Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Carbonetics LSD and 4.083 Gears Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Carbonetics LSD and 4.083 Gears Installed!

I'm happy to say that I got my 4.083 final drive gears and Carbonetics CF LSD installed at Lokey Infiniti this week. Big thanks to John Oliva, Doug Urban, and of course Christian for actually doing the work! It's a mod that Lokey doesn't do on a regular basis, but they have the equipment and knowledge to do it, and they did a great job on mine.

I bought the Nismo 4.083 final drive gears, Carbonetics Carbon Fiber Limited Slip Differential, ATS gear oil, and Nismo rear end cover from Adam at Z1 Performance. Thanks for the help and great service, Adam.

Also, thanks to Todd (aceman) for posting his findings with the 4.083 gears. If you are considering these gears, make sure you read Todd's Thread first.

I have been planning to change the rear end gears in my G for quite a while. I originally planned to get a set of the 3.91 gears, but decided to go with the 4.083 gears when it turned out that they would fit my housing, too. The 4.083 gears come OEM in a Nissan Frontier. I've also thought about getting a better differential from time to time, so this seemed like the perfect time to swap that out too.

The new 4.083 gears really increase the acceleration in my G. It makes quite a noticeable difference... they definitely up the fun-to-drive number! The mechanical advantage the gears add is more than I expected. The difference in speed in each gear dropped a bit... 80 miles per hour in sixth gear used to be 3,000 RPM on the tach, now it's 3,400.

The Carbonetics LSD is much quieter than I was expecting. No noise and no clunking when making sharp turns. I haven't fully broken the diff in yet, so I'll know more about that in the future. The only downside to the Carbonetics LSD is that it requires fluid changes every 3,000 miles and ATS highly recommends using their fluid. I'll just change it with the oil.

If you love driving your car and shifting, this is a great mod for you! If you hate shifting, you probably didn't get a 6mt and this mod is probably not for you. Anyway... It makes an incredible difference... and I love it!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congrats Jb

Glad you like them.. Makes the car alot more fun to drive.

Im still very happy with them.

Also added a link on the first page to this thread.

Todd

Last edited by ACEMAN; 11-30-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:28 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Congrats JB!! Can't wait to get mine. I'm looking for a shop to install these gears and a Quaife LSD for me as well, how much would Lokey charge to install the gear, lsd, and fluid change? How long was your car down for?

You should take your car to the track now!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:49 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by aceman
Congrats Jb

Glad you like them.. Makes the car alot more fun to drive.

Im still very happy with them.

Also added a link on the first page to this thread.

Todd
Thanks!

It is a very slick mod... Makes the car much more fun to drive. These cars should have come with at least a 3.7 FD in them.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
Congrats JB!! Can't wait to get mine. I'm looking for a shop to install these gears and a Quaife LSD for me as well, how much would Lokey charge to install the gear, lsd, and fluid change? How long was your car down for?
Thanks, Priscilla.

My G was the first final drive change Lokey has done in quite a while, so the price could change. The labor alone was about $750. Probably not the cheapest your could find, but they do good work and of course you get a loaner car while yours is being worked on. It was a good value for me.

Likewise, my G took a little longer than the next new FD change would take. It turns out that Infiniti does not stock things like ring gear bolts and pinion nuts. We had to wait a bit longer than normal for them to come in... plus the Thanksgiving holidays added a day or two.

If you have tight time constraints, you might want to order the parts before you actually take your car in for the work. That would save a lot of time.

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
You should take your car to the track now!
Yes, I plan to. I was registered for the last Tampa Racing event before it got cancelled.

There's one more mod I'd like to complete before I run it at the track... I'll be over in your neck of the woods for that...

Last edited by __jb; 11-30-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
VitViper

Congrats and enjoy the gears! $750 just for labor is pretty steep though ($430 is what it cost me).
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 AM
twitch579

Hey I live in St Pete near the HF, man I wanna get those gears so bad, Lokey does all my work too, they just put in a new tranny in my 04 Z. Man we gotta meet up so I can go for a ride in your car with the gear. Im on the fence about getting this for my car. It will be my first mod on the car besides a drop in K/n. SO at 80mph your at 3400rpm? I take 275 to work and I dont wanna make my car totally useless on the highway.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Regul8or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, Im over by USF, I've always been curious about these gears as well, they sound like the way to go if you stay NA
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Gooey

$750 is a bit steep. I paid $500 for my installed but they did more than the rear end. They fixed my clutch. Redid my exhaust. Dyno'd my car. And they did all this from 11am of time I dropped it off and I picked up the car at 5:30pm the same day. Now thats great service
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
Thanks, Priscilla.

My G was the first final drive change Lokey has done in quite a while, so the price could change. The labor alone was about $750. Probably not the cheapest your could find, but they do good work and of course you get a loaner car while yours is being worked on. It was a good value for me.

Likewise, my G took a little longer than the next new FD change would take. It turns out that Infiniti does not stock things like ring gear bolts and pinion nuts. We had to wait a bit longer than normal for them to come in... plus the Thanksgiving holidays added a day or two.

If you have tight time constraints, you might want to order the parts before you actually take your car in for the work. That would save a lot of time.

