Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Z1 Torque Solutions Transmission Mount

Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
PracticeDrifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z1 Torque Solutions Transmission Mount

I know people have talked about these before, but I just got mine installed and I wanted to put a review up for it.

http://z1auto.com/images/z1transmount350zg35.jpg

I got the 60a (comfort) that they don't offer anymore. I guess it was unpopular? Do people need more stiffness than this? The 75a (sport) one is still listed at the z1 site. The '60a' and '75a' are urethane durometer measurements of stiffness.

Had it professionally installed but it looked like a 3 bolts job. Car was in the shop anyway.

It does do what they claim. The shifting immediately feels better. It doesn't improve the performance of the transmission, exactly, but it improves the feel of it. So now I can feel even better where each gear is with the shifter as well as its position on the RPM range just that much better. These spots used to lurch about as the transmission moved. If you are the bang-gears-until-it-goes-in type you will find that you can now tell how bad of a driver you really are. I would buy this thing just for that.

This also improves response of the whole drive train. Although you can feel the transmission and engine movements more, they actually move less. Again, I don't see any by-the-numbers sort of performance improvement here either.

Another thing that is hard to describe...... it is like the whole car is tighter. Like someone tightened some loose screws.

Ok, so what about all that NVH stuff?

N - Well, it is louder in the cabin, but only under acceleration. So while cruising, in neutral, parking lots, etc. it isn't a bit louder. But when you put your foot down..... RUMBLE! It is like they added a subwoofer and 2 cylinders to this engine. It is more deep than it is loud. The opposite of a ricer sound. And the best part of this more-rumble-but-only-when-you-want-it is that it doesn't make your car any louder on the outside. So you get to enjoy your car more, but the neighbors don't look at you as if you were a menace to society.

V - If you don't like to feel every change in rpm, every pulse of power, and each click of a gear change, then this mount isn't for you. If you don't want to be involved, get an automatic transmission. Even with more feel, the transmission doesn't vibrate your passengers or pester you though. Take your hand off the gearshift and its gone.

H - I am not sure what harshness is, but it doesn't do anything to the suspension or anything about the road. This just makes you feel the internal stuff more.

So what do I think? I love it! I don't know how Nissan could have missed such an opportunity that was just a dollar of urethane away. I paid about 100 bucks for mine, and it was dollar-for-dollar the most fun thing I have done to my Z. Not the most performance, mind you, but tons of fun.

Disclaimer: My Z already has on it a Quaife LSD, an Injected Diff Brace, a GTM stage 2 supercharger kit, and an Ingalls Stiffy Torque Damper. These things may have influenced my opinions of the performance of the mount. Driving joy may vary. I have a stock exhaust, so my experience with the in-cabin sound may be different than any aftermarket exhaust with this mount.

*UPDATE* The exact version I got is hard to find, and I have gotten a couple PM's about if the newer versions will work. YES they will. The ones currently offered by both Z1 and Amazon are functionally the same thing but the finishes might be different. The durometer I got was unpopular, so I would expect that the 75a will be even better for most people. Get the 75a(unless race car) and you wont regret it. Please support the specialty dealers like Z1, because Amazon doesn't develop or carry many specialty parts and we want to support the guys that power our aftermarket.

Last edited by PracticeDrifter; 08-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Are they available now?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

You'd have to call and see... I tried ordering one online.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 AM
PracticeDrifter

Last I checked you can still get them in the 75a setting which is a little stiffer. but stay away from metal-only mounts. Metal only means race only, and people have actually removed them because they are so harsh.

Got mine from these guys.
http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ne&prodid=4528

Unless I am mistaken, this company actually makes them and sells them right on their website.
http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-tm-350.htm

and amazon.com

and they are occasionally sold here on the forum.

Here is a short review of the 75a version that is easily available.
http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...mount-350zg35/

If you want the softer version I got (and love) you might have to make some phone calls and ask.

