Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The problem with catch cans and the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
actually the 75 hp i was referring to is NA, nhra pro stock using windage tray and dry sump, its actually so effecient you will see a vaccuum in the crank case without it being hooked up to the intake.
Nice But you didn't mention the dry sump part

we already covered why it was invented, emissions, the first system had NO way of sucking anything out, it was a rubber hose that ran from the valve cover to either behind the car or one of the fender wells. worked absolutly fine but it generated too much emissions.
The draft tube system? that's what i'm reading was the first version, so called because the draft generated mild vacuum and help evacuation.

i know what the patent says but i can also roll a piece of paper into a tube, put a piece of tape on it and patent it as a rainbow generator, a patent dosnt mean ****. i am telling you FROM EXPERIENCE there is nothing inside the crankcase that will corrode the insides no gasses, and water vapor? that going to depend on humidity how much is in the air but everyone knows oil does not mix with water so that laughable your not going to see any of that inside the crankcase. fuel vapors like i said i will bet you $10000 right now that you can drop a crank into the automotive fuel of your choice and 20 years from now we will not see any degradation or corrosion on it, hell the fuel will even stop rust from forming.
Okay, don't know why you brought that up?

the water yous see coming out of your exhuast pipe is, since i know that is going to be your next comment, isnt actually from combustion its from when the car has been running is turned off too cool down, the temperature differentials on the out flowing into the pipe when the car is turned off causes moisture in the air to flash vaporized on the hot pipe it then pools in mufflers and catalytic converters which people see as water coming out at the next startup. hell people who run water injection dont even see water coming out the exhuast or water in the oil at oil changes with vented can setups so your "this is what the patent says" argument is invalid.
Hadn't even been thinking about water vapour, and i know what causes it, no argument from me here. (do i win this one? )

you seems like at least a mildly intelligent person but at this point your believing what you want and ignoring facts and basing your arguement on what a manufacturer whom must meet rules and tell the epa what they want to hear says. you have admitted you do not have much experience yet are ignoring what many people with much much greater experience have told you so im not going to continue anymore people can make of the thread what they want ive countered everyone of your points and you just repeat yourself.
Thanks for the compliment. The reason i'm jsut repeating things at this point is because it's all the same info. The arguments i'm coming up with come from documents, you haven't backed up your comments with any recorded info, just hearsay and passed on information.
You haven't given me anything that suggests you have "much greater experience" so i'm sorry if i come across as bolshy on this matter.

I admitted i did not have much experience on the windage, so i looked it up, i guess that's a good thing, i now know a little more than before

I didn't start this thread to discuss the way the PCV system works. Regardless of how emissions related it is (not arguing that, i know it is) There isn't a single bit of information i can find that backs up what you're saying, whereas what i'm saying is from the various articles on the history and the way it's worked for the last 60 years.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by ronn1
Oil catch would be useful with piston blow by caused by bad ring seal in 06 cars. Won't solve problem, but would help with excess oil in blow by in this particular instance.

Catch cans should not be needed in our cars..other than the instance mentioned above. TURBO applications are another story...you can get more oil in the intake track/intercooler with positive pressure in the intake..AKA BOOST.

Good summary:

An oil catch can is used in turbo applications, or high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants

Yup, good info, thanks.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX

Thanks for the compliment. The reason i'm jsut repeating things at this point is because it's all the same info. The arguments i'm coming up with come from documents, you haven't backed up your comments with any recorded info, just hearsay and passed on information.
You haven't given me anything that suggests you have "much greater experience" so i'm sorry if i come across as bolshy on this matter.

There isn't a single bit of information i can find that backs up what you're saying, whereas what i'm saying is from the various articles on the history and the way it's worked for the last 60 years.

Pettifogging- Placing undue emphasis on petty details.

Your ideas are correct, but simply put are not necessary and beyond what even high hp cars call for.

He doesn't need to be backed up. Simply put his information is the norm for engines across all across the board. You're fabricating this big issue with how tradition catch cans work. Yes some are better than others, but the quality of attention you bring to this discussion is disproportionate to the draw backs to "poorly designed" catch cans. It's like over engineering, but more like over engineering the shoelace on a shoe, yeah sure your going to save .005 oz on the shoe, and that's great and dandy but the rest of the shoe is much more important and could use many more upgrades.

I only say this because these kinds of discussions come up when people search. I don't really care if you want to go super **** about the design of your catch can (I will openly say you expect far too much R/D out for your $ on a 'mass' produced product), but realize that the things you say on here effect other people's decisions sadly. And for whatever reason you decided to go ape sh** on a pretty minor part. Rods, pistons, fasteners, hardware, ecus... all deserve this kind of attention, but catch cans? FFS you didn't even correctly understand what our PCV system does.

