after it's been sitting there all night. dipstick has been engineered by an absolute madman. if you measure oil level this way, all you need is a couple of readings to get it right. dipstick doesn't help at all.
@alrific: I'm relieved to learn that nissan are aware of the problem. do you of any customer that has actually had the ecm reprogrammed so far? I mean 2005 35th anniv and 2006 models are widespread in the US. anyone had the car taken in to solve the problem and actually had it fixed? only 70 35th anniv Zs were released here and not all were sold (!) so we're talking SMALL numbers over here. people, please let us know! thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 AM
cox

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
you should check your oil level with a cold engine ie say in the morning after it's been sitting there all night. dipstick has been engineered by an absolute madman. if you measure oil level this way, all you need is a couple of readings to get it right. dipstick doesn't help at all.
@alrific: I'm relieved to learn that nissan are aware of the problem. do you of any customer that has actually had the ecm reprogrammed so far? I mean 2005 35th anniv and 2006 models are widespread in the US. anyone had the car taken in to solve the problem and actually had it fixed? only 70 35th anniv Zs were released here and not all were sold (!) so we're talking SMALL numbers over here. people, please let us know! thanks
+1
Old 11-29-2006, 07:04 AM
06GT350Z

So if we get our ECM/s reprogrammed with this fix from the dlr, and it changes the settings back to the 2005 intake setting, how will that affect performance on a 2006 motor?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:22 AM
dbasal

Very interesting discussion here to say the least. It seems like Nissan may have pushed it a little far with the engine. That would also explain this drastic rework coming out in the 07 models. Sometimes you just try to squeeze out a little too much.

Then again, this does not explain the problem in the other lines of cars. Not sure what to think, but I am starting to wonder if this reflash is just going to mask the real issue. You can sometimes make problems go away without actually taking care of the root cause.

Actually at this point, I would just be happy if Nissan Consumer Affairs would call me back
Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 AM
350Z_LMS

so the intake setting is different for 2005 and 2006 revup engines? that's new to me. just want to get the problem over and done with. wandering if anyone here on this forum has had his/her ecm reprogrammed...
Old 11-29-2006, 08:10 AM
350Z_LMS

@dbasal: do you drive an 06 or an 05? why are you in touch with nissan if you don't mind me asking? is it related to this issue?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 AM
97supratt

I'm not quite sure I buy all this intake valve being open for too long mumbo jumbo. If it were true, oil that leaks in from the valve stem seals will burn quite a bit of oil. If the engine burns that much oil, I should be able to see it but I don't. I have test pipes and a pretty free flowing dual exhaust setup and I have never seen bluish white smoke from my tailpipe.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I'm not quite sure I buy all this intake valve being open for too long mumbo jumbo. If it were true, oil that leaks in from the valve stem seals will burn quite a bit of oil. If the engine burns that much oil, I should be able to see it but I don't. I have test pipes and a pretty free flowing dual exhaust setup and I have never seen bluish white smoke from my tailpipe.
what is your oil consumption roughly? you drive an 06?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
arejohn

If you burn a qt per 1K miles through the PVC you will fill that can up before you run through a tank of gas. The PVC system is to cycle FUMES. If it's sucking oil it's a design fault or something seriously wrong.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 PM
alrific

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I'm getting some oil consumption, as soon as i switched over to synthetic. I do believe the dealership knows i have an aftermarket intake, they'll probably get me on that one, right? How much oil, i'm not to sure, but has anyone's oil warning tripped on?
Aftermarket intakes and exausts are OK b/c 1.they don't add so much power the car is pushed beyond its designed limits. 2.they don't interfere w/and are not installed inline w/any emissions systems(yes I know.....but your supposed to leave the cats in place). 3.Nissan wants to sell lots of Nismo parts so they can't burn you for having the same thing they sell.

My opinion is that past the break-in period of 3-5000mi no new engine should burn any oil. Nissan cosiders 1/2qt in 1000mi normal for whatever that is worth.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:27 PM
alrific

I hear what your sayin but if the vacuum is so high that oil is being pulled past the valve stem seal down the guide that has a clearance of maybe .0005in it would be highly atomized and could burn w/o noticing only b/c its a steady trickle instead of a big spurt like worn out rings.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by alrific
I hear what your sayin but if the vacuum is so high that oil is being pulled past the valve stem seal down the guide that has a clearance of maybe .0005in it would be highly atomized and could burn w/o noticing only b/c its a steady trickle instead of a big spurt like worn out rings.
Sorry to say but that made a $hit load of sense, thanks man. I'll take my car in to good ol' nissan.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by arejohn
If you burn a qt per 1K miles through the PVC you will fill that can up before you run through a tank of gas. The PVC system is to cycle FUMES. If it's sucking oil it's a design fault or something seriously wrong.
I burn about 1-1.5 quarts every 3k miles. It doesn't go through the PCV, I haven't seen any residue in the damn canister. lol
Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 PM
aren21

I burn about 1-1.5 quarts every 3k miles. It doesn't go through the PCV, I haven't seen any residue in the damn canister. lol
Good luck dealing with them if thats the amount you burn. Service advisor told me 1quart every 1k is normal, which obviously isnt. I think Ill tell them about the reprograming thing when Im done with the consumption test, I have less than 200 miles left. If they give me any b.s. Im just taking it to performance, like I should have from the begining. So youre saying there was no oil in the canister?? That makes things more strange. So where the hell is the oil going lol.

Edit : do you have any pics of your old supra?? Im curious what you had done to it, and why you gave it up for a Z!!!

Last edited by aren21; 11-29-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by aren21
Good luck dealing with them if thats the amount you burn. Service advisor told me 1quart every 1k is normal, which obviously isnt. I think Ill tell them about the reprograming thing when Im done with the consumption test, I have less than 200 miles left. If they give me any b.s. Im just taking it to performance, like I should have from the begining. So youre saying there was no oil in the canister?? That makes things more strange. So where the hell is the oil going lol.

Edit : do you have any pics of your old supra?? Im curious what you had done to it, and why you gave it up for a Z!!!

Yeah I don't burn that much, and honestly i'm in the upper rpm's quite often so I expect it. There isn't any oil in the canister because the pistons rings are doing their job and I don't have low compression basically.

I would definitely take it to performance for anything, they are awesome.

I had pics in some other thread, I actually owned a few others cars after the supra so I didn't really give it up for the Z. lol
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
350Z_LMS

@alrific: what you say makes perfect sense. Do you know of any customer that has had this issue solved by reprogrmming the ecm? in other words, do techline USA have a record of the number of requests they have had from customers with the same problem? Also, 1/2 QT is approx 1/2 liter right? 1000miles=1600km OK. So in EU terms, Nissan suggest approx 1/3 liter in 1000km...I'm getting roughly 1liter in 1200-1500km! roughly 2,5 times the suggested consumption. Anyway, that's me. Let's hear about others and most of all let's see if Nissan are solving the problem this way. I mean how many revups have been sold in the US? They have to get it solved!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 AM
97supratt

One thing I do not understand is this. If it is the ECM that has too much valve overlap then all the 05-06 REVUPS should be affected right? Well they aren't, some have oil consumption problems (1 qt every 1k miles), and some don't.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion