Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Worn piston rings :(

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Legacy406

Received 3,272 Likes on 2,573 Posts
Default Worn piston rings :(

Just got my car back from Nissan because Ive been losing oil pressure and they told me my rings are worn. They also said I need a new engine which I dont believe. How should I go about this and what am I looking at for cost?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn bro what year is your car?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Legacy406

2003 with 110,xxx
Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM
pizzato16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me sorry. Thats f'n sucks man. What are ya gonna do?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well man you can take it to a mechanic for a second opinion.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Big Woo

If you have the equiptment you could verify this yourself, if not you could hire a shop.

There are a couple fairly easy ways to determine the piston ring condition in your car. A compression test and a leak down test, a leak down test is more accurate but is a little more involved and a leak down tester is more expensive.

Most Hayne's and Chilton's manuals describe how to preform a compression test fairly well.

The short version is as follows
Preform a dry test for each cylinder and record the pressure values.
Preform a wet test for each cylinder and record the pressure values.
A wet compression test is one where you add a small amount of motor oil to the cylinder just prior to preforming the compression test.
Compare the dry test results looking for similar pressure values for each cylinder within 10psi, this will give you a basic idea of how evenly the cylinders and rings are wearing. Then compare the dry values to the wet values, the general rule of thumb is if you see a pressure increase of 10psi or more that there is a ring sealing issue. The reason for this pressure increase is the oil added (for a few compression cycles) acts as an additional seal in and around the piston rings thereby increasing the cranking cylinder pressure.

A leak down test is slightly more involved, but it measures the actual percentage of leakage from each cylinder, and based on where the leak or leaks occur when air pressure is applied to each cylinder one can determine where it is comming from and what is the most likely cause.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Compression test. Leakdown test.

If you have a local speed shop, get a quote from them just to replace the rings. If you want, break out the credit card and get some extras.

OR

You can trade it in right now for a different car.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Legacy406

Brought it to one of my dads good friends for a double check. I may just get rid of the car and get my SUV back.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Legacy406
Just got my car back from Nissan because Ive been losing oil pressure and they told me my rings are worn. They also said I need a new engine which I dont believe. How should I go about this and what am I looking at for cost?
Oil pressure has absolutly nothing to do with piston rings.
The symtoms of worn rings is loss of compresion, a smokey motor & increased oil consumption
Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
plumpzz

Increased oil consumption can eventually lead to low oil pressure no?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Legacy406

Originally Posted by Nathan
Oil pressure has absolutly nothing to do with piston rings.
The symtoms of worn rings is loss of compresion, a smokey motor & increased oil consumption
Originally Posted by plumpzz
Yea I dont know I havent really been interested as much as I used to be with everything about cars but I took it there because there were a few things concerning me such as it burning oil and blowing smoke. Thats just what they told me today so I took it to another place to confirm.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Legacy406

My sister was following me when I got it from Nissan bringing it to the other shop and she said I was blowing smoke hardcore and when I went from a stop I shot out a big cloud.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Increased oil consumption on its own does not lead to low oil pressure, but if this increased consumption was not replaced & oil levels fell to very low levels then indeed low or even no oil pressure could be en counted
Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 AM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by Nathan
Increased oil consumption on its own does not lead to low oil pressure, but if this increased consumption was not replaced & oil levels fell to very low levels then indeed low or even no oil pressure could be en counted
I agree on that. If hes blowing black smoke like hes saying so badly, he can go through a quart every hundred miles. Time for a engine rehaul, or a new built motor
Old 07-23-2009, 05:39 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you just get the car 4 month ago? Damn that really sucks. Did you do any maintinence before you beat the **** out of her?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Worn rings by themselves will not cause a drop in oil pressure. It will cause an increase in oil consumption, as mentioned above, and if this oil consumption goes on long enough without adding more oil back you will lose oil pressure.....about the time the rod bearings seize up from not having any oil. If you're losing oil pressure it's most likely from the oil pump itself being worn or from sludge / buildup in the oil passages.

Since it looks like you're going to need to rebuild / replace your engine anyway if you keep the car it wouldn't hurt to try a couple of "miracle" cures before doing so. Try flushing the engine with something like Heartland Extreme Clean flush, this will clean out the oil passages and then replace your oil with a slightly heavier weight. If you're running 5-30 now go to a 10-40, the added viscosity can sometimes help prevent blow-by and consumption. Although this is mostly just going to work when the engine is cold as most all oils are designed to maintain the same viscosity at operating temp.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 AM
pizzato16

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
Worn rings by themselves will not cause a drop in oil pressure. It will cause an increase in oil consumption, as mentioned above, and if this oil consumption goes on long enough without adding more oil back you will lose oil pressure.....about the time the rod bearings seize up from not having any oil. If you're losing oil pressure it's most likely from the oil pump itself being worn or from sludge / buildup in the oil passages.

Since it looks like you're going to need to rebuild / replace your engine anyway if you keep the car it wouldn't hurt to try a couple of "miracle" cures before doing so. Try flushing the engine with something like Heartland Extreme Clean flush, this will clean out the oil passages and then replace your oil with a slightly heavier weight. If you're running 5-30 now go to a 10-40, the added viscosity can sometimes help prevent blow-by and consumption. Although this is mostly just going to work when the engine is cold as most all oils are designed to maintain the same viscosity at operating temp.
what causes this and how can I/we prevent this from happening to me/us
Old 07-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Nathan

Originally Posted by pizzato16
what causes this and how can I/we prevent this from happening to me/us
By "what causes this" I assume you mean low oil pressure & smokey motor.

There can be many causes for this but by far the most usual cause is wear & excessive clearance due to high mileage.

This wear cycle can be shortened by lack of maintenance & severe usage.

EG: Wrong spec oil, oil not replaced, oil pickup gauze slugged up, excessive high rev use, constant motor operating at bellow optimum temps (short trips). severe overheating of motor. ++++

To prevent this happening to you: Don't buy a high mileage car & avoid the above usage, but remember age catches up with everything. I know because I've just turned 66 YO, look after myself & eat the right things but I am starting to get aches & creaks that were never there before, but unlike the motor mentioned my (blood) pressures are starting to rise
The following users liked this post:
Oscarh16 (09-13-2021)
Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Where are you from. If you decide to get a new motor, its 500 dollars to replace one and it can be done in 2 days. Let me know.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Legacy406

New York

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worn piston rings :(