Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The problem with catch cans and the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Other platforms are breaking new records every week and this one is still doesn't know how to install a catch can right?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

lol..^^ im making a sticker for myself:

" Bought not Built. "

Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Even big name shop use other shops to build their heads, trannys.. etc.

No one can do it all by himself.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 PM
engineman02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsyke
420 much? I've read this whole thread, and I do not think you have said anything remotely correct.
I gotta agree with Bigsyke. Jerryd87 your trippin dude. I hope your not a tech working at a dealership or something. I pretty much skipped over all that senseless info you posted.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM
engineman02

This can looks just like what I need. I have a 05 ZR with an oil consumption issue. I go through 1qt about every 1k miles. So I did a little research and found this to be a big issue on some 350's. When I bought my car I had no idea about the oil consumption issue. After my first 5k oil change I barley had 2qts of oil in my pan. I bypassed the PCV system and vented all crank gases to the atmosphere via Jegs oil catch can with a breather. Periodically checking my level, I drove my car really hard for 6500 miles and I didn't consume any oil at all. All I actually had in my catch can was a crap load of condensate moisture with very little oil. It was actually pretty clean as well when I drained it for the next oil change.

With this end result I thought I had it nipped in the bud. Unfortunately I gained another issue, excessive moisture. My fill cap actually had emulsified oil residue in the top. I did some more research about PCV systems and realized that not only do they remove blow by gases etc..etc... and all that other fun stuff talked about in this thread but also keeps moisture out of your engine. So i'm back to the drawing board once again. I will hit up Saikou and get one of these cans and try it out. Hopefully I will eliminate the oil consumption and moisture issue simultaneously. I will keep yall updated on what my results are.

Big thanks to F2CMaDMaXX for working with Saikou on making a functional affordable OCC for our cars. And even with all the hating on this thread not giving up on making a quality product, good job dude.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thankyou, engineman02, i do find the quality and the price of the Saikou can to be where i want it.

Have you checked whether your engine falls into the excessive consumption recall? 1qt for every 1000 miles seems to be what the dealer will check for. Although, confused about why venting to atmosphere would 'fix' it?

I do know that the 350 seems to like 'thicker' oils, and that castrol edge (very thin 5w30) burns horrendously in mine, Penzoil plat worked ok, been using regular GTX for the lat couple of changes, about to switch to Rotella T6 in a 5w40.

Anyway, yes, having the full circulation system in effect is a good idea, hopefully when you get the can all hooked up, things should start settling down for you. But definitely look into that recall if you have been using regular oil.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting thread I guess. Never seen a need for myself to install one.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Ideally, you don't, however, as engines wear, they will generally benefit more, engines are designed to use the PCV system to 'burn' some oil.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
engineman02

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Thankyou, engineman02, i do find the quality and the price of the Saikou can to be where i want it.

Have you checked whether your engine falls into the excessive consumption recall? 1qt for every 1000 miles seems to be what the dealer will check for. Although, confused about why venting to atmosphere would 'fix' it?

I do know that the 350 seems to like 'thicker' oils, and that castrol edge (very thin 5w30) burns horrendously in mine, Penzoil plat worked ok, been using regular GTX for the lat couple of changes, about to switch to Rotella T6 in a 5w40.

Anyway, yes, having the full circulation system in effect is a good idea, hopefully when you get the can all hooked up, things should start settling down for you. But definitely look into that recall if you have been using regular oil.
Yes, I fall short of being in the recall window. The recall actually covered a long block replacement from nissan for the effected vehicle. I guess there was some kind of internal issue that was just cheaper to replace the whole engine than taking it apart and fix the internally failed component. I guess the engines that where consuming more oil had more blow by pass the rings creating higher crankcase pressures. Which may have created more oil saturated gases that ended up coming back through intake being consumed by the engine.

Nissan didn't extend coverage for this recall out passed the standard manufacture warranty period. So I'm sure there are allot of folks that got the run around on this issue.

I have no clue why bypassing the PCV system worked but it did for me. There where some other guys out there that have made youtube videos about it and this is what they did, so I gave it a try. Its just the moisture issue I had with the oil is just as bad if not worse than the oil consumption issue.

I use mobil 5w30 with the Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer on all my oil changes.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I'll personally recommend you don't use mobil 1 oil, it's been nothing but crap in all the engines i've used it in, including wearing down too much after 1000 miles, seems very thin.

