Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rev up motor vs non rev up motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very very poor information here, first of all the abs computer(no idea if your talking about the BCM or the actual abs module here) isnt a part of the engine. it being different has to do with the fact the 05-06 cars have different brakes, it has nothing to do with the engine.

next the reason the computer is different is because of the variable valve timing, again not the engine itself though.

third, the "different internals" is absolutely incorrect. the short blocks are identical, the heads are indentical, in fact you can use normal de heads on a revup by simply drilling two holes in each head one all the way through for the sensor the other halfway and tapped for the bolt to hold it in.

the ACTUAL differences are the cams, which are interchangeable i have de's running revup cams locally it simply requires a intake sprocket bolt and spacer on the exhaust side maxima guys have been doing this for years, front cover to support the magnet, oil pump, the extra cam sensors in the back of the head and the wiring thats it. get a aftermarket ecu like the aem infinity and you can covert over for under 1k(not counting the cost of the ecu) its been done before not difficult, only requires actual knowledge on what your doing.

the big jump is the HR like you stated however i have heard of people doing HR heads on de's just needs alot of machine work and not worth it. the big advantage for the HR engine is the higher flowing heads, which seriously isnt that big an advantage. DE heads flow 267 CFM intake side, enough for about 450hp NA, the engine simply dosnt rev high enough or have enough displacement to support it(seriously 5.7L lsx's with aftermarket heads that flow that much cant even max the heads and they are .71L per cylinder vs the vq's .58). the HR heads flow 300 cfm about enough for a hair over 500 na, again if you have enough displacement and rpms which the vq does not, not even the HR. so the benefit isnt really there unless your building 1k+ turbo engines.

edit: my bad the revup also has a different lower plenum to compliment the mildly bigger cams but it still sucks, have yet to see a manifold for the platform that impresses me why im building my own.
Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Well this topic has been beaten to death on this board multiple times, a quick search would have found quite a bit of what you're asking.

However, you've got the "2005 and 2006 model years" engine wrong -- in 2005, only the 35AE with 6MT and the Track model got the 300 HP "RevUp" engine, all others in 2005 got the 287HP engine.

2007+ 350Z have the HR engine -- it's not a "RevUp."

The RevUp engine has variable exhaust valve timing, different ECU, different ABS computer, different wiring harness, different internals, different intake plenum. You can't simply turn a non-RevUp into a RevUp. Nor can you turn a non-HR into an HR (well, you can, if you have more money than brains, but then you're probably not looking at a 350Z at that point).

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-12-2014 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ezmere (03-06-2021)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

a couple people have exceeded 750whp, think intense had one at a hair over 900 iirc? thats stock sleeves not darton sleeves, with darton sleeves vinny ten has ran up to 1600 whp. only problem ive heard of was XKR ovaling bores but no one has actually broken one.
Originally Posted by steven350
I know the oem rods are the weakest point in a stock de...

Just wondering the point where the block would crack under pressure
Old 07-13-2014, 02:13 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waldo36
Which noob are we talking about? What do you mean that 370s "probably offer the HR as AT"?....

skyedream, the one i quoted...

and its more than likely it IS offered as an AT rather than probably... i dont really care for the 370's but i doubt the made them all manual, just saying..
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 PM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
skyedream, the one i quoted...

and its more than likely it IS offered as an AT rather than probably... i dont really care for the 370's but i doubt the made them all manual, just saying..
Ya never mind, my point isn't getting across. I'm just going to stop.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
calibredz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waldo36
Ya never mind, my point isn't getting across. I'm just going to stop.
only intake cam is different on rev up. piston rings are different which is why the rev up was notorious for burning oil... the spec sizes, load capability, and dimensions are the same and just the materials are different because the motor wasn't designed for a US market. Which is why the short blocks are all interchangeable. 370z exhaust manifolds fit with just a stud change. and why the HR was said to have 80% part "upgrade" from the DE... they weren't including the DE-R because that is where the designs came from. HR had a US spec worthy motor, and the DE-R wasn't designed for.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 PM
gcohen66

Hi, noob here. i have a question, and I have a 2006 350z 6MT with a blown engine. It has 123K on it. From the discussion above, it seems I have a rev up engine. It also seems the rev up engines, like mine, have problems with burning oil. My question is, is this engine a piece of garbage? Did Nissan have a real problem with this engine? I also have a 2001 Pathfinder with a 350 engine that is going strong at 156K.

How many others with my engine in my 350Z have had their engine blow chunks?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:29 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not "common" to blow these engines, yeah it does happen when people don't put in oil. Low oil is definitely the number 1 cause for blown engines. Nissan made the motors quite strong, with the rev up it just has a lil extra oil consumption so you just need to check.the oil every now and then. There's really nothing wrong with it, and you should check your oil often no matter what motors in it anyways.
The following users liked this post:
g0lfball3R (08-13-2020)
Old 10-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Zona911

Originally Posted by dyna962007
Ok guys, from reading this forum, It seems therse are the facts.

