Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 AM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZmaXimus
your current engine was the final repair attempt, right?
Yes it was. Now I am just sitting here shaking my head. Damn!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:48 PM
leozim

got my engine replace..... do i have to wait for the break-in period to be finish to check for oil consumption or can i do the test now?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 PM
ZmaXimus

Do the test now
Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
marathonhunter

Default new engine with dip stick on half way mark

Originally Posted by dbasal
Well, I decided to go get the paper and check my oil since I have been talking about it today.

Here is what I found.

376 miles since the change and I verified it was full the next day. It is now 1/2 qt down! It seems like things are not so well.

Its interesting guys. I just got my car back two days ago. I checked the dipstick, and its a little above the half way mark between the H and L. It appears that the manuf. is not topping the oil off at the H mark. Anyone know why. It is hard to tell since the new oil is so clear, but if you hold horizontal you can see the oil bulk up.

I did ask the dealer to check the oil before I picked it up, but it says nothing on my invoice.

The new engine is smooth. It doesn't have as much chatter as it did before. Only 134 miles on it. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm glad to get my Z back.

Anyone know if there car feels slower or faster?

thanks

MH
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by marathonhunter
Its interesting guys. I just got my car back two days ago. I checked the dipstick, and its a little above the half way mark between the H and L. It appears that the manuf. is not topping the oil off at the H mark. Anyone know why. It is hard to tell since the new oil is so clear, but if you hold horizontal you can see the oil bulk up.

I did ask the dealer to check the oil before I picked it up, but it says nothing on my invoice.

The new engine is smooth. It doesn't have as much chatter as it did before. Only 134 miles on it. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm glad to get my Z back.

Anyone know if there car feels slower or faster?

thanks

MH
I really could not figure it out either. Mine was down about 1.5 qts after the first 300 miles.

As you mentioned, I did find that it was very difficult to tell with the oil being so clear. Makes me wonder though if the engine just eats it in the first few hundred miles. No proof, just thinking out loud.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
luvZcar

O.K. so here we are at about 700 miles after last oil change with the new motor and it seem its ate 1/4 of a qt and i want to see what the results are after a total 1k so 300 miles more so far I'd say thats much better then the the 2 qt it was eating every 1k if it eats less then a qt in 1k then i guess I'm ok with that
Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
marathonhunter

I really could not figure it out either. Mine was down about 1.5 qts after the first 300 miles.

As you mentioned, I did find that it was very difficult to tell with the oil being so clear. Makes me wonder though if the engine just eats it in the first few hundred miles. No proof, just thinking out loud.
I checked my dipstick at 42miles. I really don't think they filled it up. I was suprised. And like I said before I told the service manager to check the oil, before I pick it up, and that I want to do a oilconsumption.

So you guys who are getting new engines, make sure you ask the technician to check your dip stick before you drive it off the lot.

Maybe someone can give you an explanation to why the oil was not topped off.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by marathonhunter
I checked my dipstick at 42miles. I really don't think they filled it up. I was suprised. And like I said before I told the service manager to check the oil, before I pick it up, and that I want to do a oilconsumption.

So you guys who are getting new engines, make sure you ask the technician to check your dip stick before you drive it off the lot.

Maybe someone can give you an explanation to why the oil was not topped off.
+1. My work order even showed that they filled the oil. Beats me what the heck they are doing.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM
creationv2

damnit i waited all summer to get my approval, and now that i coem back to read updates, dbasal is making me sad and less hopeful the v2 will fix the problem.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
damnit i waited all summer to get my approval, and now that i coem back to read updates, dbasal is making me sad and less hopeful the v2 will fix the problem.
Damn! I hate making people sad!

Well, one thing that you should notice is that the engine feels stronger and smoother as a couple of us have mentioned. Also, so far my consumption is no where near what it was. We'll see what happens during this test. I was just alarmed to see it down so far after not even 400 miles. I have a total of 6200 miles on this new engine now and that is very close to the mileage that I noticed the problem with the first engine.

The dealer did not seem to concerned and said it seemed fine to them because it was still within the operating range (duh! We all know that), but will be monitoring it.

I must have rattled some nerves at Nissan. I called and told them yesterday afternoon that the new engine was also consuming oil and I got a very concerned sounding call when I was at the dealer hoping all would turn out ok.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
ZmaXimus

The Tech that replaced my engine was surprised the Jap engine didn't fix the oil consumption. Its not only wasting my time but theirs as well. I mailed my paperwork to Tallahassee today for the final repair attempt. The new engine is consuming less oil but its still unacceptable.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM
bremboboy

What happens if my engine starts consuming oil after warranty? Am i screwed?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:07 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bremboboy
What happens if my engine starts consuming oil after warranty? Am i screwed?
That is a very good question. I would get some documentation before you are out of warranty to at least prove there was an issue before it expired. It's going to be hard for Nissan to duck that one though.

I am not sure what happened to the tire feathering folks, but that was the other really big issue with this car back in 03 and 04. I would guess Nissan would follow closely to what they did for them.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM
ZPHILE

Default Been out - Just caught up on the thread.

