Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My 350z w/ VH45DE started

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 PM
david.fryklind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 350z w/ VH45DE started

Posted some questions also found alot of info here during the swap, from RevUp VQ to bone stock VH45DE. Finally its started, mated to the box etc. All that is left is sorting the intake 'piping', hooking up the radiator hoses, wiring the fans and fabricate a smaller (hopefully not out of wood ) relay and fuse panel to be hidden in the car.

Cheers!

Link to vid:
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Gratz
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
marsboy999

Awesome work! Finally an engine from the Nissan family instead of the LS How hard was the install?

Keep us updated!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work. What kind of power u think u will make? It doesn't look like there's any room for a turbo kit in that engine bay which is a downer.

Last edited by ksuberk54; 07-01-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
david.fryklind

Thanks!

Its fekkin tight, i've got 1/4" between the towers and headers on each side.. Power wise im happy with stock right now, which should be about or just above my old RevUp VQ. Torque wise though ^^ . If all works well ill go force fed in acouple of months though theres is as you say more or less no given location in the bay but should be able to run them low down, where the cats used to be. A nice skid plate hides them as well.

I wouldnt say the install was that hard, sort of straight forward.
I decided to more the tranny 70mm further back to get back some of the weight distribution. Drilled 2 new holes (used 2 ol the old) in the floor and fitted M12 rivnuts. Also shortened the shifter bracket and linkage. Easy as pie as the linkage is steel but the bracket is aluminum so i had to have that welded elsewhere. Havent looked at the 240sx Z33 tranny mounts but theyre steel and shortened too so those can be easily modded to fit. Also had a new steel prop shaft fabricated, 70mm shorter.

Using Collins Adapters VH to Z33 transmission adapter.

The VH and Z33 have the same crank bolt pattern (yey) so.. Using the stock VH flex plate for the starter ring, mounted outside that is the Xcessive VH flywheel spacer and outside of that is the flywheel i use (ACT) but with the timing marks removed, otherwise they hit the starter. Using the Z33 ACT clutch that was fitted to the old VQ. Had to remove some material inside the tranny since the VH and VQ starters are offset by about 1 1/4". Also notched the starter alittle to get it to sit flush.

Using PerformanceVH's unwelded Z32 VH motor mounts kit, and modded them to fit, giving me about 2" between the subframe and oil pan on the VH.The VH oil pan can be left unmodded since it fits snug between the lower swaybar and subframe.

Running no AC but it should be possible to fit thissomewhere i guess. As far as Power steering goes in using the stock VH unit. Actually havent check to see if the VQ fits in the 'stock' VQ position which i shoild have since then i might have been able to use the stock Z33 PS lines. On my VH ive positioned the PS pump on the opposite side (drivers side on a LHD, seen from the front towards the motor). The VQ hose fits the VH PS pump so thats fine but it doesnt quite reach the steering rack so i have to have two extension hoses made up, shouldnt be a hazzle though as long as the shop doing them can have a look at the stock hoses/lines so that is has the same connections.

Fan and radioator wise ,moving the tranny and engine 70mm back gave me the option to use the stock VQ fans and rad, awesome, that should be big enough and also i can keep everything in front of the engine in its stock position. Its alittle tight between the fan wires and engine pulleys but should be fine.

Looking at the electrics i had instant headache but thats now gone. Looked at the VH to Z32 and VH to S13 guides and schemes. I decided to leave the Z33 harness untouched (in case i wanted the VQ back in there). I simple snatched the power from the ignition, there ive got ACC 1, ACC ON, and START. One or two wires needed constant 12v but thats straight from the battery so.. I used the ignition wires as signal to relays so that i wouldnt stress the ignition itself. Other then those three (ACC, ACC ON, START) relays and constant 12v, i needed a fuel pump relay, coil relay and ECU relay. Also a bunch of fuses for the different feeds.

Fuel then, the Z33 fuel system is a returnless system so a return line and assembly (a hose with two connectors and a siiiimple adapter/straight through thing with the right shape, all in the fuel pump assembly) had the be added. Im using CJ Motorsports kit, can be made by yourself but they have the neat adapter that replaces the stock Z33 FPR in the pump assembly.
The reason i added a fuel relay is that i dont know if the Z33 cuts the power due to it not getting any signals from the VQ. Also the Z33 ECU controls the flow rate of the pump and i didnt want that to mess with it giving weird fuel problems. The VH ECU actually does this, as do most cars, but as long as the pump gets its 12v and ground there shouldnt be any issues.

The stock Z33 NATS seems to be working fine and i can lock/unlock doors etc as i should.
Phew, thats alot more then i intended to write but anyways, thats about it i think :-P
Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 AM
shiftdrift06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats pretty bad ***.