Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

excessive clutch chatter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Danc9552003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive clutch chatter

Hey guys, I have about 100 miles on my jwt clutch/flywheel break in and can't get used to the clutch chatter. Some days it's not too bad, some days it's like holy **** I need to rip her apart to make sure nothing is wrong. I have clutch chatter at idle, as well as 1-3.5k rpm. Every thread on here people say 2-2.5rpm is when the chatter stops, so of course I'm worried at 3k when I can still hear it chattering away. Many say it's gear lash which over time is not great for the car.

I followed install and torque specs so I'm not sure why mine is worse. Any feedback would be great!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:25 AM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chatter is pretty common on these cars when you upgrade to a lightweight flywheel. That's kinda what you sacrifice for performance. I have a lightweight flywheel and mine chatters a lot too but it's nothing music or exhaust can't fix.

If you really can't stand the noise then put the oem dual mass back on. It's possible other clutch /flywheel setups are less noisy. Others can chime in on that.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the z1 clutch flywheel combo and it is noisy at low rpms. That's the downside to the aftermarket setup.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Danc9552003

So a little good news, and some really bad news.

Earlier today I tightened a couple of exhaust bolts and also added some transmission fluid. During the clutch change some fluid had leaked out of the tranny and I added some, but wasn't sure if it was enough and decided to add more.

The good news, the first 50 miles today the chatter was much less.. pretty much how everybody said with some noise from 1-2.5k rpm. Shifts were feeling good and I was taking the rpms up to 3.5k max.

The bad news, out of nowhere I start feeling something jar/pull my shift **** while in neutral. Hard to explain.. think holding the shifter all the way to the right in neutral, in between 5th and 6th. Suddenly something (in the tranny I suppose) quickly pulls the shifter closer in between 3rd and 4th. Doesnt pull that far but I can feel it move and can even hear it.

Finally, I'm almost home and I start getting a light, constant vibration in the shifter. It honestly feels like I can feel something spinning maybe the TOB or the input shaft, through my hand on the shifter.

Soo tomorrow I think I was start taking **** apart and see what's going on. Has anybody felt this phnonenom before? I didn't have to adjust my shifter so I'm not sure.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Danc9552003

Took the car out for one last test drive, still feeling a distinct fast vibration thru the shift ****. Again almost like I can feel the input shaft spinning. I have no idea how.

So I'm gonna jack her up today, start checking things like tranny fluid and all my mounts. Also going to check the bolt holding the shifter in place. A buddy torqued it down and maybe it just loosened up.

Not sure if anybody has had this feeling in the shifter