Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Car dies out when starting after pop charger install

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember reading something that said the throttle body butterfly can be knocked off setting and need a reset. I think Motordyne had process to do it without any tools. Maybe the OP can search and find those instructions and give it a try.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 AM
drifter5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got back my Z from the shop after 2 weeks or so, it would start up and die. I thought it was my MAF at first but I've tried my friends and the same thing happens. Turns out that Nissan had a procedure to relearn idle. I did the procedure, and it never happened again, starts up fine every time.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drifter5
When I got back my Z from the shop after 2 weeks or so, it would start up and die. I thought it was my MAF at first but I've tried my friends and the same thing happens. Turns out that Nissan had a procedure to relearn idle. I did the procedure, and it never happened again, starts up fine every time.
Mabye some one has the Motordyne printout that comes with the spacers, they have instructions on the relearn we where talking about. Or OP can call Motordyne and ask for a fax/email.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure you have to do these in the order listed. I did this shorly after getting my 350z recently. Like others have said the idle relearn may be your issue, but you need to do in the order listed (from what I'm told)

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.
Operations Procedures
1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

* Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure.

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

* Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

* Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)

It's best to time with a watch/clock.
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM
mango salsa

Originally Posted by drifter5

Are you talking about the pedal dance procedure in the previous post?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 AM
mango salsa

Got an update for you guys. The problem is now gone! I didn't do anything to the car either, no reset procedure nothing. A few days ago, it started to start on its own with out giving it gas, although it would dip down pretty low on the rpms, but it would stay on.

And yesterday I changed my oil since first purchasing this car used (a few weeks old now), and now the car starts perfectly. No low rpm drop or anything. Car feels perfect now. After draining the oil however, I did notice that the car was pretty low on oil. Good thing I changed it because somehow after changing the oil, my problem is now solved. Not sure if the ecu "relearned" on its own, or whatever the case may be, but all is good now.