RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

****...welcome to the rotory family i guess
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
350Z_LMS

I really have a bad feeling about this. Nissan are replacing engines there in the US and my friend here is probably having his replaced also. can you believe this? this is bad stuff...what really worries me is that noone has come up with an answer to the main question: where is this oil coming from and where is it going? oil on my dipstick is black! I'm burning it of course! anyone had their combustion chambers inspected before opening the engine?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the owners manual it also states (under checking oil levels) it is normal to add some oil between oil maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operating conditions.

I never started buring until I started using synthetic. I might need to go thicker. I have an 05 model.

And is it normal for the the dipstick to read a tad lower than "H" with an oil pan spacer?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
luvZcar

just wondering if anyone had the engine replaced because of the oil consumption and are doing fine as in no oil consumption now or very little consumption??? been following these treads and my Z is going through the oil consumption test with nissan now I think it eats about 2qts every 1000 miles,pm me with your results and I'll keep following this tread thanks Z folks
Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

Great to see this info. I was concerned about my oil loss of roughly 1 qt/1k.

First dealer I took it to did a 1k mile "check" and said it was ok. I wasnt in the bay at the time so who knows what they really saw. I've tracking my consumption and it has been consistent with what others have posted.

Going to check the tech line idea with the loca dlr and see what they say.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luvZcar
just wondering if anyone had the engine replaced because of the oil consumption and are doing fine as in no oil consumption now or very little consumption??? been following these treads and my Z is going through the oil consumption test with nissan now I think it eats about 2qts every 1000 miles,pm me with your results and I'll keep following this tread thanks Z folks

+1

I would like to know if new engines or short blocks are fixing peoples problems.

The new short block I got did not fix the problem. Still sucks down 1 quart every 1,000 miles on average.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Well mine seems to be having a problem as well, but I think mine IS rings. I have a small homemade catch can on mine and I have to empty it every week. I've gone through 2/3 Qt. in 1500 miles. I'm using 10/40 Castrol GTX. I put the catch can on because when I installed my APS plenum at about 1500 miles, my stock plenum was covered with oil inside.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im just curious, can driving in daily bumper to bumper traffic cause the consumption?? Because i commute through heavy traffic mon-friday.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:22 AM
Brocken

i8acobra-thanks for posting that info. Does the catchcan pull from your intake plenum then(i'm not familiar with the catchcan)?
That's scary if you're pulling that much oil from there. If the catchcan wasn't there who knows where it would end up. When they're replacing engines they're not taking into account what else could be damaged downstream/upstream from the engine due to the oil consumption.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:04 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by z32-z33
im just curious, can driving in daily bumper to bumper traffic cause the consumption?? Because i commute through heavy traffic mon-friday.

No. Usually its high rpm use that will cause more of a consumption.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 97supratt
You guys need to understand, anytime you have the ability to rev very high in a internal combustion engine, you will have some sort of oil consumption.

Sad part is, we only rev till 7k rpm and we have these issues. It would be normal if we revved till 8k+ but until 7k and have all these problems is silly.
and for me. Keepin it below 4000 rpm 95% of the time and below 4500 rpm 100% of the time and still being down nearly a quart after 1000 miles really makes you wonder. What the heck would happen if I drove it like it was supposed to be driven.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
In the owners manual it also states (under checking oil levels) it is normal to add some oil between oil maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operating conditions.

I never started buring until I started using synthetic. I might need to go thicker. I have an 05 model.

And is it normal for the the dipstick to read a tad lower than "H" with an oil pan spacer?
My consumption was worse with conventional. I'm thinking of going back to it and see what happens. Well see what Nissan is going to do first. Next oil change though, it is back to conventional.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:00 AM
RBlover69

im still using converntial oil but want to go synthetic what do u think is the best appropriate action.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
97supratt

This is kinda sad that for only 2006 they brought out this new motor, and it sucked.

I mean, I like the fact that we can rev higher but we lost some torque and now we have oil consumption problems. Not to mention the fact that they made a completely new motor for 07+.

Did Nissan just try an experiment on our *****?

