Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

'Merica! Go big or go home = installing LS engine into drift car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Mr_White

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First proper track shakedown, all systems go.

The chassis didn't need much attention in terms of setup changes, as of yet. We definitely can use more grip now with the added power and torque.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 AM
teodizzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick. Subscribed
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Mr_White

Second outing on the track, just for my own seat time / practice. It was 105+ degrees out and with our Godspeed 350Z OEM replacement radiator the temps never reached over 208 degrees through the entire day (mostly hovered between 180-205).

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
NissanZguy

Love the idea. Hate that's its for the figure skating of motorsports though.

Ricer Sport....My Opinion.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NissanZguy

I have to disagree. Most ricer cars (hondas, eclipes) are FWD. You need a RWD car to drift and a lot more handling than just going in a straight line. Anyone can go straight down a drag strip, not everyone can drift a road course.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
I have to disagree. Most ricer cars (hondas, eclipes) are FWD. You need a RWD car to drift and a lot more handling than just going in a straight line. Anyone can go straight down a drag strip, not everyone can drift a road course.
That analogy doesn't really work because yes everyone can drive a road course, they may not drift as much or finish it in one solid pass but they can drive it. As with all motorsports its asking the individual to extract the most performance out of the driver and the car while achieving the best results, difference though lies in the fact that Drifting is judged and the results depend on opinions.

I like the swap but Im just not a fan of any "sport" that has a judge deciding the winner.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Yes there is rice in the sport, strobe lights, neons and in the lower levels cars riding on the bumbstops with crazy camber. Figure skating, yes in a way, same with freestyle monster trucks, freestyle motocross and others.

Now against the ricer comment, most of these cars are build closely to a full fledged race car, the parts on them are being used to the fullest extent ( just not to shave lap times, but to control the car in when its pretty much part the edge f control) . Finally the drivers, most are not a bunch of ricers/hacks, they are seasoned race car drivers like Mr White AKA Carl Rydquist is.

You should really go to a Formula Drift event, it may change your opinion a bit. Even though I am a road racer , I would rather watch a drift event. Typically they are a lot more exciting for spectators.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

My only gripe against parking lot drifting events is that there is no wipe out factor...

Anybody can drift just as much as anyone can drag race...it's where and at what speed you're doing it!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:51 PM
C5_vette

Digging the videos and the sound of the motor (though I am a bit biased ha)

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Yes there is rice in the sport, strobe lights, neons and in the lower levels cars riding on the bumbstops with crazy camber. Figure skating, yes in a way, same with freestyle monster trucks, freestyle motocross and others.

Now against the ricer comment, most of these cars are build closely to a full fledged race car, the parts on them are being used to the fullest extent ( just not to shave lap times, but to control the car in when its pretty much part the edge f control) . Finally the drivers, most are not a bunch of ricers/hacks, they are seasoned race car drivers like Mr White AKA Carl Rydquist is.

You should really go to a Formula Drift event, it may change your opinion a bit. Even though I am a road racer , I would rather watch a drift event. Typically they are a lot more exciting for spectators.
Well said.

Last edited by C5_vette; 08-20-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Roar! Sweet car, thanks for sharing your build here.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
fueled

Great job and nice videos.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
NissanZguy

Originally Posted by terrasmak

I have spectated a few, takes skill no doubt, but I don't see the point. Its judged for style? like figure skating.

Also my ricer comment comes from the fact the majority of drift fans (Not all) are total ricers with slow cars.

Comment had nothing to do with professional drivers or their 600+hp cars.

Last edited by NissanZguy; 08-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Mr_White

I have spectated a few, takes skill no doubt, but I don't see the point. Its judged for style? like figure skating.

Also my ricer comment comes from the fact the majority of drift fans (Not all) are total ricers with slow cars.

Comment had nothing to do with professional drivers or their 600+hp cars.
Love the discussion! Drifting hasn't reached everybody yet, also doesn't have to. But it's cool that almost everybody has a pretty strong opinion, meaning it's definitely not a bland sport, it makes people react.

Drifting can be hard to understand until you get up close. I'd say it's fair to say the process of getting into it is a bit similar to the process to get into football or baseball = if you don't understand the rules, you're missing out on what the sport is about, and most likely will not get into it until you made an attempt at understanding the rules. The human psyche works like that.

So what's everybody else's take on drifting? And do you think every sport is defined by its fans like drifting? Thinking about beer drinking football fans, riot hungry soccer fans, kids that are the majority when it comes to wrestling (the funny kind of fake wrestling)...

Anyway, thx for all the cool comments on the Fueled Racing LS swap, drift fans or "haters" alike, bc in the end this thread is about the fun process of making this swap, and then driving the cr*p out of the car with this new motor setup. It's b***s to the walls my friends, this thing is a ton of fun to drive, it's all I can say.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
NissanZguy

Im to much of a drag racer I guess to undestand being judged by angles. To each their own. Love the swap though, seriously always been a fan of LS swaps in nissans.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 AM
macspeed702

who caress what people thinks its your money spend it the way u like, nice build. I'm building my lsx swapped now not sure what im going to do with it when im finished?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice,, You going to be at FD Texas right.. I def have to see this in person.. Keep it up..
Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Mr_White

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Very nice,, You going to be at FD Texas right.. I def have to see this in person.. Keep it up..
Will be there!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
sportchica705

Mr white your message folder is full..do you have an email/????
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by sportchica705
Mr white your message folder is full..do you have an email/????
Just hit him up on Facebook, he is more active on there.n
Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice work Drifting = awesome and exciting to watch live. I like watching Formula D @ road Atlanta and streets of irwindale I live in NJ and the toilet bowl is ok to watch but the others rock!

Quick Reply: 'Merica! Go big or go home = installing LS engine into drift car