RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion - Page 9 - MY350Z.COM Forums



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #161
bofa
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
bofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad68
How many times have they checked your level?

I did had to do three consecutive 1,000 mile readings.
First sign of consuption I was about 2 qts down at 1200 miles or so and that's when the test started.

I took it back in 1000 later and the tech forgot to measure.

I took it in 1500 later and was down 4 quarts. This is when I called NNA and started going through the svc director at the dealership. This time they claim the tech didn't measure the mm on the dipstick... now that's scientific...

I just took it back after another 700 per the director and this time they said the oil level "wasn't too low" on the dipstick and to go another 1000.

I just want to know what the hell is going on so I can enjoy he car and start installing my mods...
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #162
dbasal
Registered User
 
dbasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,396
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa
First sign of consuption I was about 2 qts down at 1200 miles or so and that's when the test started.

I took it back in 1000 later and the tech forgot to measure.

I took it in 1500 later and was down 4 quarts. This is when I called NNA and started going through the svc director at the dealership. This time they claim the tech didn't measure the mm on the dipstick... now that's scientific...

I just took it back after another 700 per the director and this time they said the oil level "wasn't too low" on the dipstick and to go another 1000.

I just want to know what the hell is going on so I can enjoy he car and start installing my mods...
I was told that Nissan wants three measurements for validation. I know some dealers actually measure it in terms of mm and others just say how much it is down by looking at the dipstick and saying 1/2 or 1qt, etc.

4qts down!

I would think that would be an automatic replacement of the engine. I suppose that does not even register on the dipstick?
dbasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 AM   #163
diablo25mn
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

To be honest my car has 15,000 miles roughly on it. I bought it January and I did my last oil change, I don't seem to be burning any more oil than typically considered normal. Now I was used to a turbo car previously and that used a burn a 1 quart minimum since I was running an oil cooled turbo.
diablo25mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #164
350Z_LMS
Registered User
 
350Z_LMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rome Italy
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

mine goes thorough like an extremely OLD and clapped out turbo car with a million miles on the clock!
350Z_LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #165
bofa
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
bofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo25mn
To be honest my car has 15,000 miles roughly on it. I bought it January and I did my last oil change, I don't seem to be burning any more oil than typically considered normal. Now I was used to a turbo car previously and that used a burn a 1 quart minimum since I was running an oil cooled turbo.
Do you have a revup motor with the 6MT?
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #166
bofa
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
bofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbasal
I was told that Nissan wants three measurements for validation. I know some dealers actually measure it in terms of mm and others just say how much it is down by looking at the dipstick and saying 1/2 or 1qt, etc.

4qts down!

I would think that would be an automatic replacement of the engine. I suppose that does not even register on the dipstick?
You'd think. Yeah it measures on the dipstick by it being bone dry.
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #167
Brocken
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 346
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa
You'd think. Yeah it measures on the dipstick by it being bone dry.
I don't know if you have a reason for not pursuing the lemon law but I really think you have a strong case for it.
Sounds like the dealership and NNA is jerking you around(even worse than they did me). After I gave them their 4 chances to fix the problem I got tired of their crap and pursued the lemon law.
Your consumption problem is about as bad as mine got. I went from 1 quart every 900 miles to 1 quart every 500. If you were at 4 quarts down after 2500 miles that's pretty close to what mine has gotten to.

Nissan and the dealer are going to continue jerking you around if you let them. If you're still really excited about the Z, demand a replacement Z. And make sure it's one without the oil consumption problem.
From information I've gotten it sounds like they've tracked the consumption problem down to bad rings.
Brocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #168
bofa
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
bofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah, I'm trying to give them a chance to fix it and make me happy. You'd think they'd understand that the real money in the car business is repeat customers...

Anyhow.. my concern is that I have some mods on the car already and I don't know how that would play out (rims and exhaust are pretty simple swaps- although a pita to do in the garage... but I have springs and tint too). The rest of my mods are just sitting in the garage.. so no biggie there.

This is the last interval I will do for this issue. Another response anywhere near "bring it back in 1000 miles" and I'll pick up the phone and call a lemon law attorney from the dealership.
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #169
dbasal
Registered User
 
dbasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,396
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa
Yeah, I'm trying to give them a chance to fix it and make me happy. You'd think they'd understand that the real money in the car business is repeat customers...

Anyhow.. my concern is that I have some mods on the car already and I don't know how that would play out (rims and exhaust are pretty simple swaps- although a pita to do in the garage... but I have springs and tint too). The rest of my mods are just sitting in the garage.. so no biggie there.