Last edited by PracticeDrifter; 03-03-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

They need eng mount to go along with them, they only reason i'm still thinking about the Megan racing kit.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full metal mounts are not that bad. i've had solid mounts on a number of vehicles and they didnt beat you up much, just make sure if you get a solid trans mount and compliment it with solid motor and diff mounts.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 PM
rawley_12003

Yeah i now have injected performance solid mounts and momentum trans mount, and i think spl solid diff mounts. Let me tell with these together in the cabin sound like a diesel lol.. but i noticed my shifting isn't sloppy getting into high boost during shifts. But be aware your car will be loud in cabin, hearing every little noise from the transmission. But i will be testing these out this weekend on the drag strip.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Andrei

The noise can probably be fixed with a silicone sheet/hose cut in half, and placed between the chassis and transmission crossmember mounting points. I have a track event next Friday against a 335i and I bought the mount and I'll report back.

Last edited by Andrei; 08-01-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
linwoodja
Banned

I tried ordering one online.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Andrei

Get it on Amazon. They should ship to UK.
Amazon Amazon
They also told me they fixed the issue with the center bolt hole being too big for the stock mounting bolt. Fixed it 6 months ago they said.

Last edited by Andrei; 08-03-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Andrei

I installed it and EVERYTHING is different. The exhaust sounds bad with it, you can feel and hear every gear tooth in the car and feels harsh overall. On the upside the gear changes are smoother with a positive feel makes it hard to miss any gears, the car doesn't wheel hop as much if at all, the car also has less body roll which I didn't expect so it corners harder but I contribute that to a rear 350evo sway bar I installed at the same time.

I'll try some silicone sheets in between the crossmember and chassis and see if it helps. And the 335i has been down for a few days now with a faulty water pump and wont be running by this Friday.

Last edited by Andrei; 08-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM
KremerOtha
Banned

I tried ordering one online.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM
PracticeDrifter

Andrei, did you put this on your Black Obsidian car with the "Custom dual 3" exhaust w/ quad tips"? On my car (supercharger and stock exhaust) it sounded way deeper with a good rumble. Let us know if the silicone sheets make it less harsh. Was yours the 74a (sport) or the stiffer race version? I think that my comfort (60a) would be quite a bit softer than either of those.

I'm sure your handling improvement is from the sway bar, cause mine still handles the same. Rear sway is on my to-do list.

Last edited by PracticeDrifter; 08-08-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
myfirstzcar

They don't need to have engine mounts with them, but your engine will rock side to side just like it did before. The trans mount keeps the trans from deflecting side to side/up/down under load. I hated my 75 duro mount so I modded my stock mount and put it back in.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
MM'08_350Z

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

I have Rev Shift 80A motor mounts and torque solutions transmission mount and the car feels AWESOME!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I need the motor mounts soon. The trans mount feels great.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM
corsairprime

Default Z1 Motorsports billet trans mount

I bought and installed the Z1 Motorsports billet trans mount recently. I do like it. Yup there's more noise in the cab. Not altogether in a bad way. I may put some silicone strips at the body mount locations evetually. Jury's still out.

P.S. I think the billet mount poly bushings are 70A stiffness. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by corsairprime; 07-03-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 AM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I really hated this bushing. I changed the bushing while I installed a CD009, southbend clutch and fidanza flywheel. I really couldn't tell much difference with the shifting. But the noise this thing made was just unbearable. I thought that I had messed something up with the gearbox installation. Flywheel chatter and exhaust noise were really bad, but after I changed the OEM bushing back it was all good.

I would only recommend this for a race car. I have solid diff mounts and poly subframe mounts, some alloy bushings here and there, but they are nothing compared to this. Maybe it will work if your car is stock, but for me it was just way too much noise.

Last edited by 350z-Helsinki; 07-08-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
1973camarolt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed my 75A Torque Solutions mount today and I really like it. Paired with a Popcharger, the engine sound conducts through the car well. It changed the character of it from feeling smooth to feeling alive, a lot like an S2000. There's a slight vibration throughout the interior but I dig it. Soon I'll have a non-stock exhaust to make it unnoticeable .
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM
35thsickz33

would these help on a 5at?? or just really benefit the mt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z1 Torque Solutions Transmission Mount