Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 AM
punish_her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.

Looking at wiring suggestions for Mishimoto slim line fans. They only have 1 positive and 1 negative line and the factory fans iare wired for 2+2 per fan. I have a UTEC and was looking into using the spare solenoid driver to activate a relay at temprature to switch the secondary voltage but not too sure about that. It would run into the same issues as Ying them together. Some one had previously suggested at just Y-ing them down to the one wire on the hot grounds. Looking at that with out increasing the gauge wire on the mishimoto's it will increace the amprage on the fan end.

Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double pole double throw relay. Two relays in one.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
punish_her

Yes but how would that be wired. DPDT relay would toss both circuits at once unles you wire one feeder leg into the signal leg of a second relay. At that you can on fan running then when the secondary circuit kicks in it will turn on the second relay set but I came across a decent wiring set up on another site 350z tech:

From what it looks like it isolates fan duties. With a crossover circuit using the existing harness, the low and heavy duty circuits are splitting the power and shunting all of the low end power to one fan and all the aditional power to the other leaving the other one running. With the factory fans they are multi speed and when the additional power comes into play you will hear the fans speed up. On this routing the fans look as if the base power stays the same the other fan is turned on to increase the cooling.

My only concern is the effect of a fan with or with out a fan shroud. I know a shroud makes a huge diffrence but folk on here want several humdred for a shroud and mishimoto hasnt put one out for a Z yet. It seems to be a fairly simple and strainght forward deal making a shroud. The hardest part is getting a 90 degree brake to bend the edges of the metal. I would take the every thing to a maching shop and have them bend it and weld it up.

I think I may try this wiring circuit out. I'll try and do a before and after on the water temps but since I dont have dyno results I they probably wont be that accurate due to differing loads on the engine.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:10 PM
rocks

If it is a dual speed fan you can use a single pole double throw. I have some electric fans in my 280zxt that stole off of an old 240sx, 1 fan cools the 280zxt. Keeps it right about 200degrees with no shroud. Without running a shroud you need put the biggest fan you can in there.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:43 PM
punish_her

Mishimoto's are a single speed fan. Thats where my issues have come into play. If it was a dual speed fan, I wouldnt have any issues with it. They would just hook right up.

On a side note I did get word back from mishimoto that they have started production of fan shrouds. They are in a kit right now for $265 which includes the shroud, 2 fans, and all the mounting hardware. Good deal realy, IMHO.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually have their fan shroud on my car, but I used the one for the Z on my G. Not sure why it is different, but when I line it up with my stock the mount points are identical. I was thinking of adding a relay like rocks mentioned but didn't get around to it. But I was planning to add a switch as oppose to hooking it up to a temperature sensor. Let us know how it turns out.

Name:  IMG_4934.jpg
Views: 3973
Size:  68.1 KB

Last edited by gabe3d; 06-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Ask istan how we have his wired up. No Utec involved
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
rocks

I have a temp sensor connected to my relays in the 280zx turbo. It pokes into the fins on the radiator. Crude but it works. You adjust a dial on it with a screw driver. Its connected to the battery and 12v+ switched source. Looks similar to this setup.
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Adju...43351/10002/-1
More items here. Sometimes import people forget to check domestic catalogs lol.
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Elec...58607/10002/-1
Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM
punish_her

Wiring it with the diagram does not need aditional relays, UTEC, or external temp sensors. It uses the factory unit to do all that but uses one fan or the other. As soon as I get a word back on cost + shipping I'll get her wired up and see how it goes.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Ask istan how we have his wired up. No Utec involved
That wiring diagram below is actually the one I made based on Aaron's notes from our install.

Everything worked fine for two years. Almost to the day. One of my FAL fans just failed this week. I am going to order the Mishimoto from Mrwong@statik

I plan on using the exact same wiring for this.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:32 AM
punish_her

Originally Posted by iStan
That wiring diagram below is actually the one I made based on Aaron's notes from our install.

Everything worked fine for two years. Almost to the day. One of my FAL fans just failed this week. I am going to order the Mishimoto from Mrwong@statik

I plan on using the exact same wiring for this.
Definately sounds promising then. Are you getting the mishimoto fan shroud as well? I sent them an email inquiring about the fan shroud and they said that they will not sell the shroud with out fans so its either a great deal or you have to duplicate efforts. Now if mrwrong has access to the shrouds alone then pass on that I will gladly buy one.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM
punish_her

Looking through the service manual I came across a slight diffrence between the 04 and 06 wiring. If you can refrence EC 480 you can see that there is 4 pins per plug. Each power wire per pin has the same voltage but turned on at diffrent temps. So each plug has a Green(1), Blue(2), Black(3), and Yellow(4) wires. Terminal 1 & 2 are pos, 3 & 4 are Neg.

So the wiring for the 04 cooling fans that would match the 06 is 1 on both terminals will go to POS on one fan with 3 on both terminals. The other fan will have 2 & 4 hooked the same way on the other side. Basicly 2 green will be hooked to the blue wire on fan 1 and 2 black will be hooked to the black wire on fan 1. Fan 2 will have 2 blue hooked to the one blue and 2 yellow hooked to the black on fan 2. I'll be wiring and mounting these up shortly and will have alot of pictures.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 PM
punish_her

So I finished up the cooling fan install. With the 350Z there is an extension to the harness so I pulled the extensions and made a seperate harness for the new radiators. I ended up soldering the respetive wire pairs together instead of using butt crimps. All the wires were heat shrunk and laid in flex conduit to make the new harness.