If you get a good oil, additive packages are almost pointless, and i think there is a posibility of the Lucas messing with the additive balance in the mobil1 anyway. Go ahead and try Castrol GTX, Rotella T6, Penzoil Platinum. If you're curious as to how well it's doing, check with Blackstone labs for a UOA.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not gonna comment saying Mobil 1 is garbage but I would not do the oil stabilizer. I understand if you ran a crap conventional oil and adding that to help but full synthetic shouldn't need it.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, that ^^^
Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Bigsyke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engineman02
With this end result I thought I had it nipped in the bud. Unfortunately I gained another issue, excessive moisture. My fill cap actually had emulsified oil residue in the top. I did some more research about PCV systems and realized that not only do they remove blow by gases etc..etc... and all that other fun stuff talked about in this thread but also keeps moisture out of your engine. So i'm back to the drawing board once again. I will hit up Saikou and get one of these cans and try it out. Hopefully I will eliminate the oil consumption and moisture issue simultaneously. I will keep yall updated on what my results are..
Good info. I have 1qt @1k miles too.

I've ran a 240sx with the PCV vented for about 5 winters, no real issue with condensation.

Running my Z32TT vented to the intake (no vacuum), no real issues.

I do limit the short trips, and try to get the oil above 212*f as often as possible.

What type of climate are you in?

Look into Krank Vents. It sounds like putting a krank vent on the Airbox side will limit the flow through the engine, yet retaining a sealed system, bringing the benefit of extreme vacuum into the crankcase.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:03 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subd to read when I have more time
Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
engineman02

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
I'll personally recommend you don't use mobil 1 oil, it's been nothing but crap in all the engines i've used it in, including wearing down too much after 1000 miles, seems very thin.

If you get a good oil, additive packages are almost pointless, and i think there is a posibility of the Lucas messing with the additive balance in the mobil1 anyway. Go ahead and try Castrol GTX, Rotella T6, Penzoil Platinum. If you're curious as to how well it's doing, check with Blackstone labs for a UOA.
I had (just sold it in January) a F250 powerstoke diesel that I ran Mobil 1 5W40 for over 140K miles. When I had some warranty work done at 88K the Tech told me that its was the cleanest powerstroke he has ever put his hands on. Usually I wouldn't pay attention to the source; but he is a senior master diesel tech from ford with over 18 years working on diesels (at that time). So I can't say Mobil 1 is trash cause i've had such good luck with it.

As for the additive I run it just to compensate for any blow by issues that I may have. It does add some viscosity to it without being to much in my opinion. Im not to sure I would run any oils with the viscosity of 40 or higher. Seems a bit to much.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
engineman02

Originally Posted by Bigsyke
Good info. I have 1qt @1k miles too.

I've ran a 240sx with the PCV vented for about 5 winters, no real issue with condensation.

Running my Z32TT vented to the intake (no vacuum), no real issues.

I do limit the short trips, and try to get the oil above 212*f as often as possible.

What type of climate are you in?

Look into Krank Vents. It sounds like putting a krank vent on the Airbox side will limit the flow through the engine, yet retaining a sealed system, bringing the benefit of extreme vacuum into the crankcase.
Im down in southeast texas where we're known for 110% humidty....all the time....lol I will look into Krank Vents as well. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Recommended oil in the UK (cooler than where i am now) was always a 10w40 - i wouldn't worry about running a 5w40 there (Texas)

Additives should ideally be balanced, adding in extras obviously changes that.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil consumption part doesn't have anything to do with the oem pcv system otherwise they would have changed it. The issue was blow by caused by a manufacturing defect on a specific date range of cars. The rings didn't seal good enough to prevent blow by therefore the oil was being burned. I'm still running a catch can with open breathers from both valve covers (as is quite a few other guys that drag race) with no issues. 800hp, simple catch can vented to atmosphere, zero problems for 3 years (and zero problems for the 3 years on my first block before refreshing it and going for higher hp with the same system). I'm not really sure where the confusion on a catch can system is.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM
engineman02

[QUOTE=binder;10327192]The oil consumption part doesn't have anything to do with the oem pcv system otherwise they would have changed it. The issue was blow by caused by a manufacturing defect on a specific date range of cars. The rings didn't seal good enough to prevent blow by therefore the oil was being burned. I'm still running a catch can with open breathers from both valve covers (as is quite a few other guys that drag race) with no issues. 800hp, simple catch can vented to atmosphere, zero problems for 3 years (and zero problems for the 3 years on my first block before refreshing it and going for higher hp with the same system). I'm not really sure where the confusion on a catch can system is.[/QUOTE

I dont see where anyone said they where confused. I was consuming oil unitl I bypassed the PCV system then the oil cosumption stopped. Only down side I have experienced of bypassing the PCV system is heavy mositure content from the engine.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's strange because "consumption" motors that you said you saw online won't change from doing anything to the pcv system. It's a clearance issue in the engine. So yours was obviously a different reason but honestly it doesn't make sense how your engine isn't using oil now though. If the blow by was getting sucked back through the pcv system and being burned (2 qts down like you said is a lot of oil to be burned) then that would continue to go into your catch can.

So the thing I said about being confused is that you were relating 2 completely different issues together and I think it's an odd coincidence since they aren't related.

Quick Reply: The problem with catch cans and the 350Z