Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

BuiltZmotors review and build feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:56 AM
punish_her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BuiltZmotors review and build feedback

First of all I want to thank Todd at Built Z Motors for the amazing work and great customer service. He provided great feedback and was real helpful durring the process of getting my wish list from paper to engine bay. He was real flexable since I provided all the valve train and had shipping Issues.

Seth and the crew at Sonic Motorsports in Honolulu, Hi. They are by far the best guys on island to go to for your VQ35 Needs. There were ALOT of little issues that came up and the addressed them all as well as a few self induced problems. They have and are still providing great customer service and folow up. They are definately not trying to dick you over like most other shops here on island.

And none of this would have gotten started if it wasnt for the name dropping of Chris (636racer), after I sold him an oil pan. So thanks for the point in the right direction. You have a seat saved when Im at 600+whp.

So here is what went in:

WISECO PISTONS 8.6:1
EAGLE H-BEAM RODS
HKS HEADGASKETS
ARP 1/2" HEAD STUDS (BLOCK MACHINED WITH TIMESERTS INSTALLED)
ARP MAIN STUDS
REV UP OIL PUMP-18% INCREASED EFFICIENCY OVER STOCK
FERREA +1MM VALVES
FERREA HD VALVE SPRINGS
FERREA TITANIUM RETAINERS
FERREA HIGH ANGLE STAINLESS VALVE LOCKS
FERREA STAINLESS VALVE LOCATORS
FERREA BRASS VALVE GUIDES
FERREA INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVE STEM SEALS
JIM WOLFE STAGE 1 CAMS
FULL PORT AND POLISH AND KNIFE ENDGING
5 ANGLE VALVE JOB
FULL BOWL WORK
MACHINE BLOCK (WITH USE OF TORQUE PLATES)
BALANCING, POLISH CRANK
REDECK HEADS AND BLOCK
REAR CYLINDER COOLING MODIFICATION
ALTERED ATMOSPHERE FUEL RETURN SYSTEM
WALBRO 250LPH FUEL PUMP
RC 650CC FUEL INJECTORS
EAGLE BILLET VACUUM MANIFOLD
JIM WOLFE LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL
STAGE 5 SPEC CLUTCH
KOYO RACING RADIATOR
CERAMIC COATED EXHAUST TURBINE HOUSINGS
CERAMIC COATED EXHAUST MANIFOLDS
CERAMIC COATED DOWN PIPES

NISMO FINNED DIF COVER
TOMEI TECHNICAL TRAX 2WAY LSD

And a whole crap load of other parts for the car.

The quality of work on the machine work on the engine when it was recieved was outstanding and far surpassed my expectations. Definately a professional job. Todd made good on all his quotes and when little mistakes came up he didnt nickle and dime me. He did however suggest a few things that were not on the initial build list that would make the car more safe and reliable at the HP levels I'm looking for, so I took his expertise and advice and went with his advice. I realy should have no problems with headlift with every thing thats there.

Thanks to some issues with a bad driver side primary O2 sensor the car runs a bit rough but I have sensor in hand and will be replaced ASAP. The O2 sensor was covered in liquid gas when my engine went south. Gas was pouring out of the drivers side exhaust on my duals. That coupled with them sitting there in gas for months realy kicked that sensor in the *****.

As she sits right now I can definately feal she wants more power but I gotta be gental with the breakin.

The Spec clutch is a bit noisy during engagement but that will subside alittle after the breakin (sounds of a screwdriver on a chalk board/ metal on metal). The engagement window for the clutch is half the distance than stock and has the same pedal pressure as the JWT setup I had previously. This will definately hold the power that Im looking for. I'll try and get photos from Seth of the clutch instal he said there were some pictures taken of the clutch.

The Tomie Technitrax 2.0 way dif is definately a higher locking agressive dif. At first when I was at slower speeds making tighter turns the inside wheel would drag a bit but I've been noticeing a lot less of that as the breakin goes along. It realy changes the characteristic of the car. Before I would stear into a turn and the @ss would follow, but now it feals as if Im being pushed; from the rear, into the turn. Definately more stable and predictable. Besides the subsiding chirp the dif is fine and I realy dont see just yet why people are saying its too agressive for the street. But this is comming from my chevy experience with lockers 4.11's and welding spider gears. So take it with a grain of salt.

The combonation of the dif and clutch is a monster. The clutch once it hits wants to stick HARD. Then the dif kicks in and if your not on the gas it will buck alittle to get you attention. Kinda like a horse that wants to go fast, they get your attention so you let them go fast. I cant wait till I see the full power of the car, it will be interisting.

So as of right now I have almost 80 miles on the break in. Thats a big feat for here on island when you drive 20 miles and you have gone across 70% of the island. I have a break in plan of 80 to 100 miles a day for 10 to 12 days and then the TUNE!!!!

So again I would like to thank Todd for giving me the opprotunity to be the first on island with a BuiltZMotor in a Z. I've sent some his way and plan on sending more.

We need to get this thing done and running.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 AM
punish_her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supporting Car Mods

Here are the other Mods I have on the car thus far:

FORCED INDUCTION

GREDDY TWIN TURBO KIT 03-05 NISSAN 350Z
3 CORE GREDDY FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER
SVR TECH WASTE GATE RELOCATION KIT CERAMIC COATED
SVR TECH ATMOSPHERIC DUMP TUBES
MEGAN RACING TEST PIPES
EXTRA 02 BUNG FOR A/F GUAGE