Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys at Z1 Motorsports, Jon@z1 and Rob@z1, drove the car yesterday with the RJM AFP bracket installed and were quite amazed. Are you distributing to resellers yet? I put about 600 miles on the car yesterday and driving it was awesome!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Yes, I'd be willing to take on a few select distributers now that the product has matured a little and my production capacity has grown. I'm very happy to see you and the guys at Z1 Motorsports are impressed with the difference the AFP System makes over the stock setup

The 370Z and G37 versions will be coming out at the end of the month as well.

Last edited by RJM Performance; 03-04-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM
jruocco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Bought one days ago... Looking forward to installing it.
Joel, did you get it yet? Update with your review, thinking of picking one up.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
resident25

Installed mine this past Monday. It does exactly what says it does. My only gripe is that I didn't buy it sooner. It makes it a lot easier to shift and gives you more leeway to make mistakes without the horrible jerk that usually results. I kept it at the 75% that was recommended in the instructions and it works great for me. Definitely a great buy for anyone who wants an easier time shifting.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 AM
hyuk28719

Originally Posted by RJM Performance
Yes, I would be willing to take on a few select distributers now that the product has matured a little and my production capacity has grown. Also the 370Z and G37 versions will be coming out at the end of the month as well.
Ryan, I'm glad you built up good reputation and also to see your business expanding. Thanks for contributing to the Z/G community!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

resident25 congrats on the successful install! Very happy to hear your enjoying your new clutch feel

hyuk28719 thanks. I couldn't have done it without the great bunch of guys like yourself who had enough faith myself & my product to take part in the tester group buy in the early days of this adventure

I'm proud to be part of such a great community here at My350Z and look forward to continuing with more exciting new products and super customer service for years to come.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
PracticeDrifter

Excuse my n00bness, but a few things aren't clear to me.

1. Will this product help someone with a stock clutch? All the rave reviews seem to be from people with upgraded hard-to-drive clutches.

2. Everyone talks about adjust-ability as the key to both fast shifting and long smooth shifting. Would I adjust it one way for aggressive driving and then another for smooth, or is there a sweet spot that makes everything better?

3. I have the crappy 03 tranny that grinds 3rd and is harder to shift when cold. I have the stock clutch that either yanks or doesnt go at all. Should I try other things to improve my shifting experience before getting this? (can't afford a tranny swap just yet)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

#1 Yes this is 100% for everyone who drives a 6MT. I myself designed the product because I was sick of the factory clutch feel and my stock clutch is 100x better feeling now. The adjustability of the system allows it to be tuned for any clutch from stock to heavy singles to twin & triple disk setups.

#2 You pretty much set it and forget it. There is no need to go back and forth with changing setups. Better clutch control smooths out daily driving and makes you more consistant and easier when driving hard too. See Faiz23's review (another forum) where he's working with AcidJake (a Mod here) on his competitive drift car and just installed my product for testing last week.

#3 I would caution against doing this mod before getting your car fixed and sorting out your existing problems. My product makes amazing gains in clutch feel, control and smoothness but it can't fix a bad clutch or transmission with synchro issues.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You dont realize how much difference 3/16" is. LOL

I think I have like 7 or 8 threads showing now. Too bad teh car sit in the garage for weeks on end. Too little time to drive

Thanks again! Great customer service for sure!!

Since the AFP slider can't be disassembled easily I'll just send you another complete AFP Slider assembly with a longer fork. Will 3/16" Longer give you enough to work with?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Str8dum1 You're Welcome Hopefully as the weather improves this spring you'll be able to get out and enjoy your car a little more this year. Hope to see you at ZdayZ
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Rodizzle

Thanks Ryan,

I just installed the clutch bracket. Car feels amazing. I set it around 75 percent and to me it feels perfect. It's so much more pleasant to drive the car. The install is pretty straight foward. The only hard part is that you're working in such a small area. I've been driving only a few hours so I'm sure I'll fine tune it. I was an idiot and shorted something under my steering wheel and the car wouldn't start. The ignition switch fuse blew. So remember to disconnect the negative terminal haha. But great product. Well worth it.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Rodizzle, You're Very Welcome! I'm happy to hear your enjoying my clutch pedal kit. Sorry to hear you arc'd something under the dash, that's pretty crazy and it's the first time I've heard of anything like that. Good thing it was only a minor repair to replace the fuse.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks cool! Just ordered one.

