Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think the operation changes at all, just the setup portion. And if you're already setup, then perfect

It's like having electric seats, and being the only driver, once it's setup, you'd never know nor care that you had electric or not.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
damn, I got last year's version last year. Oh well, it's way too much work to do over again. I like the results from my as well
ksuberk54 That is exactly why the new V3 has so many improvements focused around making it much easier and straight forward to install
During product testing I had the factory pedal unit out of the car consistently within 10mins of starting and the new one installed ready for test&tune in another 20. Being able to slap the bracket onto the firewall with the center section wide open means you can run the 2 nuts all the way down by finger, start the upper bolt and then tighten the 3 down almost as fast as I can type it. Spin the fork onto the clutch rod, slip the arm into the main bracket, push the main pin thru & insert clip, push the clevis pin thru the fork into the arm and insert clip. Level the clutch rod angle and tighten 2 bolts to lock it there. Plug the 2 switches back in and you're ready to begin tuning.
To say the new install guide will be much shorter & a less daunting task then before is an understatement!

F2CMaDMaXX is spot on with his analogy of power seats. If you already have a previous version installed and tuned how you like it then a new easier to install version won't make it feel any better. The core and essence of what makes the RJM Pedal do its magic hasn't changed any. Tune for Tune you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between V1, V2 or V3 except for the new return spring which if everything’s properly adjusted and the rest of the hydraulic system is operating correctly shouldn't really come into play.

As well anyone with a previous V2 shouldn't have any hesitation to install it or continue running it as this thread has run for 22pages and almost 2 years now with positive V1 & V2 customer reviews and experiences... The V3 is simply the next chapter in the RJM Pedal's evolution.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
balaguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about adding power assist like this guy: http://home.comcast.net/~parapantera...98797e39c775ff

Then you'd be able to adjust travel distance and force independently.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by balaguru
How about adding power assist like this guy: http://home.comcast.net/~parapantera...98797e39c775ff

Then you'd be able to adjust travel distance and force independently.
Good find and interesting project but with the way the 350Z engine bay is packaged there is no way you'd ever fit a mastercylinder and power booster combination in the space available on the firewall. From the link it looks like the booster assembly and Aux electric vacume pump were installed in the open front storage area of a rear engine Pantera giving him a lot more room to mount everything.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM
balaguru

Plumb a remote power brake booster into the hydraulic clutch line. I was toying around with the idea a few years ago but since I run a stock clutch never really pursued it very far. There are electric options too. See http://abspowerbrake.com/index.html
Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 AM
goracerx

How are you guys able to complete this? Who wrote 10 min to remove? ...did you remove the seat or you had a Nascar pit crew?
1. How were you able to get the rod threaded in to the fork?
2. Was the bolt that goes strait up extremely tight because it feels like i'm going to strip it?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Just a heads up for everyone the new Rev 3 complete pedal assemlies have been steadily maturing as all the new product quirks got worked out. The updated Rev 3.2 is now available with further refinements made after listening to all the customer feedback on these new units. Anyone with a previous version of the RJM pedal that would like to upgrade to the new V3 complete replacement pedal assembly can contact me via PM or Email for a special upgrade offer.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Last edited by RJM Performance; 08-31-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Still haven't fitted my 3.0 yet Very sad, can't get in the garage at the new house and so much house work to do
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Dynosty ordered and installed mine this past Spring (around March 2013). I am just now getting around to adjusting it to my preferences. How do I know which version I have (so I follow the correct guide)? Thank you!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rcdash
Dynosty ordered and installed mine this past Spring (around March 2013). I am just now getting around to adjusting it to my preferences. How do I know which version I have (so I follow the correct guide)? Thank you!
rcdash, you'll have the Rev2.2 clutch bracket set as the V3 complete replacement assemblies weren't released until late June. Shoot me an email and I'll send you the correct install guide in PDF.

Thanks,
Ryan@RJM
Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
funmoneypit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, happy I found this thread and pissed I found it.

We just bought our '05 Z Roadster a little over two weeks ago. I have hated the clutch since I bought it. I thought it might be me, maybe the clutch was going out (only 42k miles though and a easy driving original owner) or whatever, I didn't know. I have driven manuals all the way from 1964 models to 2012 Mustang GT 6mt and I have never had any issues with any of them. Sure they feel different to each but none of the problems like I have with the Z.

So I am happy to see that it isn't me and it is something that can be at least made better.

I am pissed I found it because now I have to buy it (Ok, I am not that pissed ). I just forked out over $1000 on new DBA rotors, Hawk pads, car cover, some vinyl to wrap some interior stuff, and some other small stuff. Told the wife I am done for a while as we will store it in a month or so. Now I have to buy this. No one tell my wife OK?

I will be looking forward to getting this and installing it. Hope it brings back the pleasure of a manual that I am not fully enjoying right now.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by funmoneypit
Ok, happy I found this thread and pissed I found it.

