Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How hard is it to actually blow a stock VQ motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
LT_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to actually blow a stock VQ motor?

I know the VQ is a really strong motor but I've heard some stories of people miss shifting and over-revving their motor where the tack is bouncing off the gauge like crazy and I figure the rods would soon give out from too much pressure on the engine.

Prime example of what I'm referring to.

driving your car to redline in 3rd gear then when you shift to 4th you actually miss 4th and shift to 2nd (only for about a second then you put the car back in neutral). Reason I asked is because my idiot friend who knows how to drive a standard fairly well bugged me to take my car out for a spin, at first I was hesitant but I figured he knew what he was doing (boy was I wrong) and that's exactly what happened. I've been feeling really worried lately about my engine...should I be? or is the motor fine? It literally happened for a split second.

btw: I'm basically almost all stock
Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
blazed54

if it was only for an instant and your car is running fine now, then you're probably ok... about your friend being able to drive fairly well...he can't.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Madbomber

i did the same thing twice on the highway. both times for some spirited acceleration vs another fellow motorist. tacked out 3rd, ment to drop into 4th but went into 2nd while dumping the clutch and gas... the revs went to 9k for a second. a friend said that did a mechanical override! if something would have broke, would have been noticable then. u should be fine. my z had 10k miles on it and since then have had a warranty v2 engine placed at 21k
Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
LT_350Z

^^ thanks...it makes me feel much better to hear that...i keep my engine in good shape i never miss a shift wen im goin at high speeds or redlining i almost cut his head off wen i was in the car with him and that happened. but the car is running perfectly fine i drove it from biloxi to houston today (6 hour drive) and nothing wrong with it at all...seems the same as it was before so i guess i shouldnt worry about it so much
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
LT_350Z

Originally Posted by Madbomber
i did the same thing twice on the highway. both times for some spirited acceleration vs another fellow motorist. tacked out 3rd, ment to drop into 4th but went into 2nd while dumping the clutch and gas... the revs went to 9k for a second. a friend said that did a mechanical override! if something would have broke, would have been noticable then. u should be fine. my z had 10k miles on it and since then have had a warranty v2 engine placed at 21k
i do notice wen i tack out 3rd and try to switch to 4th it feels a lil harder to get into gear than any other gear for some reason
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did it recently on the highway. Instead of 4th i went to 2nd. my tach slammed 9k. however, it was for a split second, i doubt that there is anything wrong.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Madbomber

when it happened the engine screamed, the car shifted left/right and slowed down fast!! have u seen "fear and loathing" when they rent a convertable... u finally broke in the tranny, checking it for stress factors :P maybe even added some patina
Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Adrians350Z

I don't understand how you could go from 3rd to 2nd when you are accelerating? My natural reflex is to pull towards me when I'm accelerating and push away from me when I'm decelerating (right hand drive)
Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Madbomber

Originally Posted by Adrians350Z
I don't understand how you could go from 3rd to 2nd when you are accelerating? My natural reflex is to pull towards me when I'm accelerating and push away from me when I'm decelerating (right hand drive)
righthand drive
Old 05-14-2008, 10:40 PM
LT_350Z

Originally Posted by Madbomber
when it happened the engine screamed, the car shifted left/right and slowed down fast!! have u seen "fear and loathing" when they rent a convertable... u finally broke in the tranny, checking it for stress factors :P maybe even added some patina
thats exactly wat happened wen my friend did it...the tires started peeling out and the car shifted from side to side i was scared like never before
Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Motero
Banned

Ive missed gears before, but i have never let it hit 9k rpms. Thats how people blow up engines. I dont know how you could let it hit 9k rpm, you can feel it instantly if you put it in the wrong gear.

Its one to thing to bounce off the rev limiter, and its another thing to put it into the wrong gears. Thats much, much worse.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
racerfreakxxx

you'd have to take off your rev limmiter to blow the engine... i've bounced the car off the limmiter numerouse times and i have 50k worth of wear... still running great... i have friends with honda's that remove the rev limiter and when they mis-shift at 8k and rev the car to 10k they blow their engine
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM
v8 rofl
Banned

i did this in my subaru before i sold it, i think it ****ed up the syncro or something but the motor was fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
blazed54

Originally Posted by racerfreakxxx
you'd have to take off your rev limmiter to blow the engine... i've bounced the car off the limmiter numerouse times and i have 50k worth of wear... still running great... i have friends with honda's that remove the rev limiter and when they mis-shift at 8k and rev the car to 10k they blow their engine
uh...no. in a manual even with a rev limiter you can still seriously damage your engine by mis-shifting.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
bobbylondonuk

on a LHD car as you aggressively shift up (3rd to 4th) you tend to pull the lever towards you..which would explain the shift down to 2nd.....IMO you dont need to be very aggressive on the gear lever.....try the same approach a bit gentler on the shifting.....

regarding the reving to 9k and stalling....its the rev limiter cutting the power and that is very dangerous on twisty roads...luckily most of the USA are straight roads and you would feel nothing more than a weaving of the tail!!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 AM
JunkStory

Originally Posted by LT_350Z
I know the VQ is a really strong motor but I've heard some stories of people miss shifting and over-revving their motor where the tack is bouncing off the gauge like crazy and I figure the rods would soon give out from too much pressure on the engine.

Prime example of what I'm referring to.

driving your car to redline in 3rd gear then when you shift to 4th you actually miss 4th and shift to 2nd (only for about a second then you put the car back in neutral). Reason I asked is because my idiot friend who knows how to drive a standard fairly well bugged me to take my car out for a spin, at first I was hesitant but I figured he knew what he was doing (boy was I wrong) and that's exactly what happened. I've been feeling really worried lately about my engine...should I be? or is the motor fine? It literally happened for a split second.

btw: I'm basically almost all stock
ouch that can't be good. This is why friends let don't friends drive their manual cars. It can ruin their friendship.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 AM
geneses7

Originally Posted by JunkStory
ouch that can't be good. This is why friends let don't friends drive their manual cars. It can ruin their friendship.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car will never be the same. Better trade it in for a new one.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 AM
my05350z

i have never done that going third to second but fifth to fourth once or twice. The needle just stopped moving, it didnt over rev at all. My tachometer has never passed the redline.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

ive done that b4... nothing really happened.... if you hear things or the car just isnt driving normally then ye something is wrong.. if not. You should be fine

Quick Reply: How hard is it to actually blow a stock VQ motor?