Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

are there two different cam sprocket covers for the DE? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
mgrotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are there two different cam sprocket covers for the DE? (pics)

So, I have my front timing cover off and had at least two other front timing covers sitting around in the garage. For some reason, I got to really comparing the three them. I noticed that on 2 of the timing covers, the cam sprockets covers had a smaller groove than the cam sprocket covers on the other timing cover, if that makes sense. if not, here are some pics of what i am talking about. is this normal or are both of the cam covers with the larger groove damaged? thanks

both:

smaller groove:

larger groove:
Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
ericjackson

that larger groove just doesnt look right. its not even. i have 3 different timing covers and all mine are like the small groove
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
mgrotel

yea, the larger groove one is tapered all the way around. so one area it is just like the small groove, then as you go around it gradually gets bigger. nissan and infiniti both show only one part number, so i am assuming that is the smaller groove one. what is even more weird is that both of the cam sprocket covers i had on my car had that taper, so two covers that have that taper, not just a one off. and the surface looks like a machined surface, not rough at all, so it appears to be designed that way, or factory defects. anyway, i will put the smaller groove ones back on when i assemble.

Last edited by mgrotel; 08-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM
mgrotel

looking at them again, even the top "hat" sections are shaped differently, so odd!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pretty sure that piece is pressed in and it looks like its coming out
Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
mgrotel

naw, not pressed in

Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wtf now that your holding it its alot easier to tell. im curious how the heck that made it past qc
Old 08-10-2012, 03:21 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's weird. I just acquired an extra set of these and had them powder coated. They look like the ones with the smaller groove.

About the other ones though, it looks like the diameter of the post is machined differently also. Do you have a caliper to put on it?

Don't want to thread jack but are you replacing the seals that these seat into? The FSM says to not reuse. Courtesy has them at like 5.50 a piece, I know this is pretty cheap for piece of mind but I'd rather not spend $15+ on some parts that really don't need to be replaced.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
mgrotel

i could not find the plastic rings that fit in there, do you have a link? there is another gasket that goes on a separate part of the cover that the dealership had in stock, but not the one that goes in this groove, they said i would need to order the whole sprocket cover to get the new plastic piece that fits in the groove.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM
mgrotel

what the eff! here is the other side! what could be doing this or do you think they were bad from the beginning? i dont know of anything that would be pushing against this area to cause this, at all.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrotel
i could not find the plastic rings that fit in there, do you have a link? there is another gasket that goes on a separate part of the cover that the dealership had in stock, but not the one that goes in this groove, they said i would need to order the whole sprocket cover to get the new plastic piece that fits in the groove.
I was referring to the seal the dealership had. They are correct about the plastic ring also, you can't buy it without buying the entire aluminum piece.

Personally I don't think anything caused it. everything about the machining is different. The chamfer at the top and near the base is different as well. That's why I asked about the overall diameter. Nothing about those looks the same.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
mgrotel

i noticed that too, the neck part is tapered differently. i can try and measure at some point but not today. i just going to put it back together using the ones with the smaller groove and hope my cam advancement issues disappear. i also swapped a sprocket, the whole reason i have it all apart. thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
mgrotel

and slow03, i had these powder coated too, guess ill just paint this time, lol
Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
mgrotel

Anyone else?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Just accept you found some bad apples... Be happy you have some good ones already, haha. I thought you were talking about differences in the cam sprockets themselves in the title.

And you can get a set of the plastic rings individually, I had an extra set for a long time with how often my front timing cover came off...
Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 AM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Classy
Just accept you found some bad apples... Be happy you have some good ones already, haha. I thought you were talking about differences in the cam sprockets themselves in the title.

And you can get a set of the plastic rings individually, I had an extra set for a long time with how often my front timing cover came off...
where did you get them from?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen this happen when the dowel pins are not in on the timing cover allowing the cover to "tweak" and cause abnormal wear... what does the sealing rings that came off look like? what is all of the black stuff on the inside of the cover? I reconize the silicone but the black stuff looks like sludge

I would take the whole front cover off and put it back on, start tightening the bolts from the oil pan in the bottom to pull the cover all the way down... then the two bolts on the bottom front of the cover.... then the dowel pins in if any of the 6Mx1.00 (10MM heads) don't go in smooth then it is not lined up correctly
Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM
mgrotel

the plastic sealing rings were not good, one was moderately damaged, the other was pretty bad and didnt even make a full circle anymore.

i had the whole front cover off when i noticed this, as i was replacing a cam sprocket. its already all put back together, i used the smaller grooved covers when reassembling. i tightened all of the bolts in the order specified in the fsm. so far, problem solved as both cams are advancing with throttle. thanks.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM
mgrotel

oh, and the black stuff was not sludge, just overspray from getting powder coated.

and if you are talking about the dowel pins in the front timing cover that help you align it when assemebling, those are definitely in place, no doubt they are there.

Last edited by mgrotel; 08-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM
mgrotel

i still think the covers are a completely different part, i dont even remember where i got them from. but they look so much different upon close inspection, in addition to the angled groove.

Quick Reply: are there two different cam sprocket covers for the DE? (pics)