Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

69 Series Typhoon™ Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
ddopwd23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Series Typhoon™ Air Intake System

Im pretty sure some one has discussed this but I thought i would throw in my two cents about it. Maybe it will be of some help, since every search I do takes me to an intake that is not the one I want to research about. This is for the 07 and 08 Z. Too many searches take me to intake reviews that are not even the one I was looking for. For starters K&N labels it as a performance system. NOT a cold air intake. If you look at it in the car believe me there is nothing keeping the air that goes in cold(shielded from heat). Don't even say anything about those heat shields, they don't even block the biggest source of where the heat is coming from. The exhaust manifolds!

I know people will ask about performance. Many people have said what I am going to say as well. K&N states a gain of 8hp at the rear wheels and 7.5ftlbs. Read the bottom of the web page or in the box they give you a graph. It makes those numbers at 5800 RPM's. Normal every day driving you wont shift that high to see those gains.

As for what happened to me. I thought it was a cold air intake system, it was not. I did the research but there is another Typhoon cold air intake system. The more common (03-06) one that goes through the factory fresh air duct to the front of the radiator(69-7070TP). Or the one that has the heat shield around it(57-6013). Even if you put 07 or 08 you still only seem to find reviews about those two. (Please highlight this paragraph and send me links to these reviews because I would like to see them. Since I can't seem to find anything on this site or the internet in general.)

When I got my kit ordered from K&N some parts were missing. The large hose clamps that connect the intake tube to the throttle body and the clamps that hold the air filter to the tube. That is 6 hose clamps missing from the start. Also missing was the crankcase hose size 5/8" for the passenger side and the 1/2" for the driver side. Luckily I had the spare clamps and hoses in my garage as to not delay the install. I called K&N once I was done and gave them a piece of my mind. Once all said and done they could have come up with something better to hold the factory fresh air duct in place. The one stock snap in isn't enough to hold it since those shields they give you don't do much. I will modify them to make sure they stay in place at a later date.

I hope this helps people and for those of you who know a lot more than me about these cars, bash all you want just trying to help.