Yes, I plan to. I was registered for the last Tampa Racing event before it got cancelled.

There's one more mod I'd like to complete before I run it at the track... I'll be over in your neck of the woods for that...

not at all bad considering they did the diff for you, and all new bearings, etc, and you got a loaner! Better to pay $750 and KNOW its done correctly, and that the shop has your back, vs a lower pricing and guessing
Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by twitch579
Hey I live in St Pete near the HF, man I wanna get those gears so bad, Lokey does all my work too, they just put in a new tranny in my 04 Z. Man we gotta meet up so I can go for a ride in your car with the gear. Im on the fence about getting this for my car. It will be my first mod on the car besides a drop in K/n. SO at 80mph your at 3400rpm? I take 275 to work and I dont wanna make my car totally useless on the highway.
Originally Posted by Regul8or
Yea, Im over by USF, I've always been curious about these gears as well, they sound like the way to go if you stay NA
The 4.083 gears are a great mod. They make a tremendous acceleration improvement in an NA VQ35. Having said that, I agree with Regul8tor. I wouldn't recommend putting these gears in a G or Z if you plan on going FI later on. It also might be a bit premature to put them on a non-revup VQ35 without any other mods.

I hope you two guys attended The Run this weekend. It was an amazing event... fun... lots of G's and Z's... close to 120 cars registered. We went over the Skyway and back... the gears are fine on the highway... I drive a lot on the Interstate, too... The difference is noticeable, but not bad.

I try to schedule a Florida G35 Club Mini-Meet in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater region every month or so. I'm not sure if we'll have one before the Christmas holidays, but I'd be happy to give you guys rides at the next meet.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
not at all bad considering they did the diff for you, and all new bearings, etc, and you got a loaner! Better to pay $750 and KNOW its done correctly, and that the shop has your back, vs a lower pricing and guessing
Thanks, Adam!

That's exactly how I looked at it.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:01 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys... I appreciate it.

I finished the differential break-in this weekend (300 miles). The break in amounts to a couple of hundred miles of easy driving followed by 15 minutes of figure eights and then a fluid change. The gear oil was a dark, metallic black... lots of carbon fiber in it... now I should be good to go for 4,000 miles.

I realized this morning that I hadn't posted any pictures with this thread... That's not good, so here's a picture of my new Nismo rear end cover.

The fins help keep the fluid cool... a necessity with higher gears... or, maybe I just thought it looked cool... Hahahaha...

Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 PM
mavtais

^ Very cool. Yeah, the fins should work. What upsets me is that the Titan gets fins from the factory, but we don't.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

How much was your total for all that stuff from Z1? PM me if you aren't comfortable posting it.

Were you waiting on parts from infiniti because you didn't order the install kit?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by kamikaZ
How much was your total for all that stuff from Z1? PM me if you aren't comfortable posting it.

Were you waiting on parts from infiniti because you didn't order the install kit?
Here's a link to the diff and gears on Adams site. If you want something more detailed, give him a call. He's a nice guy...

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2106

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2833

At the time I ordered the bearings and small parts from my Infiniti dealership, they were not in stock. Not many Infiniti's change their rear end gears. The dealership and their distribution point were both out of the parts, so I had to wait.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Originally Posted by Gooey
$750 is a bit steep. I paid $500 for my installed but they did more than the rear end. They fixed my clutch. Redid my exhaust. Dyno'd my car. And they did all this from 11am of time I dropped it off and I picked up the car at 5:30pm the same day. Now thats great service
Where did you have your gears installed?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 AM
L. Baggins

Originally Posted by kamikaZ
Where did you have your gears installed?
Me and Gooey got our gears installed at SRT in beltsville...

Here is their website: http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/default.aspx

Talk to Moe. He will take care of you.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Originally Posted by L. Baggins
Me and Gooey got our gears installed at SRT in beltsville...

Here is their website: http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/default.aspx

Talk to Moe. He will take care of you.

Thanks, I'll check them out it's only about 15 min from my house.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:04 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

It's been about ten months since my original 4.08 final drive and Carbonetics LSD installation. I thought it might be nice to add an update.

I see some people concerned about noise with the Carbonettics LSD. I'm happy to say that my rear is still as quiet as it originally was. I do change the fluid quite often though. I mentioned in one of the posts above that I broke the diff in and changed the fluid at 300 miles. I have now changed the fluid every time I change the oil. I always use genuine Carbonetics fluid. It's expensive and I have to mail order it, but I think it's worth it.

I recently drove from St. Petersburg to Gainesville, and back, with 4.08 gears. I was traveling 80 mph most of the time, plus we drove around Gainesville and I got stuck in a traffic jam on I-4 on the way home for 20 minutes. I went 299.1 miles and averaged 20.578 miles per gallon. I might have gotten more with the stock gears, but, my car runs a bit richer than normal. I'm pretty happy with 20.5 mpg.

So, what's next for me? I'm driving to the Performance Factory this Tuesday to have Jeremy remove this perfectly good engine and put in a new, different one. The new engine will have stronger bottom end parts, more compression, and bigger cams... all the traditional stuff. This will surely be my last mod... Hahaha...

Quick Reply: Carbonetics LSD and 4.083 Gears Installed!