This is the last interval I will do for this issue. Another response anywhere near "bring it back in 1000 miles" and I'll pick up the phone and call a lemon law attorney from the dealership.
I am wondering if that is why we do not see as many of these oil consumption issues. People may be thinking the mods are causing it or are afraid. Then I think there are others that probably just figure it is normal for a car like this.

For me, it is an every 1000 mile ritual to go to the dealer. They were supposed to call tech line, but I have heard nothing since last week. Just documentating the failures of Nissan at this point. I'll get them in the long run.
dbasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #170
bofa
Registered User
iTrader: (23)
 
bofa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not worried about my installed mods affecting the outcome since I just have the exhaust on. But, yeah, I see your point... once you go screwing with stuff, especially engine components, a dealer can make your life hell.

On another note, and this could be coincidence, but I've caught myself rev-matching more lately and I wonder if this lessens the consumption rate. If the VVT theory is true then perhaps rev-matching as opposed to regular downshifting is affecting how the valves react to the shift (I'm sure it is but I dont know enough to get that deep into it). Either way it needs to be fixed, but I thought it was interesting.
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #171
dbasal
Registered User
 
dbasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,396
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa
I'm not worried about my installed mods affecting the outcome since I just have the exhaust on. But, yeah, I see your point... once you go screwing with stuff, especially engine components, a dealer can make your life hell.

On another note, and this could be coincidence, but I've caught myself rev-matching more lately and I wonder if this lessens the consumption rate. If the VVT theory is true then perhaps rev-matching as opposed to regular downshifting is affecting how the valves react to the shift (I'm sure it is but I dont know enough to get that deep into it). Either way it needs to be fixed, but I thought it was interesting.
That is a good point on the rev-matching. Would certainly be an interesting test, but yes Nissan needs to fix it. I have found that it does not matter how hard I run it. I actually went through more oil taking it easy versus intentionally running harder more often. We'll either have an answer or Nissan will have a lot of vehicles to test with soon.
dbasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #172
Sasha350
Registered User
 
Sasha350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For what it's worth, my 06MT was consuming about 1 quart per 1000 miles for the past 10 months (at 19000 miles now). I switched to synthetic at 6000 miles.

I mentioned this to the tech at the dealer last time i was there. They did the consumption test, but the oil they used was a regular oil, not synthetic.
I figured, if it's gonna break let it break now so i ran the car very hard
I mean shifting at redline, rpm's hardly ever bellow 4000 rpm, agressive downshifting, and of course I allways revmatch. Ran it like this for the 1000 miles, then took it back. The car used only about 1/3 of a quarter

So of course the tech said that this is not bad, and i had to agree.
The funny thing is that when i was taking it easy on the car, i was burning 1 quart per 1000 miles ( approximately ). When i ran the car super hard, redlining, hard acceleration all the time and revmatching on every shift, my oil consumption went down significantly.

Conclusion ? Drive it like you stole it, at least you'll have some fun !!

Last edited by Sasha350; 12-19-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Sasha350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #173
ZPHILE
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
ZPHILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Time to make official complaint and go to the dealer!

I've been chasing this oil consumption thing for awhile and following this post. Have currently 10K + on the car using Mobile 1 fully syn 10-30. Get about 1qt/1k of driving. Feel like I'm driving an oil consuming moped! Car seems to have good power and all. I drive it hard some with most miles just regular highway crusing. But, enough is enough! Will be going to Valencia Nissan soon. Will post here what I go through. Will call NNA if the dealer/service department is lame.

2006 ZR 6MT
ZPHILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #174
Chad68
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 3,178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha350
For what it's worth, my 06MT was consuming about 1 quart per 1000 miles for the past 10 months (at 19000 miles now). I switched to synthetic at 6000 miles.

I mentioned this to the tech at the dealer last time i was there. They did the consumption test, but the oil they used was a regular oil, not synthetic.
I figured, if it's gonna break let it break now so i ran the car very hard
I mean shifting at redline, rpm's hardly ever bellow 4000 rpm, agressive downshifting, and of course I allways revmatch. Ran it like this for the 1000 miles, then took it back. The car used only about 1/3 of a quarter

So of course the tech said that this is not bad, and i had to agree.
The funny thing is that when i was taking it easy on the car, i was burning 1 quart per 1000 miles ( approximately ). When i ran the car super hard, redlining, hard acceleration all the time and revmatching on every shift, my oil consumption went down significantly.

