Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Can I reset the ECU and pass emissions with a CEL on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
cipher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I reset the ECU and pass emissions with a CEL on?

Ok so I have test pipes on my car with an exhaust. Need to do emissions like this week, so after reading a bunch of threads on emissions, i know each state is different....

but, if I reset my ecu (disconnecting the battery) this will clear my car of any lights. I can drive to the place which is 5 miles away and pass right??

only hesitation is, does the car save the previous data with the CEL on? If so ,then im screwed.

just need to know if this works.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 02:50 PM
djarno
Z

Unfortunately, the CEL will be saved in the ECU until the code is resolved. Even if the check engine light doesn't come on, the code is still there.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also the computer needs to go thru the readiness(cant remember exactly what its called) tests before it will let you pass the test and that takes at least 75-100 miles of driving.In maryland they will not pass you untill the computer has passed all these tests first....but i dont know how your state does it.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:36 AM
BrazenZ

If only it were that easy! and by the way most states have a visual inspection for cats even if you pass OBDII check.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Most states that do ODB checks know all the tricks. The ECU must be in a "ready" state to pass, that occurs after a normal "drive cycle" following an ECU reset. A drive cycle usually takes a week or so to accomplish by itself. Of course, once you start driving around, the CEL will be back on from the TP. Re-install your cats, drive it for a week then take it in.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have test pipes and im supercharged and dont have a check engine light or anything, theres no reason u should have lights on ur dash..what test pipes do u have? get ones with defoulers or put defoulers on the ones u have...u will need to clear the ecu by driving about 150 miles after the light is out on the dash..

i have berk test pipes and have never had a light on, as far as a visual inspection i dont have to worry about theres ways around that with knowing people..but i still have to pass the obd test and i cant stand if a car has the cel on it drives me nuts so i make sure it will never happen

Last edited by tylerxfire; 12-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

After an ECU reset previous CEL codes are GONE - there is no permanent memory of them. You can pass OBD with a car that throws a code by driving the pattern to set the sensor to ready on the first drive cycle following an ECU reset (follow the pattern in the FSM exactly to set all sensors to "ready"). You can check readiness with most good OBDII readers (not Cipher unfortunately ). Then turn the car off. Then drive to go get tested without turning the car off again. The technician must drive the car in to be tested, turn car off, restart, plug in OBD cable, and you will pass (you will have a pending code but no CEL and you will pass).

Cheers.

PS. Your persistent CEL light will come on by the 4th drive cycle, but you should have passed by then.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-10-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by rcdash
After an ECU reset previous CEL codes are GONE - there is no permanent memory of them. You can pass OBD with a car that throws a code by driving the pattern to set the sensor to ready on the first drive cycle following an ECU reset (follow the pattern in the FSM exactly to set all sensors to "ready"). You can check readiness with most good OBDII readers (not Cipher unfortunately ). Then turn the car off. Then drive to go get tested without turning the car off again. The technician must drive the car in to be tested, turn car off, restart, plug in OBD cable, and you will pass (you will have a pending code but no CEL and you will pass).

Cheers.

PS. Your persistent CEL light will come on by the 4th drive cycle, but you should have passed by then.

here in ny state just like im pretty sure everywhere else is that does this u will not pass the test if u just turn the light off and the code is still pending..u have to drive thru a complete cycle which is about 100-150 miles depending on the car without the light coming back on and then get tested

Last edited by tylerxfire; 12-10-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 AM
dhays

Originally Posted by cipher
Ok so I have test pipes on my car with an exhaust. Need to do emissions like this week, so after reading a bunch of threads on emissions, i know each state is different....

but, if I reset my ecu (disconnecting the battery) this will clear my car of any lights. I can drive to the place which is 5 miles away and pass right??

only hesitation is, does the car save the previous data with the CEL on? If so ,then im screwed.
Solution: Don't drive your car with in illegal configuration. Problem solved.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
Solution: Don't drive your car with in illegal configuration. Problem solved.
All i can say to you is blow us all who have made any mods to our cars.

Last edited by superchargedg; 12-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by superchargedg
All i can say to you is blow us all who have made any mods to our cars.
I'm trying, but so far I haven't seen the tiny spark of intelligence in your reply. I'll keep working on it.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any 06's that have passed using the non-fouler trick? I can't find anyone specifically that has.

edit
Nevermind, search just kicked back in with better results. Carry on.

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 12-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Also the computer needs to go thru the readiness(cant remember exactly what its called) tests before it will let you pass the test and that takes at least 75-100 miles of driving.In maryland they will not pass you untill the computer has passed all these tests first....but i dont know how your state does it.
Older thread, but I concurr with the above. Texas is the same way...
Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
here in ny state just like im pretty sure everywhere else is that does this u will not pass the test if u just turn the light off and the code is still pending..u have to drive thru a complete cycle which is about 100-150 miles depending on the car without the light coming back on and then get tested
I know. I described the process to do just that (get sensors to show "ready"). It's not 100-150 miles. You can do it in one drive cycle. I know because I've passed emissions twice with the mods in my sig. Read the FSM on "OBD Readiness". Some trial and error is required with your handy dandy OBD scanner, but anyone can pass emissions (though you may need cats for the visual).

Last edited by rcdash; 12-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.