IMHO this thread should get smitten, although rules don't say they should... This is like being academic about why s*** stinks... simply pointless.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Pettifogging- Placing undue emphasis on petty details.

Your ideas are correct, but simply put are not necessary and beyond what even high hp cars call for.
I know. Just wanting to stop the blow-by getting into the plenum as the miles on our engines get higher.

He doesn't need to be backed up. Simply put his information is the norm for engines across all across the board. You're fabricating this big issue with how tradition catch cans work. Yes some are better than others, but the quality of attention you bring to this discussion is disproportionate to the draw backs to "poorly designed" catch cans. It's like over engineering, but more like over engineering the shoelace on a shoe, yeah sure your going to save .005 oz on the shoe, and that's great and dandy but the rest of the shoe is much more important and could use many more upgrades.
Usually if you make an argument for something, especially if it's against all found written data, you tend to need something to back it up. That was my point there.

I only say this because these kinds of discussions come up when people search. I don't really care if you want to go super **** about the design of your catch can (I will openly say you expect far too much R/D out for your $ on a 'mass' produced product), but realize that the things you say on here effect other people's decisions sadly. And for whatever reason you decided to go ape sh** on a pretty minor part.
Maybe i do expect too much, but isn't that how things get better? expecting more for less?
If it wasn't for the fact i started this thread on the astronomical cost of something so simple, i probably wouldn't care or have started the thread.
I didn't want to talk about how the PCV system worked, i wanted to talk about the problem with getting a catch can for a reasonable price and to fit the 350 without any/much modification.

Rods, pistons, fasteners, hardware, ecus... all deserve this kind of attention, but catch cans? FFS you didn't even correctly understand what our PCV system does.
Last time i checked, the PCV system works the same for everything, it's all designed to do the same thing, this is documented *all over* the place. You should check it out some time. The differences are what it does with the vaporised oil after it's removed from the crank.

And i agree, it didn't need this kind of attention, again, i state why i started this thread, and it was not to get into the way the PCV system works... that's documented all over the place...
I only wanted to talk about getting a decent catch can for a decent price and that i was getting one made that people could buy.

IMHO this thread should get smitten, although rules don't say they should... This is like being academic about why s*** stinks... simply pointless.

I'm sorry that unexpected delays in getting the can made and now even more delays due to unforeseen fitting problems, it allowed some reasonably pointless debating over the minute details of the PCV system.

I'd love to stay on track about the can i'm getting made. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dry sump is still ran off the crank......... in fact it typically uses more power to turn one because of greater mass over most oil pump. funny my buddys 57 chevy draft tube setup evacuates at idle think that negates that arguement. check out the fi forum for some of my other posts thats where i usually dwell, like i said ill bet you 10k you will not corrode any part inside a crankcase with any vapors. we know oil wont do it, and like i said if fuel vapors did it then fuel injectors, fuel lines, carbs, fpr's, and well everything in a fuel system would not work because the fuel would eat it. like i said patent info is useless, half the patents you will find dont even actually work , it dosnt actually have to work for you to get a patent, can patent dog crap as a battery if you want. the fsm is another no go since there are several errors in it, and it attempts to defy the laws of physics and fluid dynamics, and finally the web site you originally posted is also just hearsay since the author proves not credentials either.

my first 84 camaro i fryed a piston in(from nitrous) has 84k on the engine with nothing but breathers on the valve covers......... no damage to anything inside the crank case, and thats all cast internals that are weak compared to modern materials. in fact ive never built a engine nor heard of anyone building or tearing down a engine that had any damage from "corrosive gasses in the crankcase" grandfathers jeep comanchee(the pickup) with a 4.0 inline 6 had 268xxx miles when we freshened it up with new bearings, rings, seals, gaskets. had the pcv system vented to air and egr valve unhooked from day 1 and again no such corrosion. people see gas, know its corrosive and ignore what its corrosive too, prime example? not all acid eats skin, not all acid eats metal, there are specfic types that eat certain things no vapor inside the crankcase will eat any of the metals as i said before ill put 10k on that right now. even the seals will take longer then your engine will last and need replaced from use then anything else.

alot of the people who have commented here and told you the pcv system dosnt work like the fsm says, myself,binder, resmarted, have significant knowledge on the subject of automotives and the inner workings just take a peak into the fi section thats where most of the technical discussions take place.

what can you not find being backed up? admitedly some of my stuff came from shadowing university of northwestern ohio for a few weeks when i was in collision repair school(shadowed one of there high performance motorsports students regret not actually attending) but a good amount of it can be found in any of the archives for the old school mags like hot rod, camaro performers, muscle car, ect. ect. not really any of the newer mags touch it because its considered pretty common knowledge since the older mags beat it to death then revived it 10 times to beat it to death again. might actually have to find issues though i know i had 2 or 3 of them before i moved and tossed them, wife wouldnt let me bring about 500 auto magazines with me(ive been at the performance thing for awhile started at 16 helping got into my own cars at 17 when i bought my first camaro.)

again like i said if you have any doubt take my bet can drop a rod or piston or crank into anything and lets see how it fairs in the next 20 years ill even update yah with contact info every time it changes =D

now with that said im all for you going to a cheaper route props i used to do it with my camaro(why i built the entire suspension out of tubing from home depot, heim joints from summit, and a ebay tig welder lol) but several people are trying to tell you that some of your info is incorrect and you can have a simpler setup in many cases, such as no need to route it to the intake(unless you really do care about emissions)
Nice But you didn't mention the dry sump part

The draft tube system? that's what i'm reading was the first version, so called because the draft generated mild vacuum and help evacuation.

Okay, don't know why you brought that up?

Hadn't even been thinking about water vapour, and i know what causes it, no argument from me here. (do i win this one? )

I admitted i did not have much experience on the windage, so i looked it up, i guess that's a good thing, i now know a little more than before

I didn't start this thread to discuss the way the PCV system works. Regardless of how emissions related it is (not arguing that, i know it is) There isn't a single bit of information i can find that backs up what you're saying, whereas what i'm saying is from the various articles on the history and the way it's worked for the last 60 years.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

save youself some trouble vent it to atmosphere it eliminates hoses and will guaranteed work just fine with no damage to your motor, any shop that tells you different is trying to rip you off for installing a slightly more complex system(although it seems you might be doing this yourself?) like i said there plenty to back it up just your gona have to REALLY dig for it alot if from the 90's for the most recent stuff that was a really big time for development of products. i suggested a live test to you sure it will take awhile but you will see im correct and its not going to damage anything. its kind of like the pb blaster in a cup trick, sure it dissolves a styrofoam cup but what the hell does it have to do with penetrating power? same thing, gas will desolve the cup but its not gona do **** to metal same for all other gasses that are normally in the crankcase.(i gave up on how air is supposed to enter the crank case i dont think you will ever believe me on that one personally but hey what do i know ive only built engines, fixed them, gone to school for it and know 9/10 vehicles on the road dont have any magical way of running air into the crankcase and also dont have any issues.)

if you really wanna test it hook up a smoke machine and put some of the smoke in a can and put it inline with the back driver port at idle on a NA vehicle bet you watch as that port which according to the fsm should be sending fresh air into the crankcase actually pulls into the intake like ive been saying all along.
I know. Just wanting to stop the blow-by getting into the plenum as the miles on our engines get higher.

Usually if you make an argument for something, especially if it's against all found written data, you tend to need something to back it up. That was my point there.

Maybe i do expect too much, but isn't that how things get better? expecting more for less?
If it wasn't for the fact i started this thread on the astronomical cost of something so simple, i probably wouldn't care or have started the thread.
I didn't want to talk about how the PCV system worked, i wanted to talk about the problem with getting a catch can for a reasonable price and to fit the 350 without any/much modification.

Last time i checked, the PCV system works the same for everything, it's all designed to do the same thing, this is documented *all over* the place. You should check it out some time. The differences are what it does with the vaporised oil after it's removed from the crank.

And i agree, it didn't need this kind of attention, again, i state why i started this thread, and it was not to get into the way the PCV system works... that's documented all over the place...
I only wanted to talk about getting a decent catch can for a decent price and that i was getting one made that people could buy.

I'm sorry that unexpected delays in getting the can made and now even more delays due to unforeseen fitting problems, it allowed some reasonably pointless debating over the minute details of the PCV system.

I'd love to stay on track about the can i'm getting made. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Can was sent back last week for some minor mounting modifications, hopefully i'll see it again in another week, all ready to go.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Can was sent back last week for some minor mounting modifications, hopefully i'll see it again in another week, all ready to go.
Just wanted to say, you're the only person I've ever read complaining about having to make custom mounts for a catch can. Never met anyone in person do that either.
PS for what you get in the Dynosty catch can it's a steal, the fab, filter, and lines are just under what they are asking for.
I'm going to be doing the in exhaust system... All my friends do that too. Post o2 sensors, cheap and easy.

TBH I don't think anyone cares about how long it takes for that can to come out. And I don't think anyone really cares about another catch can out there... really feel like you're the only one on this. Don't take that the wrong way but it's a simple component to any build.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Well i'm so very glad you contributed to this thread, i'm interested in seeing your link through to the exhaust.