We just bought our '05 Z Roadster a little over two weeks ago. I have hated the clutch since I bought it. I thought it might be me, maybe the clutch was going out (only 42k miles though and a easy driving original owner) or whatever, I didn't know. I have driven manuals all the way from 1964 models to 2012 Mustang GT 6mt and I have never had any issues with any of them. Sure they feel different to each but none of the problems like I have with the Z.

So I am happy to see that it isn't me and it is something that can be at least made better.

I am pissed I found it because now I have to buy it (Ok, I am not that pissed ). I just forked out over $1000 on new DBA rotors, Hawk pads, car cover, some vinyl to wrap some interior stuff, and some other small stuff. Told the wife I am done for a while as we will store it in a month or so. Now I have to buy this. No one tell my wife OK?

I will be looking forward to getting this and installing it. Hope it brings back the pleasure of a manual that I am not fully enjoying right now.
Funmoneypit, Order received I know exactly what you mean as I've had the opportunity to drive many different manual vehicles over the years as well and none had ever made me look as bad or been less enjoyable to drive daily than my 06' G35 that started all this Look for an email shortly.

Thanks
Ryan@RJM
Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 PM
funmoneypit

Originally Posted by RJM Performance
Funmoneypit, Order received I know exactly what you mean as I've had the opportunity to drive many different manual vehicles over the years as well and none had ever made me look as bad or been less enjoyable to drive daily than my 06' G35 that started all this Look for an email shortly.

Thanks
Ryan@RJM
Great, thanks Ryan. I look forward to receiving this and getting it on before we store the car for the winter.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:40 PM
flynzed

Ryan worked with me on getting REV. 3.1 setup properly on my 04 ZR. I have to tell you, it is difficult for me to park my roadster. Whenever I took the car out before the install of the RJM clutch assembly I would hesitate if I thought I was going to run into traffic, not any more. I set the weight, height, and engagement point to my preferences and every once in a while I may make a slight adjustment, however, over the last few weeks I have not found the need to make and changes. I went from thinking I made a mistake buying the Z with a manual transmission to loving every minute driving the car. Thanks again Ryan

Last edited by flynzed; 09-22-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Replacement part received, thanks Ryan, i'm hoping very soon for the install!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM
djinferno

Just ordered mine yesterday, if anyone in the Ottawa area wants to have an install party and help put this in and try it out, let me know...
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by mx594
abarclay -

Look at post 233 and 234. I had the same issue and following Ryan's recommendations improved (but did not eliminate) it. I still sometimes pull up on the pedal with my toe and notice that the engagement point changes by doing so. In fact I just stopped typing and went in the garage and looked - there is about 3/16" of space between the white bumper on the pedal arm and the body of the cruise control switch. I just got home from a ~1 hour drive so its definitely warmed up and the switch is definitely not holding it down. After pulling up on the pedal, the gap closed to about 1/16" and stayed there even after depressing the pedal a few times. Even then, that 1/16" results in a small amount of "floppy" movement at the top of the pedal travel, which is something that I have never felt in another car. Its different than the "free play" normally associated with clutch pedals - its slop. Every other clutch pedal I have felt comes all the way to the top and rests against a stop of some kind, such that there is always some small amount of preload present in the pedal and it always stops in the same place.

I am not convinced that the spring in the master cylinder is enough on its own to return the pedal FULLY to the top of the travel and expose the fluid recovery port every time, which is something that is guaranteed to happen with the helper spring in the stock pedal assembly.

I love the feel of the RJM pedal, but the sloppiness at the top of the travel and the fact that I can change the engagement point instantly by pulling up on the pedal once in a while have me wondering. I have noticed that I started a ritual of pulling up on the pedal with my toe first thing when I get in the car before trying to start it to "reset" the clutch so to speak. I had zero issues before I installed the bracket, so I don't think its related to my slave cylinder or master cylinder, although I cannot say for sure.
I posted this a year ago, funny to see that the new Rev 3 design has a torsion spring added to it....
Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 PM
z33enthusiast

Just ordered, very eager to see the results! Hope it makes the car sluggish feel go away.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Placed an order for the Rev 3.3. Pretty stoked for the results. My Z's clutch feel is very odd compared to the handful of other manual transmission cars I have driven. I believe the oddness is a result of the extra short engagement window. Will be back with a review once I get it installed.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Got it installed. It took me 3 or so hours and it was a PITA because of the ridiculous position you have to be in to work under the dash. However, the instructions are excellent. Ryan provides a 40+ step illustrated PDF that explains exactly what must be done to get this thing installed properly.

Feel aside (which is very subjective) Nissan's design for the clutch pedal assembly is just strange. It resembles a compound bow in the fact that it is NOT linear. The assembly that Ryan has designed is linear and adjustable in numerous ways.

I have made minor adjustments from the recommended starting point in the instructions but I have taken it for a test drive and I am extremely satisfied. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who gets irritated by their clutch for the reasons listed on Ryan's website.

Thank you, Ryan, for this exceptional product.

Quick Reply: Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket