Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Improperly towed, What could be damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Improperly towed, What could be damaged?

As title states, my car was improperly towed without my consent. Vehicle was lifted by rear wheels, e-brake engaged, manual transmission in first gear. I'm going to inspect the car tomorrow morning when I pick it up, my insurance company has been notified in advance of the situation and I am contemplating contacting an attorney.

I have searched the interwebs for general information but I would like to know if anyone has any additional information more specific to our vehicle. What type of damage should I be looking for, and which components specifically?

Other than obvious front end body damage on a coil-over lowered 350z I am assuming the ignition might be damaged considering they could not get in the vehicle to properly lock the wheel, but how do I verify this is damaged? Also any suspension components, drivetrain components and how I can check them for damage? Also I assume the fact that it was left in gear cannot be great either... The vehicle is located in the next town over so thankfully it was not towed very far but speed and route is unknown.

Any help/advice you can give would be great, thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

So they lifted the rear wheels and had the fronts rolling? If thats the case it doesnt matter if it was in gear or not. The front wheels arent even connected to the drivetrain lol....

As for not locking the wheel, that wouldnt really damage anything either. Now for your bumper and body damage as a result of the tow...that may be a different story...as you may be able to prove negligence in the tow that caused damage to the car (ie bumper scraping while towed etc.)

why did they tow the car in the first place?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

There is no issue with the car being in gear,as long as only the front wheels were rolling. The steering rack lock could be broken if enough force was used. I would expect that no damage to suspension occured unless they banged it off curbs/potholes etc.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Tow was as it should be, if you are going to two-wheel tow a rear wheel drive car, you lift the front wheels.

Steering lock will engage if the wheels turn enough and the key is out but it's plenty strong enough to hold the wheels at an angle, I see cars get towed with the front wheels fully turned all the time.

Only damage that will be possible is body damage since the car is lowered.

Why did the car get towed?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read in multiple places that the ignition steering lock is put under extreme stress if the vehicle is towed and the wheel is not locked with a physical device and if the vehicle was towed at any significant speed it is very possible even likely to have been damaged.

I do realize the front wheels are not connected to the drivetrain lol, my concerns were a little more in depth than that regarding the rear wheels very much so connected, but I appreciate the response nonetheless. My concern lies with the e-brake engaged and transmission in gear both being stressed while the car is held in the air by the back wheels! All that rocking back and forth being resisted by the driveshaft and tranny trying to lock the wheels in place!

I have zero wheel gap and scrape often enough while my car is horizontal, let alone RAKED at an angle! I have towed this car many times and have always used a flatbed with extended ramps, I figured any wrecker operator worth their salt would know this vehicle is not optimal for rear lift tow.

I'd rather settle this before I divulge more details- never know who is lurking, needless to say I am not happy... Any other thoughts?

Last edited by knils; 08-21-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Not an issue, only damage would be to your bumper.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Since the car was towed without your consent, I assume it must have been parked illegally. If that is the case, I doubt you have any kind of claim for damages. In the future, park the car properly and you won't have a problem.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Tow company is still responsible for damaged regardless. Car could be on bags and sitting on the frame. If the tow company damages it their insurance will pay
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Tow company is still responsible for damaged regardless. Car could be on bags and sitting on the frame. If the tow company damages it their insurance will pay
Not all the time. Most will fight any and all charges.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM
phunk2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What you see is what you get. There is no hidden damage from towing your car like that. Forget the steering lock etc etc. All that stuff is fine. Just look for any body damage. Other than that, no big deal at all.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Not all the time. Most will fight any and all charges.
You're talking to an insurance agent here. I've been doing this for 13 years. If they damage your vehicle they are responsible, but proving it is another story.