Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket

Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh crap, forgot to take a look, hmm, reminded.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read through entire thread.. Think I may be hopping on board soon.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone noticed some kind of 'binding' about half way? Almost feels like the pedal 'pops' a little about half way on the down stroke. It changes if I push the clutch down at different force angles (mostly left/right). I tried adjusting the position of the pedal to better line up the dowel pin but it didn't help any.

Another thing that happened was after the car sat for a couple weeks the pedal squeaked loudly the first couple of engagements the entire travel. After the first few presses the squeaking went away..

Last edited by djamps; 05-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

That would be your master cylinder...
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM
eman39

Just installed mine today! No binding here. Had some squeaking issues though. So, I PM'ed Ryan and he suggested that I put some grease on the clutch rod. It worked! Awesome product! The clutch pedal feel is oh so smooth and so are my 1-2 shifts!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Clutch rod, in car or out?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
eman39

in?
Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Then i assume you mean the end of the rod?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got around to installing this thing yesterday. It was a PITA! I recommend removing the drivers seat all together, but I was kinda lazy. The hardest part was spinning the clutch lever to thread into the AFP due to limited space (Step 10)... I think it might be easier if there was 2 nuts on there to lock the nut and spin the clutch lever with a wrench instead of pliers. There's plenty of space for one.

75% height was a bit high for my taste, so I need to go back and adjust it... Hopefully it won't be too difficult to do, but I have to say it was well worth the trouble. Engagement is smooth as butter, although it takes some time getting use to. Clutch burn was apparently during the test drive. I can finally roll out of first via clutch! Night and day difference in terms of smoothness. I would recommend 50-60% height. Anyways this is a must for daily drivers, highly recommended for anyone with a G or Z 6MT.

P.S. This is probably a product, you probably won't want to remove to reinstall the stock stuff back on. It's probably more or less too much trouble, and I've already forgotten the order of assembly! Sell the car with it installed and cut your losses!

Last edited by Voboy; 05-21-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
ksuberk54

Originally Posted by Voboy
Finally got around to installing this thing yesterday. It was a PITA! I recommend removing the drivers seat all together, but I was kinda lazy. The hardest part was spinning the clutch lever to thread into the AFP due to limited space (Step 10)... I think it might be easier if there was 2 nuts on there to lock the nut and spin the clutch lever with a wrench instead of pliers. There's plenty of space for one.

75% height was a bit high for my taste, so I need to go back and adjust it... Hopefully it won't be too difficult to do, but I have to say it was well worth the trouble. Engagement is smooth as butter, although it takes some time getting use to. Clutch burn was apparently during the test drive. I can finally roll out of first via clutch! Night and day difference in terms of smoothness. I would recommend 50-60% height. Anyways this is a must for daily drivers, highly recommended for anyone with a G or Z 6MT.

P.S. This is probably a product, you probably won't want to remove to reinstall the stock stuff back on. It's probably more or less too much trouble, and I've already forgotten the order of assembly! Sell the car with it installed and cut your losses!
Agree completely. It took me all day to do the install because the seat was in the way and honestly I had no idea what I was doing. I've never done anything more than change oil and change a battery. But as you stated, the difference is night and day. I also agree with you that the hardest part was getting the clutch rod to scree into the new bracket.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM
J.$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can finally roll out of first via clutch!

What do you mean with this statement? Sorry, I'm a n00b...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Voboy

U can get into first gear without giving any gas pedal input. All by clutch pedal, no stalling at all.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

U can get into first gear without giving any gas pedal input. All by clutch pedal, no stalling at all.
Er, if you couldn't do that with the stock pedal, you've got issues.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:59 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

After re-reading the comment several times, i think you mean, engage the clutch when 1st without using any throttle.

So yeah, again, i don't seem to have this problem, not sure what happens with other peoples cars :/
Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 AM
f150intally

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
After re-reading the comment several times, i think you mean, engage the clutch when 1st without using any throttle.

So yeah, again, i don't seem to have this problem, not sure what happens with other peoples cars :/
What clutch do you have? It was impossible with an OS GIKEN twin diskto not use the gas when engaging the clutch in first gear. Especially with the light-weight flywheel that comes with the OS GIKEN.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So are you guys putting grease on the actual plunger going thru the firewall into the master cylinder? I think that is where my squeek came from but not sure.

Also... the binding comes and goes, it's gone now. A few passes down the 1/4 took care of that LOL.

Last edited by djamps; 05-24-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM
ksuberk54

Before I say how the install went I just want to say this first: I have never done anything on a car other than change oil and change a battery and no one has ever showed me how to do anything.

Alright So I always thought my clutch assembly felt crappy and notchy and it felt like pulling a bandaid everytime I shifted 1-2. So I was just surfing this site a couple weeks ago on what do you hate most about your car and someone said the clutch and a guy replied with a link to this thread and a link to rjmperformance.com and I read it all 8 or 9 pages at 2 a.m. and decided to finally purchase it a week ago.

I made the order and quickly got a response from Ryan saying someone had just purchased the last one a few minutes before I ordered mine and it would be an extra day or so and i said that's fine because I'm super busy anyways and I appreciated the timely response.

Alright, so I got the bracket in a week ago, May 18, and decided to try to install it Sunday. My fiance had some thank you letters to send out as she had her graduation from college party a week ago and said I could come over and we could hang out after. The problem was, we didn't really end up hanging out lol. I told her, because this is what I read in this thread, that it should only take 2 hours.

So I started on the project around 230 and didn't have all the tools I needed so I made a quick run to my parents store to get more. Came back and got to I think page 4 before I was stuck. I had no idea what the switches were or where they were lol. I had my fiance's dad help me and I finally got the bracket out around 4ish and started to switch all the parts around. Stopped to eat dinner with her and her family around 5, finally got all the parts in and started to put the new bracket in around 7. The hardest part of all of this was 1) inserting the clutch rod into the afp slider and 2) the limited space. I would recommend anyone installing this in the future to remove the seat. It was a B**** trying to squeeze my 6'2 215 lb frame in there.

Finally around 10 p.m. after dropping screws everywhere and having my back ache I had it in and decided to take photos and send it to ryan to make sure it looked good. He emailed me back the next day and said it looked good so I tightened all the bolts, turned the clutch rod more into the slider and put the wires into the switches yesterday from 10am-11am. I ended up emailing ryan one more time to figure out how to lower the friction point and to make sure I was at 75%. I was and I adjusted it this morning.

I must say the difference is night and day. It feels so much better. If I had to compare the feel of the clutch to another I would say it feels like the 09-present lancers and evo's. Real forgiving and just easier. It's way smoother and going from 1-2 isn't a B*** anymore. I took some photos of the bracket and they are listed below.

I would strongly recommend anyone who has a stock clutch bracket to upgrade to this. It's 1,000x better.

Last edited by ksuberk54; 05-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by f150intally
What clutch do you have? It was impossible with an OS GIKEN twin diskto not use the gas when engaging the clutch in first gear. Especially with the light-weight flywheel that comes with the OS GIKEN.
I'm 99% certain it's going to be stock.

When i was under there changing the trans and diff oil, i noticed white pen stating oil and clutch about 10k miles previously, so i have to assume aftermarket OE.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 AM
f150intally

Well, that explains it then. Anyone should be able to roll out of first without accelerator on an OE clutch. But it is nearly impossible to do so on an aftermarket clutch, especially a twin disk design.

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
I'm 99% certain it's going to be stock.

When i was under there changing the trans and diff oil, i noticed white pen stating oil and clutch about 10k miles previously, so i have to assume aftermarket OE.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree'd

Although while its easily possible on a OE stock clutch its still less effort and night&day easier with the mod to roll out consistantly without needing to rev as you leave. This is epecially true when on a hill or slight incline.

I think the real difference people see is how much less effort they need to put into shifting and launching smoothly after the mod. After years of ownership I'd expect 99% of customers will have mastered driving our cars well.... It's just you don't realize how hard you're working for each smooth shift or launch until suddenly a mod comes along that makes it much easier.

As well maybe not all OE clutches are created equal as my G35 I picked up from a dealer with only 30k Miles on it and I have no indication or reason to beleive the clutch has ever been changed. My clutch previously bit extemely hard right at the friction point and was very on/off much like a Spec Stage 3+ clutch I had in a previous car. Before if I tried to roll off normally without gas my G35 would either shudder & shake like crazy, buck & jerk or stall outright. I could easily roll out in a parking lot without gas but it required carefull slipping to do so and never in heavy traffic.
Now its just one smooth motion of lifting the clutch pedal for a normal launch and I catch it with the gas to pull away just as the clutch locks and the 1-2 shift comes much faster while still being smoother.
No bucking, jerking, shuddering or stalling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review of RJM adjustable clutch pedal bracket