Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Hexxum001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZmaXimus
Its official, no more oil consumption for me. Hand built from Japan corrected the issue.
Congrats!! With every person that posts success with the version 2 VQ, the better I feel.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by dbasal
Another satisfied customer!

Well, ok, not exactly I am sure, but at least the problem no longer exists and you can enjoy the car without having to get OCD over constantly checking your oil.

The OCD is better used by trying to get more and more HP and TQ.
No sh*t I just wanna enjoy my car AND NOT OCD EITHER LMAO

I hope one day soon to be joining the ranks of the hand built V2 rev-up owners that says "my new engine solved the problem and isn't burning oil". I really, like most all of you love this car ......................... so much fun to drive ....................... I just want it right (and being the audio/video nut I am, want to seriously upgrade the system ....................... but not until it no longer drinks oil)

John
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hang in there everyone....it takes time for this shizzil.

Originally Posted by antennahead
No sh*t I just wanna enjoy my car AND NOT OCD EITHER LMAO

I hope one day soon to be joining the ranks of the hand built V2 rev-up owners that says "my new engine solved the problem and isn't burning oil". I really, like most all of you love this car ......................... so much fun to drive ....................... I just want it right (and being the audio/video nut I am, want to seriously upgrade the system ....................... but not until it no longer drinks oil)

John
I feel you 100% man. I actually tried to trade my G in after all this crap...only got offered 22K for the POS. I owe like 32!!!!!! So I guess its mine for life...bring on the FI...lol. (Stillen Stage 3). The thrill isnt there like when I first got it, but when kids take pics and aske me about my ride, it lifts my spirits up a bit. Hang in there. Contact your BBB if they start jerking your chain. I have Autocrossed my car twice on the same oil change and not a drop has left the engine. NOT RUNNING SYTHETIC. I am going to switch to see the results next oil change. Plus I drive like a bat too.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
I feel you 100% man. I actually tried to trade my G in after all this crap...only got offered 22K for the POS. I owe like 32!!!!!! So I guess its mine for life...bring on the FI...lol. (Stillen Stage 3). The thrill isnt there like when I first got it, but when kids take pics and aske me about my ride, it lifts my spirits up a bit. Hang in there. Contact your BBB if they start jerking your chain. I have Autocrossed my car twice on the same oil change and not a drop has left the engine. NOT RUNNING SYTHETIC. I am going to switch to see the results next oil change. Plus I drive like a bat too.
Thanks bro. Great to hear it's holding tight on the "no oil consumption". When I get the new engine and no longer use any oil I am going to once again get great enjoyment out of driving this machine, and seriously tweak upo the stereo system

John
Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 AM
andy2434

You folks are the best. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and comments in this matter.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by andy2434
You folks are the best. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and comments in this matter.
This is a very good thread populated by some very nice members, I enjoy it here as well. I was reading another thread yesterday, that I won't mention, that had a lot of "younger" members (please, no flames) going ballistic on some guy. I appreciate the maturity and civility here, able to discuss things without everyone taking comments so personally.

John
Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Brice-350z

Just to confirm there are some version 1 Rev-ups that do not burn oil. My car has 13k miles on it now and I have been running Castrol Syntec 5W-30 for 6k miles now with very little to no oil lose since breakin. Once again this is on the factory engine. I feel sorry for you guys that are experiencing issues, but I think Nissa will make right of the situation.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
zmedic16

some people got lucky... most of us didnt. there are plenty of people that still go for their nissan checkup and oil changes and their techs dont say jack snap to them. so make sure u check ur own oil
Old 07-21-2007, 01:45 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by zmedic16
some people got lucky... most of us didnt. there are plenty of people that still go for their nissan checkup and oil changes and their techs dont say jack snap to them. so make sure u check ur own oil
I also saw someone on another thread that was taking 1qt in 3000 mile as an acceptable oil loss.

I don't know about anyone else, but since Nissan has admitted it is an issue with the rev-up in general, I would be complaining about any kind of oil loss and get myself a new engine out of the deal. Who knows how bad it will be as the miles mount on the vehicle.

