Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LS1 w/ T56 clutch question & charging question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 AM
agallardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 w/ T56 clutch question & charging question...

Hey guys, I got my ls1 up and running about month ago. I just got to driving it around. And got two questions.
1. Clutch related. I got a Spec clutch. Believe its the 3, not 3+. Yes I got it used, but with a lot of meat left. Like 90% at least. Anyway, it came with a silver shim that sits behind the slave cylinder I installed before I put the trans on. Well now, that Im finally driving it, the clutch pedal catches really high. And while cruising around, seems like at lower rpms, it slips, and at higher rpms its fine. I kinda doubt, adjusting the pedal will shift the 'grab' point? So I haven't tried that. But also, with the guys running the spec clutch, did u install that shim behind the slave cylinder? Or any other suggestions?
2. Charging. As far as the alternator, I replaced it cause well first, it tested bad at auto parts store which is why it killed my battery. Anyway, I have a power wire from the alternator to the oem Nissan fuse block, by the battery and the ls1 harness one-wire plug connected to it. Normally the power wire off the z, from alternator and starter run to the left side of that fused block. I ran mine off to the right stud off the fused block, where normally nothing sits or is connected on the factory setup. And with a new alternator, it still drained my battery. Any thoughts on this? Or how I should have it connected?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
agallardo

Well I figured out the alternator issue. So no worries on that.
Anyone have any ideas as far as the clutch?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the stock T56 clutch for a GTO, but had the high release issue as well. I just used the Nissan pedal adjustment to bring the engagement point down a bit. It won't move it a bunch, but it definitely made a difference.

What was your alternator solution Alex? I still have a very small power draw somewhere, but haven't spent time tracking it down yet.

How do you like the overall driveability vs your previous TT setup? I have my own opinions, but would like to hear yours as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
agallardo

Originally Posted by Cass007
I have the stock T56 clutch for a GTO, but had the high release issue as well. I just used the Nissan pedal adjustment to bring the engagement point down a bit. It won't move it a bunch, but it definitely made a difference.

What was your alternator solution Alex? I still have a very small power draw somewhere, but haven't spent time tracking it down yet.

How do you like the overall driveability vs your previous TT setup? I have my own opinions, but would like to hear yours as well.
What up Cass! I will give the clutch pedal adjustment a shot... I pmed you about my problem too.

But as far as driveability, I havent really been able to experience its potential cause of the slipping clutch feeling at low rpm's. And I'm also having a small issue with 3rd gear popping out. I have to mess with it some more. BESIDES those "little" problems, it drives nice. Its definitely different. As far as that goes versus my TT setup, I do miss the power I had with my TT setup. But, I also like the instant torque feeling... From what I can experience now. Hahahaha...
Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
agallardo

Tried adjusting the clutch pedal, and still seems to slip. Any other ideas? Maybe I just need to get another clutch... (Hope not though)
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What is the slave position at rest? You can look through the side hole where the lines go in normally and see it, If it is set-up to where the slave is bottomed out it could be holding pressure on the clutch fingers causing partial release of the clutch and could be the cause of your slipping, Either that or you just don't have enough clutch.

If you need a clutch I can certainly help get a custom clutch built to suit your needs, Just shoot me a PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
QTB

I am not sure if you checked this but with my swap my difference was way over the allowable amount and had to buy the thickest shim I could.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...ur-clutch.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...need-shim.html

Given your symptoms I'm guessing you're likely near the min rather than the max but it's something to check regardless

BTW I bought the Tick performance 0.180" shim. Best of luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
QTB

Also, some clutches, like my ACT twin disc can be shimmed to allow for better life and clutch wear. This could also effect engagement points. It may be time well spent to see if yours is 'shimm-able' (if that's a word ).