Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

i sent some picturs to your email, hope you get it all worked out. you might actually be able to remove the antenna thing from the ignition. looks like its only 1 screw holding it on, but its a really tight place to get to. If you drop your plastic trim that goes around ignition, "4 screws" you might be able to get to it. The screw holding it on is towards the top of the ignition. You can actually use a phillips head screw driver or a 8 mm socket for this. Looks to be the only thing holding it on.
Attached Thumbnails NATS Antenna??? What does it looks like?-img_0065.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 AM
nachospizza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very very much MEANZ!!!!!!

Originally Posted by meanz
i sent some picturs to your email, hope you get it all worked out. you might actually be able to remove the antenna thing from the ignition. looks like its only 1 screw holding it on, but its a really tight place to get to. If you drop your plastic trim that goes around ignition, "4 screws" you might be able to get to it. The screw holding it on is towards the top of the ignition. You can actually use a phillips head screw driver or a 8 mm socket for this. Looks to be the only thing holding it on.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
MarkLee77

I have a similar problem my car cranks but wont start I can hear the fuel pump prime I think its the nats antena I am gonna get a price tomorrow I ll let u know how much it is I am from the Uk so I would imagine that the prices would vary but I ll post it up here n e way I ll also find out if the keys need reprograming

Last edited by MarkLee77; 07-06-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM
nachospizza

Hi there did you finally get the NATS Antenna installed? How much is it? Did u have to get a new BCM and re-program the remote key also? Please let me know thanks!

Originally Posted by MarkLee77
I have a similar problem my car cranks but wont start I can hear the fuel pump prime I think its the nats antena I am gonna get a price tomorrow I ll let u know how much it is I am from the Uk so I would imagine that the prices would vary but I ll post it up here n e way I ll also find out if the keys need reprograming
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM
BallZ33

Sorry to bring up a 4 month old topic. But does every 350z have NATS? So if my car gets stolen they could locate it. From what I'm geting it's just a thing where only a certain key will work with it? I have a 08 base and have no chip on my key so sorry for sounding like a dumb ***
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NATS does not find your car(were you asking about if it was stolen to locate it?) but it does read your key and look it up in the computer to see if it matches the registry to see if it is one of the multiple keys you own that are registered to the car before it will start. This all happens quickly and if it struggles it takes 3 seconds to time out and not start.
I was looking at this thread with interest becuase I am having problems again. My dealer narrowed it down last year to the BCM or the antenna but wouldn't choose which one to replace until it failed again at their shop to save me money and they had the car for two days and it never screwed up so I said just give me my car back. Over the last year it has not wanted to start 3 or 4 times but I know all of the tricks from the other threads on this to not strand myself again. Don't actually crank the car more than about 3 times(?) in a row or that key will become blocked and you are going nowhere. But that is all covered in other threads in detail.
What I wanted to find out is that I believe partially that it is connections in the harnesses that need to be re-seated because I left my car with the dealer that one time becuase it got very bad. It went from twice a year to 10 times in one week and I ended up trying to start my car about 20 times once and stranded myself. Luckily I was actually at my dealer. Once they reprogrammed my key and took everything apart to test it I had no more problems for months.
What I was hoping to figure out is if I disconnect any of the NATS hardware to clean connections will I still be able to start my car or will it detect me unplugging things and need a dealer to reset anything before it will all function again?
Also your problem with it starting then idling funny does not seem to be NATS related. Here is the best clue for you going forward. Find the red LED on the top of the dash by the window. If you turn your key two positions to ON and the red light is still on, you are guaranteed not to start. The car will crank forever but the fuel pump is shut off by NATS. One of the main tricks is to notice this the first time it will not start. Then when you try tricks like arming the car, disarm, open door, shut door, try again - ONLY switch the key to ON (don't turn all the way to crank) wait 3 seconds and see if the light is on. You are allowed to "check" the light as many times as you want before you actually crank. Do not crank the car more than 3 times in a row with the red light on or that key will be blocked. I carry two keys with me at all times just in case! It's one of those things in life that if you have it you won't need it for me.
Pay attention to the red light to help you figure out if it's NATS or fuel related. I also remember both parts were damn expensive like several hundred each.
The following users liked this post:
iReZ (09-01-2019)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

bjr, should shouldnt have to get the car reprogrammed if you unplugged your connections to clean them. When i put together my z shell, i pulled everything from a running z and swapped it to the shell. Including the ignition/nats antenna and everything else inbetween. It started right up after swapping everything over.
The following users liked this post:
iReZ (09-01-2019)
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meanz
bjr, should shouldnt have to get the car reprogrammed if you unplugged your connections to clean them. When i put together my z shell, i pulled everything from a running z and swapped it to the shell. Including the ignition/nats antenna and everything else inbetween. It started right up after swapping everything over.
Thanks so much for filtering through my rambling and answering my question I'd love to inspect/clean all connections if my car becomes a big problem again.
I hope that I also threw out enough info for the OP to use to narrow things down. These ignition problems are a PAIN even when the dealer has the computer to get into the NATS log. They were pretty confused over my issue and it seems common enough on this board.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Here's another scenario:

My ECU got fried and bought another ECU with NATS wiped out, using UPREV. So I plug that one right and and here's what is happening...

Here's what's happening right now:

Logic tells me that with NATS deleted from the ECU, it does not matter if the NATS antenna is working or not. Wrong? What about the red LED light here? What does it mean? Do I need to be concerned about it at all, now that the NATS has been disabled?

What's the next step?

Last edited by 350Zdj; 09-22-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^nats not disabled on your flash. have a tuner double check the rom. car should start right up if it was disabled. red led on just means you locked the car up using the wrong key, but it doesnt matter if NATS is disabled.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Voboy
^nats not disabled on your flash. have a tuner double check the rom. car should start right up if it was disabled. red led on just means you locked the car up using the wrong key, but it doesnt matter if NATS is disabled.
Got it, thanks.

The tricky part is I bought this ECU with Uprev tune from Zfever, and shipped it all the way to Dubai. He also sent me a vid of the ECU running on another car. It's in their FB page
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152043333763296

All my Z's crank/cam sensors, fuel pump, harness, wiring and fuses are good.

My technician said he can bring a guy to just unlock the ECU and this is what we're gonna try next.

Will keep you guys updated

Last edited by 350Zdj; 09-22-2013 at 10:32 PM.