-1 for Nissan on this stupid decision. Plus the fact that they don't know why we're losing so much oil. This is rediculous, we want answers.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
RBlover69

yea its weird. I do lvoe the revup more so then my 287 just for the nice engine refinment feel when im reving , but i do beleive that this was a beta basically for the HR . Or posssibly a test tune that they were expriementing with. I do know that the revup was refined due to benefit the track. I remember reading where it stated that the rev up was designed to keep u in the power band alot better and provide more top end for the straights. Also i read something that it also took better to FI. As a benefit of the vvt on both sides. I think it was just like the S1 . Maybey just a expiremental engine that , gave us a feel of whats to be had in the HR. Cause i mean the hp imporvement at the crank isnt that much from the HR just the TQ difference is the major refinement. I dunno im still up in the air with the oil issue . But i will say that the revup is aggressively tuned stock . Maybey they over did the valve timing on the revup to get the extra poneys. I do love reving the engine though man. More so then i did with my 287. I wouldnt say the engien sucked it still one of thebest engines made for our decade in our catagorey. Its just the oil issue that some are expriencing that sucks , but i mean for the tq difference with FI people are getting way more responsive hp then with the 287 so. Its a benefit with a oil curse.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-15-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:57 PM
doctorshumes

Im certain higher reving will result in increased oil consumption. I agree that a significant amount of oil consumption should not occur until around 7k+ rpm. It is clear that Nissan has inadequately tuned the HR engine for the Rev-up. Question is what to do now. My recomendation is to have EVERYONE with any kind of oil consumption to have the dealership confirm the amount of oil lost by doing the oil consumption test. Do NOT completely baby your engine during this test. Try 4K to 5K rpm shifts. Also, encourage them to contact the tech line and you should call Nissan of N.A. Strength is clearly in numbers and we need to make sure Nissan knows this is a problem with essentially all, or at least a large number of Rev-Up engines. This should put more pressure on them to find the problem. Whether they come up with an acceptable solution and pro-actively fix the problem is another issue. Likely not unless it is an easy fix as Nissan has already lost a lot of money recently secondary to the 03 Z issues with tire wear, fuel tank lines, in addition to the money they will loose due to the faulty rings on the Altimas and Sentras. Therefore, if you want the problem solved we will all need to be pro-active or just live with it. What you dont want to do is just let it go on now and then start complaining once the car has increasing mileage. It just gives Nissan more opportunity to deny responsibility.
Also, who knows what long term damage is being done to our engines. Right now your annoyed by the oil consumption. How mad are you going to be when your engine fails just after 60K miles and your warranty is expired.

Last edited by doctorshumes; 12-15-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM
RBlover69

i agree this is understanable for revs higher then the normal 287 i might by that if thats when it sucks more oil. Due to the Vvt being that agressive uptop. but below that, it should be nominal or that of the normal 287 tune. yea i bet u the revup was a beta for sure for the HR. It makes me wonder if the dual throttle dsign will work on a revup lmao
Old 12-15-2006, 05:47 PM
bofa

Grrrrrr.... took it in today for another interval.. they want another 1000 miles. wtf?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by bofa
Grrrrrr.... took it in today for another interval.. they want another 1000 miles. wtf?
How many times have they checked your level?

I did had to do three consecutive 1,000 mile readings.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
Im certain higher reving will result in increased oil consumption. I agree that a significant amount of oil consumption should not occur until around 7k+ rpm. It is clear that Nissan has inadequately tuned the HR engine for the Rev-up. Question is what to do now. My recomendation is to have EVERYONE with any kind of oil consumption to have the dealership confirm the amount of oil lost by doing the oil consumption test. Do NOT completely baby your engine during this test. Try 4K to 5K rpm shifts. Also, encourage them to contact the tech line and you should call Nissan of N.A. Strength is clearly in numbers and we need to make sure Nissan knows this is a problem with essentially all, or at least a large number of Rev-Up engines. This should put more pressure on them to find the problem. Whether they come up with an acceptable solution and pro-actively fix the problem is another issue. Likely not unless it is an easy fix as Nissan has already lost a lot of money recently secondary to the 03 Z issues with tire wear, fuel tank lines, in addition to the money they will loose due to the faulty rings on the Altimas and Sentras. Therefore, if you want the problem solved we will all need to be pro-active or just live with it. What you dont want to do is just let it go on now and then start complaining once the car has increasing mileage. It just gives Nissan more opportunity to deny responsibility.
Also, who knows what long term damage is being done to our engines. Right now your annoyed by the oil consumption. How mad are you going to be when your engine fails just after 60K miles and your warranty is expired.
The oil crap coming out of my exhaust has got to be choking the $hit out of the Cats. I'm sure they will fail right after the warranty expires, due to all the oil blowing out..

I'm installing an oil catch can next week, to see if in fact that's where it's going.

Also got a kick a$$ coolant overflow tank too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion