Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2004 Z Randomly Died-- Now Dead for Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 AM
JennZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Z Randomly Died-- Now Dead for Good

The battery started dying (Frequently) and I didn't think much of it at first because I own a portable jumper and was hoping to put off repairs until I had more money... (The Problem is NOT the Battery)

Fast Forward a Few Weeks: Sometimes even jumping the car wouldn't start it and on a few occasions after a jump totally failed, the car would start right up a few hours later. (This Happened about 6 times).

Yesterday/Today: The Car is Dead as a Door Nail, Jumping Doesn't Work (from the portable or directly from another car) and it won't "randomly" start up like it use to.

I'm thinking Alternator? or the Crank Sensor?

Any other ideas on the cause? Luckily I'm next door to a Goodyear so I can push it there, but I would like to go in armed with some knowledge so they don't take advantage of me...

Does anyone know the average cost of the above repairs? I have a neighbor that thinks he can swap out the alternator but I'm not sure that is such a good idea because it's my understanding my car is "unique" in that many engine components are hard to reach and at the bottom. (If he used a jack, what is the difficulty level in replacing the alternator and what potential damage could he do).

Hey, I just race it, I don't fix it so please don't flame me for my novice knowledge of repairs.

I've UPDATED, please see the 13th Post for the newest adventures in the mysterious non-starting Z. PLEASE Help Me!

Last edited by JennZ; 12-08-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it was the alternator it wouldn't have stayed running when you jumped it before.

Does it crank at all when you try jump starting it or is there just nothing at all anywhere in the car?

Does the dash light up and everything work except the starter?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:36 AM
JennZ

Originally Posted by 92K1500
If it was the alternator it wouldn't have stayed running when you jumped it before.

Does it crank at all when you try jump starting it or is there just nothing at all anywhere in the car?

Does the dash light up and everything work except the starter?

* No Power to any of the Dash Lights/Gauges when it's dead. Not even when it's mid-jump and hooked up to another power source (the jumper for example). The lights only work when it actually DID start.

* 90% of the time it won't make a peep, a few times it made a milli-second "grunt".

* It's never shut down WHILE driving. Once it is started, everything works perfectly.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

PS Is it possible I am wrong and it IS the battery? (But that doesn't explain why I can jump it with zero results and have it randomly start right up a few hours later without a jump).

Last edited by JennZ; 09-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 AM
92K1500

The battery could be so stone dead that it's absorbing all the charge from trying to jump without the car seeing any but that's unlikely. Sounds like you have a loose wire (possible ground) or a blown fuse.

I've also heard of people having issues with the IPDM.

I would first check the battery cables and make sure they are tight on each end and corrosion free. Then unhook one cable from the battery and hook your jump box or jumper cables up to the unhooked cable and the other battery terminal (take the in car battery out of the picture) and see if the car gets power then. If not it's a wiring/fusing/electrical issue.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 AM
POS VETT

Can you measure the battery voltage across the posts?

If you could get the engine running, could measure the battery voltage?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 AM
JennZ

Originally Posted by POS VETT
Can you measure the battery voltage across the posts?

If you could get the engine running, could measure the battery voltage?
Yes, when the car would actually start, the battery voltage meter worked and it was sitting around 65-70%
Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM
JennZ

I'm not sure if this matters but yesterday when I was trying to jump it directly to a truck, the car WOULD make one very short clicking noise (like a clock) every time I tried to crank it.)

I am going to attempt to pop the clutch later if I can round up a person to help me push it. (I am stranded away from home in a motel). lol
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM
92K1500

If the dash isn't coming on with the key you won't be able to push start it. The computer isn't on to tell it how to run once it sees the engine turning.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 PM
JennZ

I'm not sure if this tid-bit matters but it is a 2004 and only has 42,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner, it was treated right) however--- it has sat out in the scorching sun of Florida for the last 10 years.

If that helps?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
92K1500

I have an 04 with 110k miles and it has sat outside in the scorching Oklahoma sun for the last 6 years with no problem.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 AM
c41250n

maybe its a dead starter?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:46 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by JennZ
I'm not sure if this tid-bit matters but it is a 2004 and only has 42,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner, it was treated right) however--- it has sat out in the scorching sun of Florida for the last 10 years.

If that helps?
Have you ever replaced the battery? Check for terminal corrosion or ground connection. Best bet is to take the battery out and have it checked.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 PM
JennZ

**** UPDATE ****

Problem has become even worse.... PLEASE help!

- I bought a new battery and that seemed to do the trick (for about a month and it started dying again and starting with a jump, then died for good, AGAIN).

- I bought new connections for the terminals and that seemed to do the trick and then it just died all together.

- When I try to jump it, the "open door beeper" and gauges will light up for about 1/10th of a second and any attempt thereafter won't even produce a clicking noise-- you could hear a pin drop.

- I am stranded in a city, in a gross motel, I just lost my job and now my car can't get me out of here--- any serious suggestions wanted badly.

My biggest fear after doing a lot of research that it will be something as stupid as a lose wire that won't be discovered until I've replaced a bunch of parts that don't even need replacing because nobody will diagnose it right. At what point do you throw in the towel and sell it for parts to help pay for a new USED vehicle so you at least have transportation.

This may or may not matter. I did have a loud stereo system installed, however the problems started BEFORE I did so, but someone mentioned that because the subwoofers literally shake EVERYTHING in and on the car that maybe that is what did it in the 2nd time around and if this is true, WHAT could the vibrations have messed up?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM
qew

Sounds like an alternator issue. If you've bought a new battery and that fixed the issue for a month then started acting up that tells me it doesnt seem to be charging.Do yourself a favor and take it to a mechanic.If you want to keep trying to fix it get a cheap multimeter from harbor freight or something and check your battery voltage,before you start it,then jump start it and check the voltage while running on the battery and finally if you can access the alternator the big red wire coming from it to check your running voltage should be 13.5-14 volts.The selection on the multimeter will be a V with a line under it.Let us know what you do and what the outcome is.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

^No, it doesn't.

If it was the alternator, it would have started acting up right away.

Last edited by Syner; 12-10-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:48 PM
qew

^^^Yes it does! I'm speaking from experience and mechanical knowledge.

How do you explain it works fine for a month with a new battery. Then battery is dead again,yes it could be a slow surface draw but I've had a altima with the same engine, alternator would not act up right away but after about 45 minutes of driving.Therefore it doesn't always mean if its an alternator issue it would show right away.
Until these components are checked properly you cannot count them out.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by qew
^^^Yes it does! I'm speaking from experience and mechanical knowledge.

How do you explain it works fine for a month with a new battery. Then battery is dead again,yes it could be a slow surface draw but I've had a altima with the same engine, alternator would not act up right away but after about 45 minutes of driving.Therefore it doesn't always mean if its an alternator issue it would show right away.
Until these components are checked properly you cannot count them out.
How long do you think a car can run on battery power alone?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Charge the battery completely outside of the car and see if it starts
Old 12-12-2014, 01:08 PM
qew

Originally Posted by Syner
How long do you think a car can run on battery power alone?
The car will not run on the battery for very long at all it will die out.
Ok let me explain it again and straight to the point.If this person is in the situation Im describing where the alternator is going out, what I'm saying is the alternator is charging for a period of time while driving and then it stops charging after a certain point lets say after 30 minutes it stops charging,but its still driven for 10 minutes not charging,it still should have enough juice to start the next day and it goes on and on this way for weeks until it doesn't have enough to turn the engine over. Now remember I'm not saying this is what is happening but what may be happening from my experience. You can't just come on the forum and say thats not it without verifying its not these components.It could also be a slow discharge while the vehicle is parked,it could be a defective cell in the battery,this must be eliminated before you can state what you said.Just my perspective.This is where i would start and go from there.

Last edited by qew; 12-12-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by qew
The car will not run on the battery for very long at all it will die out.
Ok let me explain it again and straight to the point.If this person is in the situation Im describing where the alternator is going out, what I'm saying is the alternator is charging for a period of time while driving and then it stops charging after a certain point lets say after 30 minutes it stops charging,but its still driven for 10 minutes not charging,it still should have enough juice to start the next day and it goes on and on this way for weeks until it doesn't have enough to turn the engine over. Now remember I'm not saying this is what is happening but what may be happening from my experience. You can't just come on the forum and say thats not it without verifying its not these components.It could also be a slow discharge while the vehicle is parked,it could be a defective cell in the battery,this must be eliminated before you can state what you said.Just my perspective.This is where i would start and go from there.
I see; I thought you were saying the alternator was completely shot, and the car was just running on the battery for a month. My bad

Quick Reply: 2004 Z Randomly Died-- Now Dead for Good