Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wheel hop....still????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:20 AM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel hop....still????

Hello all. I am quite puzzled at this moment as to my wheel hop issue(s). I have spent the last year trying to eliminate wheel hop and have seen limited or no success at all. When I first installed my LSD I also installed solid diff bushings. This got rid of wheel hop for a little but after my subframe bushings loosened up from the extra streess, my wheel hop returned. Then, I installed poly subframe bushings and my wheel hop actually got worse. So, as a last ditch effort I installed the Sikky solid subframe bushings thinking this would solve my problem but guess what...I still have wheel hop. No matter if its a launch or quick 1-2 shift, whenever my tires break loose, my wheels hop. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next as my whole rear subframe/diff is now solid. Could it be worn out traction arm bushings? I am kind of stumped. I am even more surprised this is still happening because my car only has 30k miles and even the OEM bushings for the traction arms, etc should still be holding pretty good. So, I am open to suggestions and opinions and I am willing to try pretty much anything to eliminate wheel hop. I plan to do a full suspension bushing kit this winter so maybe that will help? I don't know. Please help, thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wheel hop is mainly caused by the tires (short sidewall street tires) and poor driving technique.

I dont see either of those being addressed above.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on stock sized tires and wheels and wheel hop is actually caused by the repetitive front and back movement in relation to the wheel well. Unless I run r compound or drag radials I don't see how my driving technique could eliminate wheel hop. Like I said even on a quick 1-2 shift I get hop. I don't know how to correct that.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the tires 100%..u spent money in the wrong areas from what i can see..
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
its the tires 100%..u spent money in the wrong areas from what i can see..
my 08 base model wheel hops bad, and i have brand new tires. assuming i just need to swap an lsd, and it should eliminate the wheel hop for the most part?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:02 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing that stopped mine 100% once and for all was bias ply tires. Radials are always going to be prone to issues at the drag strip.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

My crappy stock bridgestones hopped a lot, solved the problem with Toyo t1r's.