Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Going Back to Stock Flywheel...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going Back to Stock Flywheel...

So I have read multiple times that the stock flywheel cannot be resurfaced because it is dual mass. I have an ACT streetlite and I can't stand the chatter anymore. Its loud, annoying, and embarrasing. I would like to put the stock one back in but I am concerned about not being able to resurface it. I have a Clutchmasters FX300 clutch that I installed with the ACT flywheel about 1,500 miles ago. The stock flywheel has about 38,000 miles on it. I don't want to toast my new clutch by re-installing the worn flywheel. An new stock flywheel is about $800.

I also read something about using Redline Lightweight Shockproof transmission oil to dampen the noise as another alternative, but I am skeptical.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=8

Reccomendations?

Last edited by mx594; 03-26-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much does the ACT fly weigh? The lighter you go, the more chatter you'll get. Maybe try going with a heavier solid flywheel. I know southbend DXD flywheels are only slightly lighter than stock (5 to 7 lbs lighter).
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 AM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No recommendations but good info for someone like me who hasn't gone to a lighter flywheel yet. I had no idea they were noisy enough to make you want to change back to stock.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
ramirj2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an ACT combo with the prolite which is lighter than the streetlite and to me is ok just a little bit when accelerating at low speeds around 2k but nothing that offset the increased response and parasitic loss.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blue350zed
No recommendations but good info for someone like me who hasn't gone to a lighter flywheel yet. I had no idea they were noisy enough to make you want to change back to stock.
my Z is loud, 3" inch exhaust with test pipes. a little chatter from the flywheel doesnt bother me. thats why you and i drive g37s for our daily. nice, comfy, quiet and we get our adrenaline rush from our Z's.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
mx594

It's the Streetlite version, it is heavier than the Prolite. Both are solid chromoly. I went with the Streetlite because I thought it would be quieter since it is heavier than most. I avoid 1500 rpm like the plauge with this setup. It sounds like a rattlesnake being shaken around in a tin can full of marbles. People must look at me and think something is terribly wrong with my car.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on the verge of doing the same thing then I found a semi solution, Heavy Gear oils. I'm using a 80w140 GLi-4 and it has made all the difference. I can only hear a very light chatter when the car has been running for a while at idle (not the embarassing type) and when lugging the motor below 1500 rpm (I shouldn't do this anyway).
Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Zazz93

Add Note: It is a little clunkier when cold but once the engine is at normal temps its fine. But make sure to not use GLi-5 fluids they have a modifer that attacks the syncros.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
my Z is loud, 3" inch exhaust with test pipes. a little chatter from the flywheel doesnt bother me. thats why you and i drive g37s for our daily. nice, comfy, quiet and we get our adrenaline rush from our Z's.
I wish! That's my wife's car! My daily's a Frontier. Sorry to bomb the thread!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

then go back to it.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mx594
So I have read multiple times that the stock flywheel cannot be resurfaced because it is dual mass. I have an ACT streetlite and I can't stand the chatter anymore. Its loud, annoying, and embarrasing. I would like to put the stock one back in but I am concerned about not being able to resurface it. I have a Clutchmasters FX300 clutch that I installed with the ACT flywheel about 1,500 miles ago. The stock flywheel has about 38,000 miles on it. I don't want to toast my new clutch by re-installing the worn flywheel. An new stock flywheel is about $800.

I also read something about using Redline Lightweight Shockproof transmission oil to dampen the noise as another alternative, but I am skeptical.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=8

Reccomendations?
I also have the ACT Streetlite flywheel (with ACT HDG6) that I chose over the Prolite due to its heavier weight (mainly for drag racing/streetability purposes with some benefits of lightened flywheel for other motorsports). I realize that many people have complained about how they experience chatter, but I just don't see what you guys are talking about.