The 2003-2004 model motors were non rev up type producing like 287HP.
The 2005 and 2006 model years uses the higher reving motor producing 300HP.
The 2007 and 2008 used a 307HP but with slighlty less torque, not sure if its a Rev up motor or not.
My question is this, just exaclty what is the internal differences in the motors from 03-08 that are responsible for this increase in RPM red line and overall increases in HP.
Common sense would dictate that it might be Throttle body size increase, Caming, changes in the ECU, chaanges to the intake etc etc.
But we should be able to identify these changes and then hopefully incorperate some of them into the old motors.
ALso I was told today, there was a problem with the older motors, 03-04 in the rod bearing area. It seem there is a stretching of the rod or main bearing bolts??
Anyone have any input on any of these points? Thanks, Mike

Will a valve cover from a rev up motor fit on a non rev up motor ?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:56 AM
josephscaturro

I have a 2007 Nismo. IS that the HR engine? I recently went through a large puddle and rendered the engine useless, so insurance replaced the engine with another used engine. Innate to be sure that I got the same engine put in me 2008 Nismo that was originally in it when I bought it back in 2007.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW - if you ever plan to FI it, the DE has the best aftermarket support, while the HR is like the red headed step child. HR is a better motor fundamentally but it's a weird run (07-08) and gets looked passed a lot by aftermarket vendors for FI and motor build components.

It shares very similar internals as the 37VHR, so you can swap the crank, that's a cool little cheap thing to do on it to get a 3.7L 350z for cheap. But having had both DE & HR built, the DE is the easier platform with the best support BY FAR, you'll pay more top dollar for the HR mods and very limited options.

Last edited by Juztin; 01-04-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Countryboy8613

So my question is this... I hear all these different motor types in different years... I got a 2005 350z 3.5 L 6m/t... What motor do I have and what all info can you guys give me??? I'm completey a Noob and been reading for 2 days off this forum and scratching my head as to what I have, whats the factory horse power of my car? And can anyone point me in the right direction to properly mod my car without going to F/I yet...
Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM
John_B

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Countryboy8613
So my question is this... I hear all these different motor types in different years... I got a 2005 350z 3.5 L 6m/t... What motor do I have and what all info can you guys give me??? I'm completey a Noob and been reading for 2 days off this forum and scratching my head as to what I have, whats the factory horse power of my car? And can anyone point me in the right direction to properly mod my car without going to F/I yet...
Start looking at the year and VQ35DE aftermarket

non revup vs revup covers

Rev-up

Non-Rev up
Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 PM
thedoc092

Not to revive this topic or anything, but i just joined this forum today and was poking around this topic...that topic being the rev up vs non rev up. I currently own a 2003 350Z 6MT which im selling due to a rear end collision that isnt worth the money to fix it. So instead im going to buy another one. Im removing the Vortech Supercharger from my 03 which i know isnt a Rev up engine so i can reinstall on another Z. I know Vortech made different kits for the Rev up, so my question is this, which years and models would my current Vortech kit be able to be installed on? Thanks guys. Doug
Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Ceedagr81

Originally Posted by thedoc092
Not to revive this topic or anything, but i just joined this forum today and was poking around this topic...that topic being the rev up vs non rev up. I currently own a 2003 350Z 6MT which im selling due to a rear end collision that isnt worth the money to fix it. So instead im going to buy another one. Im removing the Vortech Supercharger from my 03 which i know isnt a Rev up engine so i can reinstall on another Z. I know Vortech made different kits for the Rev up, so my question is this, which years and models would my current Vortech kit be able to be installed on? Thanks guys. Doug
you got the non rev up 287 hp but you got equal tq
Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Ceedagr81

03-04 non rev , 05-07 is rev up , im open for correction also as i am learning too
Old 06-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Ceedagr81

I believe you can swap out to the rev up vortech supercharger bracket and maybe run your supercharger on a rev up motor too if you wanted
Old 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Camtana

Default RevUp

On wikipedia I read that 2006 models have the revup engine along with the 2005 35th anniversary models. I have an 06 5AT do I have a revup Motor?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

I believe your auto has the non rev-up.

Just check your tach:

Rev-up Motor has a higher redline (7000RPM)
Non-rev-up Motor has a lower redline (6600RPM)
Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Camtana
On wikipedia I read that 2006 models have the revup engine along with the 2005 35th anniversary models. I have an 06 5AT do I have a revup Motor?
the rev up motor has never been paired with the auto trans
Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread has so much bad information. Can we just lock it? Actually delete it.

Quick Reply: Rev up motor vs non rev up motor