Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Kaaz Super Q LSD! First impressions, two questions, and post drift day review.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:45 AM
BH!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kaaz Super Q LSD! First impressions, two questions, and post drift day review.

Hi guys,

Just installed my Kaaz 2 way and Whiteline subframe bushings. Install took about 7 hours using DIYs on this site, mostly hand tools in my garage. Used a sawzall on the bushings and air tools to break down the diff. Very straight forward, checked my lash with some paint on the ring gear.

First impressions are very good. This ****er is QUIET. One of the old s13s I had came with a 1.5 way Kaaz "normal" diff that chattered all the time. I have yet to hear this thing clunk once, but I can feel it slip as it should when the clutch is in.

The only thing that is curious is that it seems very very very tight. Maybe because this is my first 2 way, or because it is brand new, but it seems to want to drag tire like a welded diff in parking lots unless the clutch is in. Is this normal for a new 2 way? Should I do the figure 8 break in? (Kaaz says Super Qs require NO break in procedure). When the diff does disengage you can feel it ratchet but you cannot hear it, so the "Super Q" is definitely quiet. I just thought it would slip a little bit more, right now if it is in gear, throttle or no throttle, it seems to be locked. Maybe a little slip through intersections, I can't really tell because it is so damn smooth and quiet haha. I'm assuming it will loosen up with time and wear but any input is appreciated.

Regardless, I love this thing. I pushes like all hell in freeway interchanges, grip is immediate. I shift-locked the hell out of 4th gear too and sure enough, both tires locked instantly. Also, the Whiteline bushings seem to keep the noise very tame, virtually no vibration either (I have coils and arms though so the car already shakes like earthquake). I cannot notice a noise difference at all at highway speed unless the radio is completely muted. Very satisfied. Totally streetable at least by my standards.

(post VLSD removal question)
One other question about my VLSD removal. I thought that the right side stub axle was supposed to come out with the C-clip, just like the shorter left axle, so I fished around in my VLSD and pulled it out. I then found out I'm an idiot because the Kaaz already has one in it and the clip should remain in the VLSD. I'm good to just pop the C-clip back in right? I want to keep this diff incase I return the car to stock when I get bored and want another project.

I will be doing a two day drift event at PARC in OR this Memorial weekend so stay tuned for a more in-depth review. I drifted this same track with my VLSD a month or two ago so I hope I can provide some good feedback. Stay tuned
Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Per KAAZ website the Super Q does not need a break in. That is not to say it wont break in some over time.

http://www.kaazusa.com/superq/

Where is the diff set locking percentage wise (ie. how are the clutch plates stacked)?

Yes if you are on-throttle it is normal for a differential like this to drag the inside tire...thats how you know its doing its job...especially if it is set to use 100% or 80% of the total clutch friction surfaces available on each axle.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM
BH!

The diff was dropped in as it came out of the box but no matter, it has loosened up after the event and round trip from Seattle to OR and back.

Impressions, fantastic. Again on the highway, still very quiet, it unlocks a little easier now in tight spaces such as parking lots but is also a little louder. Still, nothing like a normal 2 way.

Drifting impressions are great. Transitions are made much faster and power transfer is immediate. The best part is I'm now able to connect turns 3, 4 and 5 into one long sweep without straightening out. The shallower angle between corners was hard to hold on the VLSD, I think I only got it once last time and it was a struggle.

One bad thing about the whiteline diff bushings... They did their job too well and now my drivers side rear most subframe bushing is blown out black goo everywhere. Ohhhh well.

Video soon.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by BH!
The diff was dropped in as it came out of the box but no matter, it has loosened up after the event and round trip from Seattle to OR and back.

Impressions, fantastic. Again on the highway, still very quiet, it unlocks a little easier now in tight spaces such as parking lots but is also a little louder. Still, nothing like a normal 2 way.

Drifting impressions are great. Transitions are made much faster and power transfer is immediate. The best part is I'm now able to connect turns 3, 4 and 5 into one long sweep without straightening out. The shallower angle between corners was hard to hold on the VLSD, I think I only got it once last time and it was a struggle.

One bad thing about the whiteline diff bushings... They did their job too well and now my drivers side rear most subframe bushing is blown out black goo everywhere. Ohhhh well.

Video soon.
They are not oil filled if I remember from swapping mine. They are soft garbage and think that Whiteline subframe bushings are a huge improvement. What you are seeing is oil from your diff vented into the subframe , I get it too, and will bet lots of money that it's not my solid aluminum bushings leaking oil.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
BH!

Really?

Is this where the breather drops extra fluid?

Old 06-06-2015, 08:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Yup, the breather is connected to the subframe and fluid enters the subframe, then leaks out the back. My drivers side rear is covered and I need to build a catch can will looped hose to keep it from happening.