Not to mention you can work your way into a 7 yr/ 10000 mile warranty also.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Theatrix
Professional

I think it is important to understand (according to Nissan Corp) that this is a hit and miss situation. It does not necessarily have to do with keeping the car below a certain rpm at break in, but perhaps not babying the car would be better for it. The reason I say this is because during the breakin period of my 3rd engine (after 300 miles) during a long cruise, (6 hours) I often had that car in excess of 120-130MPh. During the first 300 miles, I noticed a small amount of consumption. My intention was to beat this engine at this point and the odd thing is, my consumption went away. It now has 1500 miles on the 3rd engine and no consumption.
Nissan has already agreed to swap for a fourth engine (Modified V2) which I will acept. I just find it odd that my consumption has stopped after I beat the hell out of this stocker!
Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Theatrix
I think it is important to understand (according to Nissan Corp) that this is a hit and miss situation. It does not necessarily have to do with keeping the car below a certain rpm at break in, but perhaps not babying the car would be better for it. The reason I say this is because during the breakin period of my 3rd engine (after 300 miles) during a long cruise, (6 hours) I often had that car in excess of 120-130MPh. During the first 300 miles, I noticed a small amount of consumption. My intention was to beat this engine at this point and the odd thing is, my consumption went away. It now has 1500 miles on the 3rd engine and no consumption.
Nissan has already agreed to swap for a fourth engine (Modified V2) which I will acept. I just find it odd that my consumption has stopped after I beat the hell out of this stocker!
At least you will given the chance to get the modified engine. It is interesting to see the results you got though. I paid no mind to the break-in for my modified engine. Actually, I did the opposite. I made sure to run it HARD at times.

You've really gone through a lot of hell at the hands of Nissan.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:32 PM
doctorshumes

I can confirm the less oil consumption after "beating the hell out of the engine." My V1 Rev-Up burned about 1/2 qt or so every 1,000 miles with Royal Purple full synthetic 10W30 or 10W40. Started the oil consumption test now that they are making the V2 Revup. Oil changed to Penzoil. Drove more aggresively, i.e. close to redline in 1st and 2nd on about half my starts from lights/stops after car was warmed up. Also downshifted with Rev matching a lot more. Cruised on the interstate around 3K to 3.5K RPM instead of lower. Oil was 1/4 below the H after 1,000 miles and 1/2 way between H & L at 2000 miles. Could be the change in oil but I ran Penzoil in it the first 5K miles and burned 1/2 quart every 1K miles as well. Will continue to drive it aggressively and see how it does over the next 1K miles. Will likely continue to have them do more oil consumption tests to confirm. Dealership states it is up to Nissan to decide how much oil consumption is significant. Would likely have a battle at 1/2 quart every 2K miles.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
RBlover69

yea so far so good for me on the V2 ..my first oil test is nearing soon. Im babying it though because its a new engine. I dunno how some of ya pop a new engine in the car and redline it out of the lot ..its a damn motor take care of the first steps lol. Heopfully i can finally mod this beast. They already gotten 290rwhp with nismo exhaust moderdyne spacer mrev2 and nismo exhaust with a tune. and with cosworth coming out with there manifold soon plus some crawford headers im telling ya 300rwhp will be done by the revups hopefully. with bolt onsand a tune.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Well just got the call from the dealer. New "hand Built" will be going in this week. Looking forward to becoming part of the V2 club!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the delay I have been out with knee surgery. It looks as though the V2 oil consumption is leveling off for me. I still want to drive it more and give it another oil change but so far so good!
Old 07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
leozim

new engine getting installed. dropped off the car monday and hopefully it would be ready by friday. after the install, follow the break-in period then will do another oil consumption test. will keep you guys updated.
hopefully this new engine would cooperate.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 AM
ZmaXimus

Geez, one week for an install. They did mine in one full day.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Rev-em-hard

I want to do this now but I am worried that they will turn my car down and say the oil consumption is because of my intake manifold or my headers or test pipes.I want a V2!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM
leozim

Originally Posted by ZmaXimus
Geez, one week for an install. They did mine in one full day.
the service advisor thought that it would take at least 7 days for the new engine to get to the dealer. but when they called nissan, they could get the engine to the dealer in two days. so i just left the car with them and they gave me a rental..... one way or another still getting a new engine.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by leozim
the service advisor thought that it would take at least 7 days for the new engine to get to the dealer. but when they called nissan, they could get the engine to the dealer in two days. so i just left the car with them and they gave me a rental..... one way or another still getting a new engine.
I left a nasty voicemail yesterday with a rep at Nissan (BBB, attorney, you know the drill, but I was serious, I did speak with my attorney), the only one who has actually talked with me................. until today. The regional rep called again and I spoke with her for the first time. She spoke with the dealership and confirmed that I qualified for a new handbuilt engine. I then spoke with the head mechanic who was working on getting the order placed on their "techline". IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!

For you guys who have received the new handbuilt engines, once the order was placed how long did it take to come in?. The regional rep told me that there was a waiting list now and it might take a little while to build and ship.

John

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion