Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tomei 2 way LSD grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 AM
rawrmichae1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomei 2 way LSD grinding?

Just installed my LSD today and still need to finish my 30 min of figure 8's but from what I told. You really don't need to for a tomei LSD seeding that it has gears. So I'm asking u why am I getting such a crazy grinding noise at low speeds. And it shakes the whole car! Reused bearings could. E the problem but idk. Thoughts?
All my lights are on as well, the tcs off and slip is always lit... Idk if it's due to the new diff being none stock or an error somewhere on the install

Last edited by rawrmichae1; 09-17-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's doing it's job. Mine makes noises and shakes around too. When it stops I would worry lol
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
TheFknBoss

I don't think that's normal. Noise yes shaking the whole car no.. sounds like its not setup properly.. . Did you make sure you didn't crush the crush washer from what it was? Do you have the right equipment to do this? You have to measure how many inch pounds to rotate the pinion did you check that? You make sure everything went back exactly the way it came apart? You don't really mention anything besides you put it in. What's your skill level in diff department have you done some before or first time? Only take one small thing to eat a diff. Ring and pinion paint would be a big help to see how the pinion and ring are mating..
Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM
zach711f

if your driving straight it dosent make any noiseor shake the car. but if your slowly turning in a parking lot your going to hear some weird noise and your car will fight a bit buck from locking and locking. you might have other issues but if this is your first time having a 2 way its not going to be quiet or very smooth compared to stock. 3 of my friends have the tomei 2 way and all are very agressive while turning slowly hoping and popping. and make noise. why dont u take a video of what your hearing and post it? also what gear oil are u using?? when i switched from the tomei oil after my break in to royal purple it makes alot more noise. buy the tomei oil.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
rawrmichae1

Originally Posted by TheFknBoss
I don't think that's normal. Noise yes shaking the whole car no.. sounds like its not setup properly.. . Did you make sure you didn't crush the crush washer from what it was? Do you have the right equipment to do this? You have to measure how many inch pounds to rotate the pinion did you check that? You make sure everything went back exactly the way it came apart? You don't really mention anything besides you put it in. What's your skill level in diff department have you done some before or first time? Only take one small thing to eat a diff. Ring and pinion paint would be a big help to see how the pinion and ring are mating..
No a buddy of mine did it and i do not know his exp level. Idk what you mean by crush the washer, my buddy had oreilys press the bearings on the diff and for the pounds to rotate the pinion, is wtf to me? As for going back the same yes!

Originally Posted by zach711f
if your driving straight it dosent make any noiseor shake the car. but if your slowly turning in a parking lot your going to hear some weird noise and your car will fight a bit buck from locking and locking. you might have other issues but if this is your first time having a 2 way its not going to be quiet or very smooth compared to stock. 3 of my friends have the tomei 2 way and all are very agressive while turning slowly hoping and popping. and make noise. why dont u take a video of what your hearing and post it? also what gear oil are u using?? when i switched from the tomei oil after my break in to royal purple it makes alot more noise. buy the tomei oil.
Its doing exactly as you say. Straights are fine and even higher speed 90 deg. turns are fine but when it gets down to the slow lefts and rights. It is fighting like cray and i'm not sure if its suppose to do that.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
zach711f

Originally Posted by rawrmichae1
No a buddy of mine did it and i do not know his exp level. Idk what you mean by crush the washer, my buddy had oreilys press the bearings on the diff and for the pounds to rotate the pinion, is wtf to me? As for going back the same yes!

Its doing exactly as you say. Straights are fine and even higher speed 90 deg. turns are fine but when it gets down to the slow lefts and rights. It is fighting like cray and i'm not sure if its suppose to do that.
well it sounds like mine and everyone else i know then. I mean it shouldnt be a bucking bronco and sound like your cars gunna fall apart. but if your new to a 2 way thats what u might think it feels like I dunno. make a video. does it at least work for you??

ps. do the break in procedure first. then change your oil. if u dont want slow turns to be so aggressive either press in your clutch and coast the turns or slide them..I dont recomend sliding everywhere so press ur clutch in

Last edited by zach711f; 09-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
rawrmichae1

Originally Posted by zach711f
well it sounds like mine and everyone else i know then. I mean it shouldnt be a bucking bronco and sound like your cars gunna fall apart. but if your new to a 2 way thats what u might think it feels like I dunno. make a video. does it at least work for you??

ps. do the break in procedure first. then change your oil. if u dont want slow turns to be so aggressive either press in your clutch and coast the turns or slide them..I dont recomend sliding everywhere so press ur clutch in
Well it just vibrates pretty hard at slow turns but other than that, it is ok.
Ill make a video and post it up for you guys in a bit.
As for the turns, like i said, it does it every once and a while. Life only in 1st gear! Only in 1st. And at low speeds or very sharp turns.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 AM
TheFknBoss

O geeze..so the pre load wasn't tested and you don't know what a crush sleeve is. Were the nut and pinion marked before removal? To make sure it went back to the exact spot?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 AM
rawrmichae1

Originally Posted by TheFknBoss
O geeze..so the pre load wasn't tested and you don't know what a crush sleeve is. Were the nut and pinion marked before removal? To make sure it went back to the exact spot?
No clue since i did not install this and seeing that all this is said, i believe he did not do none of the above, is there a link to a guide as to how and i will take it apart and redo it myself.

THanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 AM
TheFknBoss

I haven't seen one but once the crush sleeve is crushed too far you need a new one which is bad because the whole rear will need to be setup again .
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 AM
bigwhizkid3

Hi Guys,

Just to share. I used cusco 80w-90 lsd and it reduced the clunking noise at low speed by a lot.
While the lsd still locks well.

I was told that cusco 80w-140 lsd oil will be even better.

Tomei lsd clutch plate can also be re stacked to reduce the initial torque. I will try this in a few months time. If you purchase a 1.5 way pressure ring, you can convert it to 1.5 way.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 AM
bigwhizkid3

Originally Posted by bigwhizkid3
Hi Guys,

Just to share. I used cusco 80w-90 lsd and it reduced the clunking noise at low speed by a lot.
While the lsd still locks well.

I was told that cusco 80w-140 lsd oil will be even better.

Tomei lsd clutch plate can also be re stacked to reduce the initial torque. I will try this in a few months time. If you purchase a 1.5 way pressure ring, you can convert it to 1.5 way.
I have reconfigured the clutch disc. And it feels good. Almost no sound at low speed unless the turn angle is very sharp, but the noise is quite soft. LSD locked when I press more on the throttle.

Good for daily driving. The loud noise at carpark drive me crazy.

I got the instructions from Tomei and it works great.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:48 PM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you mind sharing those instructions from Tomei if you still have them or remember?