Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:45 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by damen
man how do you sit there and right all of that?
Good question! Actually, a fellow member here named "aki" happen to ask me some questions in a pm regarding which modifications I would reccommend and in what order.

At first, I started to answer them in a pm. Then, I realized this was a complex question and the first thing I need to consider before answering it was what is his goal in modifying his car? That question lead to me realizing many new 350Z owners go through the same process of reading hundreds of posts trying to put all of these details together into something useful for them to use towards their own needs. That then became the motivation for this long thread.

I began writing it this morning, stopped and started it as I was doing my other work, added sections as I thought of them, and over 12 hours later, it is what you see posted for better or worse. I know I am missing important things to consider, I just can think of them right now.

I feel we all should share information and that is the higher purpose of this site. If one thing I posted helps one guy, it was worth it. I guess the teacher in me is coming out. That is why I get sucked into staying after school and working for free helping kids for hours. Drunks drink, a teacher tries to share what he has learned himself.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-17-2003, 09:55 PM
neur0sis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff Jeff! Can we sticky/FAQ this, Mods?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 PM
longbowe

Yeah, sticky this!! I have no budget right now, and might not ever, but this article is priceless simply in terms of guiding us in a disciplined process of thinking about our beloved cars.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by neur0sis
Good stuff Jeff! Can we sticky/FAQ this, Mods?
Anything that would help others, then lets do it. That is a concern of mine, a new guy that reads this post this week benefit from this thread but 2 months from now, a guy joins the site and is back to reading thread after thread without seeing the bigger picture until maybe after making some unwise choices in mod selections.

This thread is not an answer to all questions, just a cheat sheet that primes new members for understanding all the details in other posts IMHO.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-17-2003, 10:11 PM
all_bark

Nice job, very well written.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME job!!! I printed this out for my customers at the Parts Counter. I don't think I've ever seen anything that sums it all up better!!!
The following users liked this post:
zland (01-09-2024)
Old 11-18-2003, 05:22 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Thank you for the big compliment Jeff. Coming from someone in the business, I am flattered.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-18-2003, 05:24 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very good read, especially for those that are new to modding cars
Old 11-18-2003, 07:47 AM
BLOBYU

The other type of SC is the root. The only current root SC available is made by Stillen. Dream Workes (DW) is scheduled to release a root type SC in January of 2004. The root blower is position on top of the motor as compared to the centrifugal SC that is located off to the side of the motor. The Stillen SC sets so high on top of the motor that to install it, the strut brace has to be removed reducing handling and the hood has to be cut out and a scoop added or an entire hood has to be installed. The soon to be released DW SC is designed to use the stock hood and maintain the strut. Both of these root type SC have full boost at low to high rpm thus more low end grunt. These SC kits tend to put out less peak hp by approximately 20-30hp but advocates of the root type blower will say that the root SC provides you with more power where you need it rather than a little more hp right before you shift. The Stillen SC will provide you with an engine warranty if you do not boost it over 5.5 psi but then you will be putting out approximately the same hp as a built NA motor. DW plans on offering their SC with 400 crank hp (approximately 330 rwhp) with a full drive train warranty and be the first to offer CARB legal installation which means that owners in California can pass smog with their SC Z’s. In addition, they plan on having upgrades to further increase hp but the warranty will be voided.

WHY DOESN'T THE G35 COME WITH A STRUT TOWER BRACE?? IT HANDELS VERY WELL...
Old 11-18-2003, 07:55 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

BLOBYU :

1. See the pic attached, there is no room for the brace.

2. If you want to attach part of a quote, simply click the quote buttom below the post, you dont need to copy and paste it.

I hope this helps, Jeff zland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sc1.jpg (34.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-18-2003, 08:11 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great summary zland! Thanks!

However I think the absolute #1 "mod" to your car should be.... Yourself! If you're gonna spend money go take a high performance driving course. Why spend $200 on an CAI or $1000 on an exhaust for some perceived speed benefit? When you can spend $200~$300 on yourself and gain a real benefit, learning how to drive you car fast and safely! And the best thing about this mod is that it doesn't depreciate and you can take it with you to your next car!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:29 AM
onehappydog

--- great help to newbies like myself Thank You!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:49 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Great job zland.......very good stuff.......it takes a lot of dedication to write something like that for people that you've never met............as a person that's modded his Z, there's only a couple of points i can think of.

a) The only mod i would say thats absolutely necessary on this car is a different flywheel........$1200 for a stock flywheel that can only be used for one clutch is just ridiculous........just make sure the flywheel you get is practical for your needs, as some are made more for racing than for street applications.

b) Don't buy the ATI S/C unless you plan on spending a lot of money on it, engineering their product for them. Please refer to other posts for an explanation of this.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:52 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Great job zland. Well thought out. Excellent post.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:21 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
Great summary zland! Thanks!

However I think the absolute #1 "mod" to your car should be.... Yourself! If you're gonna spend money go take a high performance driving course. Why spend $200 on an CAI or $1000 on an exhaust for some perceived speed benefit? When you can spend $200~$300 on yourself and gain a real benefit, learning how to drive you car fast and safely! And the best thing about this mod is that it doesn't depreciate and you can take it with you to your next car!
I agree 100%. Those that have not tracked their car know little about what it is capable of doing. Why take anyones elses word on how well your car handles, brakes etc when you can push it to its limits and see for yourself if you need to upgrade.

I thought I needed NISMO suspension but after tracking my Z, those springs and sway bar I added give me all the handling upgrades I needed.

BTW, a group of us are going to track our 350z's, no experienced needed to do it. The event is in so. calif. If interested, go to this thread and we can get you involved, just post your desire to want to do it. Your stock 350Z is more than enough car to be on the track, no mods needed for this event. Just have fun and learn the potiential of your car. You have plenty of time to plan ahead, it is on March 5th, 2004. Experienced drivers will be there to drive with you to teach you how to do it. Here is the thread......

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=track+your+Z

Jeff - zland
Old 11-18-2003, 09:58 AM
drew703

Jeff-

Thank you for the great post! I definitely printed it out for safe keeping as well, because I'm still in the very early stages of modifying my baby. Unfortunately for me, any expense over $1000 is going to have to be made in 2-3 parts, simply because I'm only 20 and am still working on building up credit and going to school full time plus working part time = busy!

I'm glad you took time out to write that all up, it really will help probably more people than will say something or thank you. And although I've been on this forum a few months now, I know it can be tough to sort through the thousands and thousands of posts to find out the exact thing you need. But your post will definitely be invaluable for those just beginning, even those experiences with the Z and modding, but just needed something cleared up.

thanks again and goodluck with your baby

-drew
Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Nano

Wow! Very nice reading... :thumbsup:
Old 11-18-2003, 10:53 AM
LBSOHK

great read - thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 12:30 PM
jedoublery

Great post. Man, you have too much time.....good for us though.

Question about suspension.
putting on S-tune strut and springs will drop the car by 3/4", but would it further off set the camber in the rear? It seems like my stock 17" rear has already a bad enough negative camber.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 PM
ypwpat

Is the 3M clear bra is different to the Clear Bra that you mention?

Quick Reply: New 350Z owners, read this before doing any modifications to your Z.