With the fan mounting kits from NAPA it wasnt realy hard to get the drivers side in but with the passanger side I had to drop the intercooler to get where I needed to mount up the fan. While I was down there I found a little stow away stuck in a little nook. The Mina bird that I had hit at triple digits, well I found a momento.

The final results with the fans looks pretty decent. Some may say I mounted them upside down but I beg to differ. Since I dont have an undertray I dont want road debris kicked up and getting into the wiring. With the wiring running up then back down the custom catch can assembly completly covers the fan motors so nothing will fall in the up ended motor wires.

Well thats the cooling fans down. I idled the car and the fans were switching left and right. Tomorrow I will drive out and bring it up to temp to test that both fans come on. If all else I can grab a consult II to turn on the fnas in low and high modes to see which fan is on which circuit. I can always get a shroud in if its nescessary. we will see how the coolant temps go.
Attached Thumbnails Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.-dscn3431.jpg   Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.-dscn3433.jpg   Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.-dscn3427.jpg   Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.-dscn3430.jpg   Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.-dscn3434.jpg  

Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM
punish_her

I ran it through some road tests and partial boost runs (12 psi). The fan on the drivers side is on circuit one and the passanger side fan is on circuit 2. Both fans switch on at the appropriate times (temp above 100, AC on, etc.). It seems to be running just fine. The only thing I can think of to make it a little more efficient is the fan shroud. But I need to see how it handles hotter days before passing judgment on if I absolutley need a shroud or not.

It was about a 4 out of 10 on complexity. The diggest pain was a toss up between the wiring and removing the OEM fan shroud. Both were fairly easy just time consuming.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:49 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for letting us know about your wiring and your test. I will rewire mine to match your configuration.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by punish_her
Looking through the service manual I came across a slight diffrence between the 04 and 06 wiring. If you can refrence EC 480 you can see that there is 4 pins per plug. Each power wire per pin has the same voltage but turned on at diffrent temps. So each plug has a Green(1), Blue(2), Black(3), and Yellow(4) wires. Terminal 1 & 2 are pos, 3 & 4 are Neg.

So the wiring for the 04 cooling fans that would match the 06 is:

1 on both terminals will go to POS on one fan with 3 on both terminals. The other fan will have 2 & 4 hooked the same way on the other side.

Basicly 2 green will be hooked to the blue wire on fan 1 and 2 black will be hooked to the black wire on fan 1.

Fan 2 will have 2 blue hooked to the one blue and 2 yellow hooked to the black on fan 2.

I'll be wiring and mounting these up shortly and will have alot of pictures.

Ok, so i am going to be doing this mod this weekend.

I have all the necessary parts I believe. I disassembled and removed the old fan shroud. I am putting in the new radiator and fans.

I have the extension plug and the shorter plug. Both have the 4 wires you described.

What I need to do from what I am reading step by step, please correct me if I am wrong.

My set up for this question will be as your looking at the car Fan 1 is the Passenger side, Fan 2 is the Driver side

1. Cut the ends of both wire leads long and short, that connect directly to the stock fans.

2. Strip off the black heat jacket.

3. Take Blue wires from each harness and solder them to the Blue wire on fan 2.

4. Take Yellow wires from each harness and solder them to the Black wire on fan 2.

5. Take Green wires from each harness and solder them to the Blue wire on fan 1.

6. Take Black wires from each harness and solder them to the Black wire on fan 1.

7. Heat shrink all connections and then slide some sort of loom over them for protection.

8. Connect everything up and that should be that?

How do you know from just looking at the car based on your wiring setup, which plug went to which circuit. Or how will I know which fan goes to which circuit?

Last edited by nosurf2day; 07-31-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
iStan
ZR

When we were working on mine, we marked which clip went to which fan.

I have two issues:
1. I am still f'in overheating. I realized that so long as the AC is off, I can idle forever without overheating. However, AC goes on, I give it 15-20 minutes before my temp gauge starts to climb. The fawked up part, it doesn't matter if I am idle or going 75 on the freeway, 15-20 minutes with AC and I overheat.
2. I am not sure if it is my AMS Radiator or the Mishimoto Fan Shroud, but the passenger side bracket would not line up. I should have checked it on my old stock radiator, but it was painful enough getting the damn thing in there without removing my SC.

The wiring seems to still be working for me. I do need to go in there and clean it up a bit with some heat shrink and reducing the massive amount of slack I have left in the wiring.

My only other 'complaint' is, that I realized yesterday that the CFM rating on the 12" Mishimoto fans is ~900 each. My old FAL fans were rated to 2500 for the pair. I am hoping this isn't what is causing my AC overheating issue, if it is, I may have a slightly used Mishimoto Fan/Shroud available for sale soon.

Oh, and I installed my new Weapon R Coolant Overflow tank because the sun cracked my stock one. Shiny.

Last edited by iStan; 07-31-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 PM
nosurf2day

ohh crap, dont tell me that I am going to start having trouble with my 12" mishi fans and my TN kit overheating my car. Please not let it be so.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
iStan
ZR

The only thing that is alarming is the lack of CFM compared to my old FAL fans. I tried to find out how much the stock fans pulled, but no one seemed to have an answer.

Also, I am running into 110+* here.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
nosurf2day

ouch reminds me of when I was in iraq. Its not that hot here, high 80's to high 90's.

Keep me abreast of what you find out. I am right in the middle of doing this swap along with my AC compressor which started the whole damn thing. Sucks having to pull the turbo to swap the damn compressor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issues with wiring Mishimoto radiator fans.