Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD not transferring power.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 AM
SirMichael

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quaife LSD not transferring power.

So I have to ask and may be totally off base here but when say one of the rear wheels is lifted the power should be transferred to the one with traction, correct?

Here lately while autoXing in turns it seems as if I loose all power to the rear wheels I'm hoping this is not how the LSD is supposed to work.

It is the Quaife ATB Differential.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by SirMichael; 10-27-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Not with a Quaife, it becomes useless with a wheel in the air
Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 AM
SirMichael

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I didn't do enough research before I made that purchase. That sucks!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some have success in autox with the Quaife though. Maybe set the rear bar softer or no rear at all?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:14 PM
ShineMaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a quaife atb diff installed on my 350z. what it does is it biases torque to to the wheels in such as a way so that if you are in the middle of a turn and you hit the gas hard, the car will turn in harder, as if the outside wheel is pushing the nose of the car deeper into the turn. With just the stock open diff the inside rear wheel would spin harder and the rear of the car would just slide around into a wiggle or an unpredictable drift.

The ATB diff is better suited for a track car and not a drift car because it never fully locks the two rear wheels together, which is why if one wheel is in the air, it isnt going to lock the wheels together like a typical LSD. However, It does provide much better grip and acceleration out of turns, which means faster lap times... and if you do find yourself in a drift with the quaife, it is still much more predictable and easier to control than if you had the normal open diff. I love mine, in the rain I can drop to 2nd gear going 30mph and hit the gas, the wheels spin, and I can steer the car into controllable slide, but still keep the car moving in a straight line, it's lots of fun - and when you try to return the car back straight again, the atb diff helps to keep the car from shifting its weight the opposite way, which would be launching you sideways in the opposite direction, which would be surprising and scary and hard to recover from - which would be happening if you kept your open diff... With this ATB diff it keeps the car from doing lots of wierd things that it would be doing had you still been driving with your open diff.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That has nothing to do with what he asked.

If your not swapping your diff I would do what was suggested and adjust the suspension to try and keep the wheels on the ground.