As long as you drive in the appropriate gear for the speed, you shouldn't hear any chatter. And if you do, all you have to do is downshift to a lower gear. You shouldn't be putting around at under 2K rpm anyway (what's the point with lack of power and response, unless you're on a long slow cruise?), which is where the chatter occurs. Plus, the chatter isn't even all that bad unless you're still in gear under 2K rpm while giving it gas.

Also, even at idle, my chatter, although clearly audible, is not intrusive.

Anyway, as for the Redline oils, you're looking at the wrong ones. The ones you linked are for your diff (get the superlight), not your tranny. You want either the first, second, or a mix of both from this link (http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7), for a total of 4 qts for your tranny. Changing fluids won't get rid of your chatter, but it'll make everything else easier and smoother.

I've used the Redline fluids before for my fluid changes and I have nothing but good things to say about them, although I'm currently trying out Torcos.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Sponge

^^^ WOW!!! Over a billion posted! NICE!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm confused about the term "chatter". What I recall from long ago is chatter being a rapid grab-slip-grab-slip... that shakes the drive train and sometimes the whole car.

In the days of direct mechanical linkage, it was usually caused (or at least aggravated) by weak engine/transmission mounts that let the drive train move forward and aft as the clutch was being engaged. The weight of the flywheel wouldn't make much difference there, but the surface finish on the contact surface and the clutch material certainly would.

I've never seen that sort of chatter on a car using hydraulic cylinders for the clutch operation.

Some of the comments here make me think you're talking about something different. For example:
"As long as you drive in the appropriate gear for the speed, you shouldn't hear any chatter. And if you do, all you have to do is downshift to a lower gear. You shouldn't be putting around at under 2K rpm anyway (what's the point with lack of power and response, unless you're on a long slow cruise?), which is where the chatter occurs. Plus, the chatter isn't even all that bad unless you're still in gear under 2K rpm while giving it gas."

That makes it sound like it occurs after the clutch is fully engaged and your foot is off the pedal. The weight of the flywheel and the type springs used in the clutch disc would be important in that case.

Can you link to a video of the type chatter you're talking about?

Last edited by winchman; 03-27-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Zazz93

I'll try and post one later, but all Z's (Z33) make the chatter its just the OEM dual mass flywheels masks it better. I think the "Chatter" or noise we are speaking of orginates from the main shaft and tranny not the actual clutch or flywheel. If you've ever turn the tranny's input shaft by hand you can get an idea of why it makes the noise.

Its true you shoudn't putt around at ultra low rpms but in 2nd gear at 5-10 mph the light flywheels makes the most noise. This isn't a particular point where you're looking for a lot of power and the engine makes plenty to do the job but the tranny and flywheel contest by making the noise.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by winchman
I'm confused about the term "chatter". What I recall from long ago is chatter being a rapid grab-slip-grab-slip... that shakes the drive train and sometimes the whole car.

In the days of direct mechanical linkage, it was usually caused (or at least aggravated) by weak engine/transmission mounts that let the drive train move forward and aft as the clutch was being engaged. The weight of the flywheel wouldn't make much difference there, but the surface finish on the contact surface and the clutch material certainly would.

I've never seen that sort of chatter on a car using hydraulic cylinders for the clutch operation.

Some of the comments here make me think you're talking about something different. For example:
"As long as you drive in the appropriate gear for the speed, you shouldn't hear any chatter. And if you do, all you have to do is downshift to a lower gear. You shouldn't be putting around at under 2K rpm anyway (what's the point with lack of power and response, unless you're on a long slow cruise?), which is where the chatter occurs. Plus, the chatter isn't even all that bad unless you're still in gear under 2K rpm while giving it gas."

That makes it sound like it occurs after the clutch is fully engaged and your foot is off the pedal. The weight of the flywheel and the type springs used in the clutch disc would be important in that case.

Can you link to a video of the type chatter you're talking about?
If you're referring to me, the "chatter" I meant was the sound that people complain about, not the grab-slip-grab-slip thing. You can hear it just idling or at lower RPMs. So, the sound is there to begin with from the factory. That repetitive, tapping sound is what people are talking about when they refer to "chatter."

Originally Posted by Zazz93
I'll try and post one later, but all Z's (Z33) make the chatter its just the OEM dual mass flywheels masks it better. I think the "Chatter" or noise we are speaking of orginates from the main shaft and tranny not the actual clutch or flywheel. If you've ever turn the tranny's input shaft by hand you can get an idea of why it makes the noise.

Its true you shoudn't putt around at ultra low rpms but in 2nd gear at 5-10 mph the light flywheels makes the most noise. This isn't a particular point where you're looking for a lot of power and the engine makes plenty to do the job but the tranny and flywheel contest by making the noise.
I drive in 2nd gear at those speeds, too, but I still don't experience this overwhelming chatter people are talking about. Like I said, don't give it too much gas (especially for higher gears at low revs) and you shouldn't hear any ridiculous chatter (just the normal amount). And if you're giving it that much gas to warrant such cacophony, why not just stay in 1st to avoid the "chatter range?"

Honestly, it sounds like people are being a bit too sensitive and are expecting some Honda transmission or something.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

from what i have been told ...chatter is ur clutch not flywheel bud..... almost all aftermarket clutches have chatter....JWT might be a better way to go for u .....turn ur music up a lil louder i should make a vid on how my triple disc sounds and then maybe people wont mind how theres is?!

Last edited by eltness350; 03-27-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by eltness350
from what i have been told ...chatter is ur clutch not flywheel bud..... almost all aftermarket clutches have chatter....JWT might be a better way to go for u .....turn ur music up a lil louder i should make a vid on how my triple disc sounds and then maybe people wont mind how theres is?!
True indeed, I think I have lost 45% of my hearing because of my car/ being a drill sergeant.. I cant hear chatter any longer..
Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
mx594

Just to clarify, it's not the grab-slip-grab phenomenon that is commonly referred to as clutch "chatter". Chatter as it is being described here is just an attempt to describe the noise. I will call it a "rattle" from now on to prevent confusion.

The rattle I am referring to is without a doubt caused by the lightweight flywheel. While the actual source of the rattle is probably in the gears of the transmission, it is a result of the change in the dampening characteristics of the flywheel caused by switching from the stock dual-mass unit to a one piece flywheel.

The rattle is very loud any time I apply throttle below 1500 rpm. For example, if I am cruising through my neighborhood in 3rd and I go around a corner and let the rpm's fall below 1500, I will experience very loud rattle with even light throttle application after exiting the corner. Yes I understand I can downshift for this, but if it weren't for the flywheel rattle I wouldn't - the car has plenty of torque to take the turn without downshifting and it's not like I am going to accelerate hard out of a turn in my neighborhood anyway. I also get a quick bit of rattle when taking off in 1st. At idle it's not very noticeable, but it definitely rattles more than stock.

Some people are just more critical when it comes to the way their car looks, drives, and sounds. For me, the benefits of the flywheel don't outweigh the annoyance. I think it's silly to put so much time and money into something only to have it sound like a cement mixer.

I also have a relatively quiet exhaust, so that may contribute to the apparent severity of the rattle. I can make a video clip of the sound, but right now I am midway through a brake job and an exhaust modification so the car is sitting on the lift with no wheels!

Last edited by mx594; 03-28-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
mx594

And my original intention in posting this was to solicit opinions on whether or not I should re-install the stock flywheel without resurfacing it and risk damaging my basically new clutch or if there were other alternatives. I guess I don't have much of a choice, unless I can pick up a stock flywheel cheaply from someone that has very low miles on it. I am definitely not going to buy a new stock flywheel for $800!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Well, I'm sure we all understand and realize that every one of us have different tastes. If you wish to go back to the stock flywheel due to the excessive chatter/rattle, then you should (especially since you clearly stated that the cons > pros).

And +1 on the lack dampening characteristics of the lighter flywheels.

Quick Reply: Going Back to Stock Flywheel...