Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Installed a Mishimoto fan shroud today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Dumb question but is there a way to wire the fans to go off the first fans signal to turn on?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Dumb question but is there a way to wire the fans to go off the first fans signal to turn on?
Someone with more electrical knowledge will need to chine in here for that.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I covered everything in the fan install i did, search under posts started by me.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
DFW Adrenaline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but just to be clear which is fan one and which is fan two? Or does it not matter?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

i would make fan one the passenger side.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
yslim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I accommodate the twin spal fan using stock wiring:

Pivot fan controller installed to change the stock FAN setting. In Stock ECM setting, fan signal kick in at 95°C, signal come from Blue Wire.

Last edited by yslim; 04-19-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 AM
etkms

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to bring up an old thread here guys. Also, thanks to the OP for the very clear detailed wiring installation instructions. I wired mine up as posted, but when I got to plugging them into the 2 wire harnesses on the car I forgot which plug went into which fan, so of course my question is, does this matter? Or will I notice something strange if it is plugged into the swapped harness? Thanks....
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say plug them in. turn on car and ac. if the passenger fans turns on, you got it right, if the driver side turns on you gotta switch the connectors around.

the passenger side turns on first because thats the side where the "hot" coolant enters the rad.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by freddys 350z
i would say plug them in. turn on car and ac. if the passenger fans turns on, you got it right, if the driver side turns on you gotta switch the connectors around.

the passenger side turns on first because thats the side where the "hot" coolant enters the rad.
This.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by freddys 350z

Thanks. I also installed the Mishimoto radiator, so I bled the system today and after a little while idling with the heater on, the passenger side fan turned on. So I guess its ok. However I could not get the 2nd fan to turn on, but I would imagine it just did not get hot enough. I have my a/c system (compressor and condenser removed also)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by etkms
Thanks. I also installed the Mishimoto radiator, so I bled the system today and after a little while idling with the heater on, the passenger side fan turned on. So I guess its ok. However I could not get the 2nd fan to turn on, but I would imagine it just did not get hot enough. I have my a/c system (compressor and condenser removed also)
2nd fan won't come on until temps go over 200 degree's iirc. Mine takes forever to kick on if the a/c is off.

I'm glad my write up helped you.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
2nd fan won't come on until temps go over 200 degree's iirc. Mine takes forever to kick on if the a/c is off.

I'm glad my write up helped you.
These are times when forums really help people out. The fan kit does not come with wiring instructions, I called Mishimoto, they told me to do something over the phone and I lost track, but it was not what you posted. This is something that not everyone can figure out even by reading FSM for a long time. Your write up was clear and to the point. It helped me big time and I am sure helped many others. Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by etkms
These are times when forums really help people out. The fan kit does not come with wiring instructions, I called Mishimoto, they told me to do something over the phone and I lost track, but it was not what you posted. This is something that not everyone can figure out even by reading FSM for a long time. Your write up was clear and to the point. It helped me big time and I am sure helped many others. Thanks again!
You are very welcome. When I wrote this I had to do a lot of digging to get the correct instructions as nothing comes with the fans and this information needed to be out here and easy to find for others. I honestly wish Mishimoto would just add connectors to make this plug and play because not everyone is going to know how to do this nor have the electrical knowledge on how to solder too. I am glad I could help someone else...

Maybe this should be a sticky?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
You are very welcome. When I wrote this I had to do a lot of digging to get the correct instructions as nothing comes with the fans and this information needed to be out here and easy to find for others. I honestly wish Mishimoto would just add connectors to make this plug and play because not everyone is going to know how to do this nor have the electrical knowledge on how to solder too. I am glad I could help someone else...

Maybe this should be a sticky?
I agree, they should definitely sell these with a new wire harness with plug to make it a true plug and play. By the way, Although I can solder, I wound up just using butt connectors with electrical tape wrapped around each one, should be fine.

This should be a sticky!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM
vagel72

I just finished the install today after following this electrical diagram.
The only problem is the drivers side kicks on 1st and the passenger kicks on 2nd or with ac.

I tried swapping the plugs and the same thing happens whats the deal yo
Old 05-09-2013, 04:31 PM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by vagel72
I just finished the install today after following this electrical diagram.
The only problem is the drivers side kicks on 1st and the passenger kicks on 2nd or with ac.

I tried swapping the plugs and the same thing happens whats the deal yo
Look back over your wires per the diagram and make sure nothing is crossed. The write up has worked for me and others no problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 PM
etkms

Yeah, I'd say you probably connected a wire wrong.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM
vagel72

Yea I jumped the gun guys.

When I was testing yesterday coolant was still low and 2nd fan was running after I turned off ac cause temps were high. I swapped plugs back as I originally had them and all is good sorry for the mix up.

This was the best electrical diagram I found cause it specified which fan was 1 and 2 passenger/driver sides. All the other justs said 1 or 2 but never specified sides. I assumed 1 would be the one that turn on 1st but one can never assume and I just didn't want to do it wrong so I'm glad STL 350z the original poster specified which fan was 1 and which was 2.

Thanks STL 350z for the great post and how to for the wiring.

Now time for the oil change.

Last edited by vagel72; 05-10-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
vagel72

I attached the picks of the install.

Did you guys have the problem of the clip that was welded to the top of the shroud to bolt to the car looking like it was welded in the wrong direction. To fix this I went to an auto parts store and got some thicker rubber sealer that comes with the shroud to close the gap between the shroud and the radiator.

But if you look at the pick if the part was welded the other way it would have fitted nice and flush.

I sent the pick to Patrick at Mishimoto customer service to see if they can do
something about that. I told them my remedy but hopefully in the future they fix that if that's how they always do that weld.

Let me know if you guys had that same issue or not.
Attached Thumbnails Installed a Mishimoto fan shroud today...-20130509_132527_zps134c96b8.jpg   Installed a Mishimoto fan shroud today...-20130509_132749_zpsc63134e3.jpg  

Last edited by vagel72; 05-10-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add picks
Old 05-10-2013, 12:21 PM
STL 350Z

Yeah the mounting tabs at the top are not the greatest but a little ingenuity comes into play to make them work. My passenger side tab was welded on a little crooked so I had to drill the hole out to get the bolt to come over a little to meet with the radiator.

Glad another member has benefited from the write up... and this really needs to be stickied.

Quick Reply: Installed a Mishimoto fan shroud today...