I'm happy you finally read about someone who wanted to have a nicer/better solution to mounting the OCC, i'll let you know how it goes

No idea what a Dynosty catch can is, sorry. If it's over $100 then you've failed to see the point of this thread whether it's worth the money or not.

Fortunately, in this case, *I* don't care what you think regarding anyone else or what they think about catch cans.
This may be a simple component, no arguments there, but again you're failing (completely) to see the point of this thread.
NO ONE out there does this, for the reasons on that, please *read* the first post which contains a *very simple* list of points stating why this is useful to people who don't want to vent and don't want to spend too much money on a can that *still* requires them to do work for it to fit.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Also, to everyone else reading this, i wanted to say i'm sorry, i was wrong about one of the ways the PCV system works. I know i said it was pressure from the intake pushing it through, but it's the exact opposite, i did write that and i was wrong.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, to everyone else reading this, i wanted to say i'm sorry, i was wrong about one of the ways the PCV system works. I know i said it was pressure from the intake pushing it through, but it's the exact opposite, i did write that and i was wrong.
yes, engine vacuum is how it pulls crank gases into the intake.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by binder
yes, engine vacuum is how it pulls crank gases into the intake.
Whilst i understood this, i brushed over the details earlier, i didn't want people to have that wrong info
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

OK, sorry for taking so long with this, i'm just making a quick update here with some dirty pics.

The can is now ready, i will update the first post with the details as well.

The can is a Saikou Michi oil catch can, it's from their "micro" series, it has a customized bracket and a quick plate to hold the can securely on the power steering reservoir bracket.

It's been connected on my car for two weeks now, everything is running great.

Details of the cans from Saikou Michi are on their website http://www.saikoumichi.com/
Refer to the 'The Difference' section for details on the can and why it's one of the best values out there http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm

This is an american designed and manufactured can, this configuration can be asked for and you'll get a nice setup with the bracket mods and custom angled inlet/outlet for the most direct routing of the tubing. Proper 'no tools' drain plug on the bottom for easy empting and the option of a 'sight glass'

My version of the can has slightly incorrect angles for the piping, but that is corrected on the full production version. I also chose to have a 'sight glass' for ease of maintenance.

Pricing is just $50 for the can, add $5 for the sight glass and $10 for shipping within the USA. International shipping is available, just ask when ordering.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
SDGenius

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure why you'd make a bracket that goes onto another bracket, not everyone is running factory tanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Arguably, you can reverse that, and not everyone is running custom tanks but i see your point.

It's a mount point in the car that most people have, it's easy, it's a good price and it's neatly out the way. If you've not got anything left of the PS reservoir bracket, then this probably isn't for you. It is however, a standard clamp, if there is anything similar left in the bay, then this will still work.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
SDGenius

i just mounted my Saikou Michi can to one of the holes where that bracket mounts using the normal universal bracket
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Crasez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On their website there is no vehicle specific can listed for the 350Z.

Is there a particular model number or something to get the same one you helped to sort out and that has the proper brackets and hose angles?

OK, sorry for taking so long with this, i'm just making a quick update here with some dirty pics.

The can is now ready, i will update the first post with the details as well.

The can is a Saikou Michi oil catch can, it's from their "micro" series, it has a customized bracket and a quick plate to hold the can securely on the power steering reservoir bracket.

It's been connected on my car for two weeks now, everything is running great.

Details of the cans from Saikou Michi are on their website http://www.saikoumichi.com/
Refer to the 'The Difference' section for details on the can and why it's one of the best values out there http://www.saikoumichi.com/OCC_explanation.htm

This is an american designed and manufactured can, this configuration can be asked for and you'll get a nice setup with the bracket mods and custom angled inlet/outlet for the most direct routing of the tubing. Proper 'no tools' drain plug on the bottom for easy empting and the option of a 'sight glass'

My version of the can has slightly incorrect angles for the piping, but that is corrected on the full production version. I also chose to have a 'sight glass' for ease of maintenance.

Pricing is just $50 for the can, add $5 for the sight glass and $10 for shipping within the USA. International shipping is available, just ask when ordering.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM
SDGenius

^all of their orders are done via email, just send them a link to this thread and they'll know which one you want
Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Originally Posted by SDGenius
i just mounted my Saikou Michi can to one of the holes where that bracket mounts using the normal universal bracket
That would probably work, but i found the default bracket size (on the can) to be too deep, not giving satisfactory clearance.

The nice thing about asking for this configuration, is the angle on the inlet and outlet make for nice smooth pipe routing.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

And yes, to order, just email them and ask for the 350z catch can, you can use/reference my name if you like.

Quick Reply: The problem with catch cans and the 350Z