Conclusion ? Drive it like you stole it, at least you'll have some fun !!

I had the same results.

My 1st test was a mixture of freeway and country roads and driving kinda hard, as I was trying to get the car to gulp oil.

In 1,000 miles it dropped .6 of a quart

Next 1,000 mile test, was 90% freeway miles and not driven hard and it dropped 1.5 quarts (though the reading I got with the car sitting for several days showed that it was only down 3/4 of a quart).

My average at this point was just above 1 quart per 1,000 miles, so on the 3rd and final consumption test, I drove the $hit out of it and it dropped 3/4 or a quart according to them and it showed me it only used about 1/2 a quart.

It actually does seem like it uses morer when you baby it-
Chad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #175
dbasal
Registered User
 
dbasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,396
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad68
I had the same results.

My 1st test was a mixture of freeway and country roads and driving kinda hard, as I was trying to get the car to gulp oil.

In 1,000 miles it dropped .6 of a quart

Next 1,000 mile test, was 90% freeway miles and not driven hard and it dropped 1.5 quarts (though the reading I got with the car sitting for several days showed that it was only down 3/4 of a quart).

My average at this point was just above 1 quart per 1,000 miles, so on the 3rd and final consumption test, I drove the $hit out of it and it dropped 3/4 or a quart according to them and it showed me it only used about 1/2 a quart.

It actually does seem like it uses morer when you baby it-
This is all very interesting. Same exact results for me. So the best test would be to hop on the freeway for 500 miles and turn around and see what happens. hmm. Sounds like an excuse for a road trip to me. Thanks for sharing all the info.
dbasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #176
hunter6
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Corral de Tierra
Posts: 172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just want to add to the record. I've got an 06 6MT Z. I've had the oil changed by the dealer 3x thusfar. I've got 9300 miles on it. I had the oil changed last time at 8100 miles. I just checked the dipstick after reading this post (car sat all night) an it was completely full. Perhaps I don't have the issue (yet). It would be interesting to see the percentage of folks on this forum who are burning and who are not. Is this issue important enough to set up a poll?
hunter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #177
350Z_LMS
Registered User
 
350Z_LMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rome Italy
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone had the combustion chamber inspected? I mean, take spark plugs out and take a look inside BEFORE taking the whole motor apart? Friend here has a totally black chamber with thick muck on the cylinder head with 50k on the clock and high oil consumption (just like mine). Anyone did this at all? What is thing wuth driving it hard reduces oil consumption? This is an absolute first!!!
I have a suggestion: take the car into a dealer for a documented oil change, Then don't bother messing around with that stupid dipstick and drive it HARD until oil runs out almost completely. Return to dealer (1 quart per 1000miles, so 1000miles later) and ask for a new engine. Period
350Z_LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #178
cox
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: italy
Posts: 317
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
Anyone had the combustion chamber inspected? I mean, take spark plugs out and take a look inside BEFORE taking the whole motor apart? Friend here has a totally black chamber with thick muck on the cylinder head with 50k on the clock and high oil consumption (just like mine). Anyone did this at all? What is thing wuth driving it hard reduces oil consumption? This is an absolute first!!!
I have a suggestion: take the car into a dealer for a documented oil change, Then don't bother messing around with that stupid dipstick and drive it HARD until oil runs out almost completely. Return to dealer (1 quart per 1000miles, so 1000miles later) and ask for a new engine. Period
+1
cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #179
slinksZ
Registered User
 
slinksZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ok they started my consumption last wednesday. They had me drive 500 to 700 miles which I thought was strange because every other dealer has you go 1000 miles according to this thread. I checked the oil when they did the first oil change and it was right at the high mark. I let the car sit all night and checked it this morning and it was a little more than than a quarter of the way down from the H mark. I do not know for sure how much this is. What killed me was the dealer told me that it did not burn any oil at all, lucky I checked it and service manager and I went around. Does any one know how much oil actually registers on the dip stick itself?
slinksZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #180
rkd350z
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
rkd350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

interested
rkd350z is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autocross Brake Pads hajwoj Autocross/Road 27 11-01-2015 05:25 PM
Oil change with aftermarket oil cooler XM 1 Engine & Drivetrain 11 10-01-2015 10:44 PM
oil pressure drops after a run session? apex locator Autocross/Road 6 10-01-2015 03:47 PM


Tags
2006, 350z, build, check, consumption, consumtion, copy, date, engine, infiniti, nissan, ntb07088c, oil, tsb, v2, valves

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Copyright 2002 - 2008, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.