Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New 3+ degree colder Bosch Spark Plugs, courtesy of Smithtown Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Importlife.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 3+ degree colder Bosch Spark Plugs, courtesy of Smithtown Nissan

Today must have been ricer Xmas! Cuz I just got a set of exclusive Bosch Spark Plugs off the IRL Infiniti race team. The same ones they use on the V8 Nissan/Infiniti engines!!!

They run 3 degree colder than the stock NGK in the 350Z. The only problem we had was the check engine light, which will forever stay on now because of the rough idle and god knows what else I decide to add on.

The car sputters a bit on idle like a race car at the track. But when tested, all cylinders were ok and the car loves to be driven hard.

The obvious trade off here is knowing I have a set of plugs that cost $40+ each and can last 500 miles at top speed on a race track!!! And if you look at the pics, no you are not seeing things. Say bye bye to typical prong electrodes!

Can you smell the NOS now? Cuz you will after Nopi Racewars!

We have a lot of exciting projects coming this year. Stay tuned to Importlife.com, SmithtownNissan.com, and Acosta Racing.

I love my Z.

Thanks again to Smithtown Nissan for hooking my a$$ up.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 PM
DarkTalon

What would be the benefits of going one more step colder (after 2). Do you plan to increase the 100 hp shot?

I dont realize the difference of another step colder. Remember, those race engines are high compression (my bad if I'm wrong), so they need to avoid detonation at all cost. They run in the tuning edge so to have some advantage over the others.

Please post updates and reviews.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Importlife.com

My on and off and on again twin turbo project and i will also be increasing my 100 shot.

Right now i am only getting 60 to the wheels with my 100 shot. which is a nono.

So with all the forced induction, My sponsor Smithtown prob saved me a lot of money by taking proactive preventative measures. last thing they want to see is their sponsored z out of commission.

As far as review. I have to dyno the nos with the new plugs next week. I shot it on the way home and it seems to pull harder. but who knows. and again the check engine light cannot be defeated with the new rough idle.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 05-14-2003 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:53 PM
DarkTalon

60 to the wheels? Remember that the Z runs very rich, maybe some fuel management will go a long way on improving the power output.

Do you have a dyno chart? How is the TT project going?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Wicked4u2c

You know, I bet those race plugs are causing your car to idle rough because of the gap size... Race cars have very very and I mean very closed gaps... Just because they are race plugs doesn't make them "better" than a regular iridium standard plug. Reason I tell you this because when I raced my honda I had turbo & Nitrous and ran Denso Iridiums. Just check the gap that it isn't to small...
Old 05-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why in the world would you want this? 1 step colder than stock is good for turbo engines, 2 steps if you are running very high boost levels (pulls more heat of the combustion chamber), 3 steps is honestly retarded, and is killing the combustion efficiency.

How is your NOS run? fogger or wet (I hope wet). If so, honestly no colder plug is needed at all, since a 100 shot is still rather mild, and if its wet, it is injecting fuel and NOS, so no real need to overcompensate with the colder plug...the NOS is taking care of the heat exchange for you.

Adam
Old 05-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Why in the world would you want this? 1 step colder than stock is good for turbo engines, 2 steps if you are running very high boost levels (pulls more heat of the combustion chamber), 3 steps is honestly retarded, and is killing the combustion efficiency.

How is your NOS run? fogger or wet (I hope wet). If so, honestly no colder plug is needed at all, since a 100 shot is still rather mild, and if its wet, it is injecting fuel and NOS, so no real need to overcompensate with the colder plug...the NOS is taking care of the heat exchange for you.

Adam

That is correct, you will lost horsepower because of that... perhaps 10-20HP! No joke, to cold for N/A Setup.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Importlife.com

Acosta will have my car next week and they will be dynoing the car with the plugs. So we will see.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:54 PM
UnderPressure

What is the part number of the plug? Just for reference.