Dbasal - seems as if you're still testing after seeing some consumption still. Let us know the actual volume per miles driven when you have it (I already know you will!). Question: I've got the letter from the BBB saying Nissan will replace my engine. What's next? Will Nissan contact me or should I go to the dealer and have them go through techline to get the handbuild engine ordered. Been waiting for over a couple of weeks. BBB letter says they have 60days.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 AM
ZPHILE

Default Tip to those whose consumption is not 'extreme'

First, I'll like to qualify 'extreme' consumption. From the posts here and Nissan's response this appears to be about 1Qt consumed per 1000 mi driven. Personally, if a car is drinkin' 1Qt in 3000mi that ridiculous! If Nissan is saying that your car is not consuming enough have them still test your car thoroughly. That is have them do the leak down test, wet and dry compression tests etc... I've found that even though your REV-UP is not a massive burner, it could still be below spec. and need the engine replaced. I had/have #2 & #4 cyl below spec compression on a car that's not even a year old, (broke in gently and taken care of)!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Dbasal - seems as if you're still testing after seeing some consumption still. Let us know the actual volume per miles driven when you have it (I already know you will!). Question: I've got the letter from the BBB saying Nissan will replace my engine. What's next? Will Nissan contact me or should I go to the dealer and have them go through techline to get the handbuild engine ordered. Been waiting for over a couple of weeks. BBB letter says they have 60days.
I really did not see too much loss until recently (I was down 1/2 qt after 3000 miles and that did not bother me). I just happened to notice that it was down 1/2 qt after < 500 miles which alarmed me a bit. I have about 6200 miles on the engine and I noticed the problems with the first engine around the 7000 mile mark.

As for the new engine, I would get clarification on what they mean. Make sure they replace it with the one with the new pistons and rings (what we've been calling v2). I would contact the BBB folks personally since they are on your side and then contact Nissan afterwards if you need to. The BBB folks are a great source of info as I have unfortuanetly had to find out.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
First, I'll like to qualify 'extreme' consumption. From the posts here and Nissan's response this appears to be about 1Qt consumed per 1000 mi driven. Personally, if a car is drinkin' 1Qt in 3000mi that ridiculous! If Nissan is saying that your car is not consuming enough have them still test your car thoroughly. That is have them do the leak down test, wet and dry compression tests etc... I've found that even though your REV-UP is not a massive burner, it could still be below spec. and need the engine replaced. I had/have #2 & #4 cyl below spec compression on a car that's not even a year old, (broke in gently and taken care of)!!!!
Actually, my car never burned over 1qt per 1000 miles in my tests and Nissan still agreed that it was consuming too much. Even though it is a sports car, I fully believe that if it is a daily driver, then you should see 0 oil loss between oil changes. If you take it to Watkins Glen or Sears Point for a bunch of laps, then I could understand losing a good deal of oil.

My v1 engine would end up losing about 2.5 qts when I let it go to 3000-3500 miles. Still under the 1qt per 1000 that some people think is the gauge. The oil loss that I had in the v1, I would consider astronomical.

If I really wanted to push it on this engine, I could claim it has the same problem right now because it does burn oil.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
creationv2

this has probably been asked a few times, and from what i recall it hasnt really been answered nor do i know if it still could be answered.

-how would you know that hte new motor is the new v2 and not just a v1 replacement?

edit:

wow! are are these anyone here.....

Allentown, PA - McFetridge
Roseville, CA - Dhaliwal
Franklin, TN - Bailey
Melbourne, FL - Martino
Riverside, CA - Hester

these are motors shipped yesterday (and are supposed to be 2nd day service), or thats when the email originated.

my apologies for the names, if you mind just tell me and il edit it out.

Last edited by creationv2; 08-01-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
this has probably been asked a few times, and from what i recall it hasnt really been answered nor do i know if it still could be answered.

-how would you know that hte new motor is the new v2 and not just a v1 replacement?

edit:

wow! are are these anyone here.....

Allentown, PA - McFetridge
Roseville, CA - Dhaliwal
Franklin, TN - Bailey
Melbourne, FL - Martino
Riverside, CA - Hester

these are motors shipped yesterday (and are supposed to be 2nd day service), or thats when the email originated.

my apologies for the names, if you mind just tell me and il edit it out.
You don't and Nissan is not forthcoming in giving proof that the engine is any different. We can feel a difference, but so far I have had no luck trying to get documentation on the differences between the two and proof that what is in mine is what was promised.

How did you find those engine shipments? Work for Nissan?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
creationv2

You don't and Nissan is not forthcoming in giving proof that the engine is any different. We can feel a difference, but so far I have had no luck trying to get documentation on the differences between the two and proof that what is in mine is what was promised.

How did you find those engine shipments? Work for Nissan?
ah, thats what i thought, still no way to prove it

i just wanted to share my info, so at least these ppl dont get bsed on when their motor comes in/is shipped. (so i hope theres nothing wrong in posting such info)

Last edited by creationv2; 08-01-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion