Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 02:51 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Turcoupe
150 shot of nitrous.
You have not defined the use of why you want hp. Is it for track, street racing, or what?

Turcoupe is 100% right if you just want to blow past a LS1 on a straightand need hp for short blasts, Nitrous is the bang for buc king.

If your questions was more define, you would get a more defined answer I believe.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:54 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none the less, regaurdless, best not run 150 shot heh or your next question will be where to buy a new engine.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:55 PM
UnderPressure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Turcoupe
150 shot of nitrous.
I agree.

Single nozzle NX kit including installation from a reputable shop should be right around the $1k range.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:01 PM
fluidz

Default play it safe

Originally posted by ares
none the less, regaurdless, best not run 150 shot heh or your next question will be where to buy a new engine.

play it safe and spend 850.00 for a zex kit.................includes purge, reg, blow down, bottle and 65hp hit...................my car runs awesome and no detonation at all, a/f us great and plugs are perfect..................thats safe and the way to run a 13.241 really cheap and quick...........65hp hit of NOS is very safe if done correctly.
Attached Thumbnails Best Bang For The Buck?-350z.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 03:52 PM
vincenzobar

k&N filter stock replica 44 bux 5-7 hp gain just make sure you wipe off some of the oil before install.

44 bux!!! said it again, yes i did!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:23 PM
F2dmfine

First of all I would like to say that this is a great website. For the most part people (most) seem to know what they're talking about and give some good advice. As for zland, When I say I want more hp I should have said reliable everyday driving hp. I am not looking to drag race it. I would like to slowly build it up to be faster but more importantly, since it is my everyday car I am interested in reliability. So far I am leaning towards the Plenum, as for nitrous, I can't take the risk of blowing my engine since I don't have the money for a new one. I know there are some pretty good and effective nitrous setups that with a low hp shot would probably run safe and effective, but for now I still wouldn't want to risk it.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by F2dmfine
First of all I would like to say that this is a great website. For the most part people (most) seem to know what they're talking about and give some good advice. As for zland, When I say I want more hp I should have said reliable everyday driving hp. I am not looking to drag race it. I would like to slowly build it up to be faster but more importantly, since it is my everyday car I am interested in reliability. So far I am leaning towards the Plenum, as for nitrous, I can't take the risk of blowing my engine since I don't have the money for a new one. I know there are some pretty good and effective nitrous setups that with a low hp shot would probably run safe and effective, but for now I still wouldn't want to risk it.
your in florida. get rid of your cats with some high flow's.

Anything you do intake wize (plenum / cai) will not open up power as much when they are plugged up by your stock cats.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM
roark

Originally posted by ares
I beleive it is "illegal" to replace any cat that has less than 50,000miles(no clue why) so Im not so sure cats can be swapped and stay warrentied. but perhaps jason would know better since he's the one that does the warrenty stuff.
The rare metals(Catalysts) in cats lose their efficiency with use. After 50,000 miles they become noticably less effective at converting the CFCs in the exhaust gas flow.

Last edited by roark; 11-24-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I hit a "rock" in the road and it crushed my Y-pipe and cracked my Catalytic Converter and Header.
Attached Thumbnails Best Bang For The Buck?-dz11.jpg  
Old 11-24-2003, 11:15 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

F2dmfine:

whatever you do, pay attention to dynos. A lot of after market products make claims that are not accurate. Remember, combining several mods does not add up to the same hp. They effect each others hp gain. Good luck. Others seem to be doing a good job with the specifics. It is midnight, I am going to bed now, Jeff - zland
Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you pass CA emissions with a high flo Cat?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
Can you pass CA emissions with a high flo Cat?
Jeff's car with CAI / Headers / Camshafts / High FLow / Exhuast passed emissions close to what a stock Z would.

You do not have to worry about a sniffer test with the High Flow Cats.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:30 AM
F2dmfine

Hey zland, thanks for the advice you really seem to know what you're talking about. I was reading your posts on the info about the Dream Workes S/C. Those were some of the best posts I have read on one product. It is nice to know that people are as interested in getting all of the details on products like me. I am really interested in this S/C especially w/ the warranty option. I personally think that if it is being offered w/ warranty at 5lb boost, it will more than likely be able to safely run at 7lb. I will definitely be looking for updates on this. I was really impressed with the fact that Dream Workes didn't just dive into the market with this product like others. They actually want to release it when it is 100%.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:43 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Lets keep our fingers crossed their long R&D will pay off with a great product.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:38 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
I hit a "rock" in the road and it crushed my Y-pipe and cracked my Catalytic Converter and Header.
That must have been one heck of a rock!!! Sorry to hear about that. I have to ask, how did you not see a monster in the road that big? I have ideas running through my head and if they are true congrats
Old 11-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by zzzya
That must have been one heck of a rock!!! Sorry to hear about that. I have to ask, how did you not see a monster in the road that big? I have ideas running through my head and if they are true congrats
I really did hit a rock!

I was on the 15 in the middle of the night and I saw what looked like a paper bag sliding across the road... I couldnt swerve around it because there was another car and no shoulder... Figured what harm could a paper bag do... WACK, and it wasnt even that tall. You can tell by the impact point. Remember our car is low.

Thankfully it was before I got my nismo exhaust.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:09 PM
trpl

anybody install nismo intake ,i have a problem getting the car to start,it just keep dying out
Old 11-25-2003, 05:11 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Thankfully it was before I got my nismo exhaust.
that is exactly what I was thinking.

Questions -
I have the intake, the borla true dual, and the pulleys. i am not ready to open up the engine for cams or anything to void the warranty so High Flow Cats are the next step?

and as you said they will pass the sniffer? what set of high flow cats do people think are best? How are they different from test pipes? Can you put them on from under with a floor jack?

Headers? lots of money and need to be professionally mounted, correct?

Thanks

Also, I like the plenum but I do not want to loose my strut bar. i do not like the design of their strut bar either.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:32 PM
xz350zx

Default plenum spacer

Originally Posted by all_bark
that is exactly what I was thinking.

Questions -
I have the intake, the borla true dual, and the pulleys. i am not ready to open up the engine for cams or anything to void the warranty so High Flow Cats are the next step?

and as you said they will pass the sniffer? what set of high flow cats do people think are best? How are they different from test pipes? Can you put them on from under with a floor jack?

Headers? lots of money and need to be professionally mounted, correct?

Thanks

Also, I like the plenum but I do not want to loose my strut bar. i do not like the design of their strut bar either.
You don't really have to worry about losing your strut bar if you get a plenum spacer kit. Been looking at the Motordyne Plenum kit for my 03 DE and lots of people have posted results from dyno's netting 10+hp minimum for DE's. Heard the Revups need an alternative spacer kit that includes the lower plenum, i believe it's called Mrev2. 5/16 spacers even still have enough clearance to leave your engine cover on. (if you like that sort of thing)
Old 09-28-2014, 03:15 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by xz350zx
You don't really have to worry about losing your strut bar if you get a plenum spacer kit. Been looking at the Motordyne Plenum kit for my 03 DE and lots of people have posted results from dyno's netting 10+hp minimum for DE's. Heard the Revups need an alternative spacer kit that includes the lower plenum, i believe it's called Mrev2. 5/16 spacers even still have enough clearance to leave your engine cover on. (if you like that sort of thing)
He posted that question 11 years ago

Quick Reply: Best Bang For The Buck?