Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil Catch Can Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Oil Catch Can Question

I currently have a catch can spliced in the passenger side pcv line. Eventually, I will splice the driver side pcv line to the can as well with some T-Fittings. Question is, has anyone ever used a breather filter with their set up? After installing the supplied filter that came with my can, it creates a big vacuum leak. I understand that one side has a positive pressure and one side has a negative pressure. If I splice both sides into my catch can, will I be able to use the breather filter without getting a vacuum leak (rough idle>) Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:57 PM
CNunes_95

Also, does anyone know the size of the breather hose coming from the driver side valve cover and into the intake pipe? I know the passenger size is 3/8" hose. Not sure if the driver side is the same.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I did a quick measure on a second set of valve covers off a 2004 and the ID of the drivers side rear port was 7/16 (.42") and the OD was 5/8th (.62").
Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Bigsyke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CNunes_95
I currently have a catch can spliced in the passenger side pcv line. Eventually, I will splice the driver side pcv line to the can as well with some T-Fittings. Question is, has anyone ever used a breather filter with their set up? After installing the supplied filter that came with my can, it creates a big vacuum leak. I understand that one side has a positive pressure and one side has a negative pressure. If I splice both sides into my catch can, will I be able to use the breather filter without getting a vacuum leak (rough idle>) Thanks guys!

If you are going to have any vacuum source, you can only install the catch can inline with the passenger PCV hose. You can't run the breather on the can or you will create a very large vacuum leak.

The drivers side inlet hose must remain stock.

If you are going to use the breather, you must cap the plenum vacuum port and the intake pipe port, and vent both valve covers or run them to a vented can.

If you vent to the atmosphere and don't drill the PCV valve out, you will have problems.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM
CNunes_95

Originally Posted by Bigsyke
If you are going to have any vacuum source, you can only install the catch can inline with the passenger PCV hose. You can't run the breather on the can or you will create a very large vacuum leak.

The drivers side inlet hose must remain stock.

If you are going to use the breather, you must cap the plenum vacuum port and the intake pipe port, and vent both valve covers or run them to a vented can.

If you vent to the atmosphere and don't drill the PCV valve out, you will have problems.
My catch can has one inlet fitting and one outlet fitting with the baffle on the inlet side. With that, I guess I won't be able to cap any ports with the type of catch can im using. I noticed that the intake pipe runs to another source, that's not the plenum. Can't I just splice the driver's side valve cover port, which runs to the upper plenum, to the inlet hose of the catch can with a T-fitting and splice the upper plenum port to the outlet hose of the catch can with another T-fitting?