Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

P0011 Code on my 2004 350Z

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Stevefromsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0011 Code on my 2004 350Z

I was driving home from work and for the first time my service engine soon light came on. When I got home not that much later my oil light came on. Because neither light had come on I didn't realize I was low on oil. The oil change place said I was running on only 1.5 quarts of oil. They added 2.5 quarts and the oil light no longer comes on. I went to another oil place that can read the codes and they said the P0011 code is what caused the service engine soon light to come on. They reset the service engine soon light and it hasn't come back on, but I haven't driven it that far. I'm worried about the fact that I was running on only 1.5 quarts of oil. Ant advice from someone that knows what this means would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevefromsd
I was driving home from work and for the first time my service engine soon light came on. When I got home not that much later my oil light came on. Because neither light had come on I didn't realize I was low on oil. The oil change place said I was running on only 1.5 quarts of oil. They added 2.5 quarts and the oil light no longer comes on. I went to another oil place that can read the codes and they said the P0011 code is what caused the service engine soon light to come on. They reset the service engine soon light and it hasn't come back on, but I haven't driven it that far. I'm worried about the fact that I was running on only 1.5 quarts of oil. Ant advice from someone that knows what this means would be appreciated.
that you need to check your oil more often
Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Stevefromsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankfully it was just the oil. I got it changed and the SES light never came back on. A friend of mine who likes to work on cars thinks the oil change place I originally got the oil changed at 3000 miles ago may have never put enough oil in. A co-worker who has a '03 350Z gave me a nightmare story of having the same code and his engine shutting off on him while he was driving on the freeway. His was the actual sensors.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:12 AM
dfj240

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I wanted to resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one since the title is appropriate for what I'm dealing with.

However, this noob has done quite a bit of research, but I've run into a spot of confusion that I'm hoping someone can clear up.

I do have the P0011 code, and that is the only code that I have. I have the usual VQ timing chain rattle at startup, but no other telling symptoms, just the code. Oil level is fine. Oil weight is fine. As far as I'm aware, the motor is original to the car with 198k miles.

My research has led me to narrow this down to the rear timing cover oil gallery gasket probably having a blowout, or at the very least a minor leak. My research has also led me to the fact that for the DE the gasket is not a separate entity and is simply part of the rear (or inner) timing cover from Nissan.

So my question is this... What is the correct part number for the rear timing cover? I'm getting conflicting info.

Courtesy Nissan, which is right down the road from my house, shows it as being 13500-AL615. Several other sources show this as well. The problem is that I'm also seeing 13500-AC710 as being the correct part number, which Courtesy shows as applying to the 2005 DE, but not the 03-04. Z1 shows the latter part number as applying to the 03-04 DE, as well as a few other sources.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pretty sizable parts order to do the timing chain service on my 03, but I would really like to avoid ordering the wrong parts and having to deal with returns, exchanges, favors for money I wish I hadn't spent, etc.

Hopefully, the research that I have done has warranted a spot of mercy, or perhaps at least allowed the flame to be cooled slightly before being applied.

Last edited by dfj240; 12-06-2015 at 12:13 AM.