One question to those with aggressive clutches -- will this reduce 'shuddering' when engaging from a standstill? I never had it with my stock clutch but both aftermarket clutches have had an annoying shudder.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

djamps. Thank you for your order.

I would let some of the guys running more agressive clutches answer this as well, but I've had multiple reports of it smoothing out the shudder on agressive clutches.

On my own car it's reduced it by about 90%. My factory clutch used to shudder and shake horribly when trying to slip it nicely off the line. After the mod its greatly reduced and the few times it does still shudder its barely noticable now.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

djamps. Thank you for your order.

I would let some of the guys running more agressive clutches answer this as well, but I've had multiple reports of it smoothing out the shudder on agressive clutches.

On my own car it's reduced it by about 90%. My factory clutch used to shudder and shake horribly when trying to slip it nicely off the line. After the mod its greatly reduced and the few times it does still shudder its barely noticable now.
Really considering one now. The hills around here are atrocious. What do you think about installing this WITH my auto to manual conversion? I noticed you recommended installing it after clutch issues were resolved... I'd think with a fresh install at the end of the day it wouldn't make too much of a difference (maybe in diagnosing any problems)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Resmarted, No I wouldn't have any worries installing the product along with a fresh clutch and/or transmission install. Even if you did run into problems to diagnose the A.F.P Slider can be set to the stock fulcrum point distance and will function exactly like the stock brackets except with the assist spring removed. Doing this is about a 10 min change once installed or could be done at the time of install and changed up later once everything else is proven.

I was just commenting that if you already know your clutch is toast or your synchro's are trashed and grinding gears then the product won't help make things better.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

Also as hyuk28719 noted in his review, hill starts are sooooo much easier with the product installed as the friction point is right there about 1" up. You can feather the clutch for a real nice roll out without needing gas to keep from stalling or rolling backwards and then just progressively roll into the throttle while getting off the clutch.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Default AFP Settings Explained

While I'm at it I get questions all the time about the A.F.P setting and how it works. Well in the simplest of terms the AFP setting is how much wider the engagement window is OVER Stock.

If you're at 0% AFP the slider is all the way down and the fulcrum length is equal to stock. Feels like the stock brackets with spring removed.

If you're at 50% AFP the slider is set right in the middle of it's travel and gives you about 50% wider engagement window over stock.

If you're at 75% AFP the slider is 3/4 of the way towards the top of its travel and gives about 75% wider engagement window over stock.

Above 80% it becomes hard to get full disengagement on a stock and aftermarket clutches. This area is only recomended for those with really short disengagement clutches. For example those that require a stop plate be installed to limit pedal travel. For people with these clutches running above 80% can restore a more normal pedal travel and eliminate the need for a stop plate.

"Engagement Window" I define as the total amount of pedal travel from just finding the friction point to the point where the clutch is fully engaged and no longer slipping. As the engagement window gets wider, the friction point gets lower towards the floor. This is due to the fully locked point always remaining fixed near the top of the pedal travel as with any hydraulic clutch system.

Hope that helps explain the AFP settings and the talk of engagement window a little better for those who haven't already had a chance to install the product and play with these settings a little.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

One of the best mods for the Z/G... stock or modified this is something that you need to pick up. I'm now running an ACT HDSS and ACT Street light flywheel... the addition of this bracket makes the clutch sooooooo much easier to manage. Great work Ryan!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by djamps
Looks cool! Just ordered one.

One question to those with aggressive clutches -- will this reduce 'shuddering' when engaging from a standstill? I never had it with my stock clutch but both aftermarket clutches have had an annoying shudder.
I have the OS Giken Twin Disk. It does greatly reduce shutter. I will admit that the clutch still has the point at which it lets go and that can be abrupt at times but since the clutch is SO MUCH EASIER to actuate, you become much more consistent. That it what was killing me before...the clutch was tough to actuate and I was so inconsistent when nearing the release point. You just never knew where that point was going to be exactly. And it is much easier to slip the clutch. You just don't realize how bad these heavy duty clutches are until you put this bracket in.

Does that make sense? Let me know if there are other questions. Mine is set at about 75%.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket