Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Am i running that lean to cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 AM
quickspeed6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i running that lean to cause this?

Ok i am going to make this short and sweet...

I took my 2005 g35 to the track last year for the first time with just intake and ran best of 14.2@98 with a 2.1 60ft

1 year later i have since added a kenetix ssv intake and 2009 maxima throttle body and had my timing advanced .2 degrees with osirus cable (via friend). I have not gotten tuned as of yet but i took it to the track last weekend and could only manage a few 15 second passes...WTH The car feels pretty strong on the street and it doesnt FEEL like a 15 second car. At a lose here....
Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

As it was said on g35driver itll be said here. You mods are hurting you, temp, humidity, track conditions, tires condition all contributes to the time.

There no need to come here and spam this thread when you question has already been discussed on g35driver.

You may not agreed with the people who have experience and know what theyre talking about doesnt mean thwyre wrong.

But just to avoid your farther spam, ill tell you what you want to hear even though it's a god damn lie, "yes youre lean and its causing you to run .7 sec slower."

Edit: here is your original thread that had been discussed and question answered

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/450268-am-i-lean-something-else.html

Last edited by turboed350z; 07-14-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 AM
quickspeed6

I appreciated the answer that was giving over there as well. Also i was not looking for a specific answer persay. When i threw in the cat issue as a possible cause it was because i had an issue with another one of my turbo cars and it progressively got worse and worse until i took out the car and voila the car had its ***** back. I realized that is was a flow issue in that case.

Now you say that the mods i have have caused a power lose.... ok no problem. But from i also understand is without tuning all the flow mods will lean the car out and thus loose power as well correct? So to my next question is once i get it tuned with the mods i have, will they start to prove to be beneficial or are they still bad choices even in that retrospect?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 AM
turboed350z

If a steak is overcooked, adding extra suace might make it taste better, but its still over cooked. A properly cooked steak with sauce is going to tastes best.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:54 AM
quickspeed6

Originally Posted by turboed350z
If a steak is overcooked, adding extra suace might make it taste better, but its still over cooked. A properly cooked steak with sauce is going to tastes best.
Got the analogy, so i am trying to apply it ok. So everyone has some sorta intake on their car as i believe you do also... most have an upgraded throttle, now the kenetix intake i understand about that one so if in your analogy the overcooked steak is the intake then i will look into that as the issue. Not the complete issue but possibly the flame that is over cooking my steak?

As for tuning i know with out tuning you can ad all the mods you want to but you will not get the full benefit of what it has to offer until you get the proper tuning. Just dont understand how this will make the steak taste worse?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by quickspeed6
Got the analogy, so i am trying to apply it ok. So everyone has some sorta intake on their car as i believe you do also... most have an upgraded throttle, now the kenetix intake i understand about that one so if in your analogy the overcooked steak is the intake then i will look into that as the issue. Not the complete issue but possibly the flame that is over cooking my steak?

As for tuning i know with out tuning you can ad all the mods you want to but you will not get the full benefit of what it has to offer until you get the proper tuning. Just dont understand how this will make the steak taste worse?

Not all air intake are the same.

And certain mods without tunes xan indeed make your car run worse. Turbo without a tune is a good example. Too much air not enough fuel will make your car run worse. Too much fuel and not enough air will make your car run worse. The idea with tunes is to get the right amount of air and fuel.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 AM
quickspeed6

Not all air intake are the same.

And certain mods without tunes xan indeed make your car run worse. Turbo without a tune is a good example. Too much air not enough fuel will make your car run worse. Too much fuel and not enough air will make your car run worse. The idea with tunes is to get the right amount of air and fuel.
Exactly hence the reason i was leading to the fact of tuning as being helpful to my situation. All the air mods and no fuel..... Guys look i am not a hard head and i understand what you guys are saying as i am not NEW to the world of racing but i am new to NON turbo cars.

I understand that mods can give or take a COUPLE(3-5) maybe of hp alot based on the tune or lack there of once the part is installed. But to loose 1 sec you have to have a very bad tune or loosed A LOT of hp 20+ to loose 1 sec.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:01 AM
turboed350z

Exactly hence the reason i was leading to the fact of tuning as being helpful to my situation. All the air mods and no fuel..... Guys look i am not a hard head and i understand what you guys are saying as i am not NEW to the world of racing but i am new to NON turbo cars.

I understand that mods can give or take a COUPLE(3-5) maybe of hp alot based on the tune or lack there of once the part is installed. But to loose 1 sec you have to have a very bad tune or loosed A LOT of hp 20+ to loose 1 sec.

Not really, how do i explain this... track conditions can add .2, tempt can add .1, hunidity another .1 gas quality can be .05 tires can be .2, bad mods can be another .2, more gas than previous run, aka full vs near empty can be .1, driver error can be .5.

Too many variable and it all adds up. Ive seen pros runs .5 of their best, constant, and average time all the time.

The mods sure isnt helping and a tune with those mods are only a bandaid. If you have a 3in gash, a bandaid will stop it from bleeding, but stitches will help it heals.

Not trying to be a dick, but as others said, your mods are NOT helping you. Ditch em and just get a tune if you want more power.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 AM
quickspeed6

Not really, how do i explain this... track conditions can add .2, tempt can add .1, hunidity another .1 gas quality can be .05 tires can be .2, bad mods can be another .2, more gas than previous run, aka full vs near empty can be .1, driver error can be .5.

Too many variable and it all adds up. Ive seen pros runs .5 of their best, constant, and average time all the time.

The mods sure isnt helping and a tune with those mods are only a bandaid. If you have a 3in gash, a bandaid will stop it from bleeding, but stitches will help it heals.

Not trying to be a dick, but as others said, your mods are NOT helping you. Ditch em and just get a tune if you want more power.
Agreed.... Horse is dead.. Thanks for everyones help with this matter.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Art pipes made my car slower and run like **** without a tune. Slapping mods on and calling it a day will indeed hurt performance. Tunes are needed to make everything work together.
The following users liked this post:
quickspeed6 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Art pipes made my car slower and run like **** without a tune. Slapping mods on and calling it a day will indeed hurt performance. Tunes are needed to make everything work together.
agree, but you lost torque mostly. op did a lot of breathing mods so he is lean and lost torque

Last edited by travlee; 07-14-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:58 AM
quickspeed6

Default just doing some research and came across this..

Hey guys just read this and i would think that Z1 is pretty reputable on here and it seems like they made power over the spacer on a stock car with that SSV..

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...-manifold.html
Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 AM
turboed350z

Yet so many have lost power....idk though...not like there are other variables when it comes to moding....

But go ahead and defend the svv and ill just chalk the bad timeup to bad driver....
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 AM
quickspeed6

Again not trying to argue or defend any mods as I have stated to you before I have been modding cars for 20+ years so I do understand that just because it works for one doesn't mean it works for all.. again I don't really race this car per say as the last time I took it to the track was a year ago so it could be partly driver. Again this was the reason I left it in "d" to see what it would do with as little driver error as possible. Just when you tell me that this mod only looses power I am trying to research why does it. I have seen and heard of intakes making and loosing hp as well but people still put them on their cars. I am just trying to figure out why and make my decision from there. Also you have to understand that the person I got it from had pretty good success with also... again doesn't mean it going to be passed down to me though I got that...

Last edited by quickspeed6; 07-15-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:52 AM
turboed350z

You got it from a maxima....their vq and our vq are tuned diffetently (i belive) that means a mid that barely adds anything to our vq, will see noticeable gains with them.

Ssv has been proven that it works best on fi motors. I counted atleast 5 people who are telling you, youre lossing power, you find ONE example as to where it makes power. And we arent even sure it was in a controlled condition.

I can get 5 different number from 5 different run on the same dyno in my car, so dyno isnt as accurate as people make it out to be, its a bench numer, an educated guess at best.

Idk why you want to continue this, people are telling you, youve lost power, variables have changed, lots are contributing to the different times. Idk what else can be said other than, throw your car on the dyno.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 AM
quickspeed6

You got it from a maxima....their vq and our vq are tuned diffetently (i belive) that means a mid that barely adds anything to our vq, will see noticeable gains with them.

Ssv has been proven that it works best on fi motors. I counted atleast 5 people who are telling you, youre lossing power, you find ONE example as to where it makes power. And we arent even sure it was in a controlled condition.

I can get 5 different number from 5 different run on the same dyno in my car, so dyno isnt as accurate as people make it out to be, its a bench numer, an educated guess at best.

Idk why you want to continue this, people are telling you, youve lost power, variables have changed, lots are contributing to the different times. Idk what else can be said other than, throw your car on the dyno.

Ok i thought i explained this in the last post but i see i am frustrating you with this so i'll just leave it alone and once i find out more about MY situation whether it be on your guys side or on my side wither way i will post MY findings ok... FAIR

Also just because i go it from a 2009 maxima it shouldn't matter what their computer is tuned to do with the throttle as the throttle now is running off our ecu tuning. Only thing the ECU is doing is telling the throttle when to open and shut and how much with a give voltage correct? The throttle is larger than our stock one ... cant remember the size difference but i will post later if anyone wants to know.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 AM
turboed350z

Ok i thought i explained this in the last post but i see i am frustrating you with this so i'll just leave it alone and once i find out more about MY situation whether it be on your guys side or on my side wither way i will post MY findings ok... FAIR

Also just because i go it from a 2009 maxima it shouldn't matter what their computer is tuned to do with the throttle as the throttle now is running off our ecu tuning. Only thing the ECU is doing is telling the throttle when to open and shut and how much with a give voltage correct? The throttle is larger than our stock one ... cant remember the size difference but i will post later if anyone wants to know.

Our car is tuned for our parts.... adding bigger parts doesn't mean power gains. Again, throw it on the dyno and youll know if its lean or not.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 AM
quickspeed6

Our car is tuned for our parts.... adding bigger parts doesn't mean power gains. Again, throw it on the dyno and youll know if its lean or not.
Ok "wait and minute"( katt willliams voice lol) now help me understand this.... Again i understand that EVERYTHING needs to be tuned for the most optimal performance out of it cool... But if i throw on a bigger throttle just like putting on a larger MAF or other such SENSORS that have a common Voltage range of operation. Wouldn't that be based upon the voltage supplied by every ECU that is in the car regardless of where it came from as long as you can wire it up? If .5 volts is full throttle and the throttle works on a .0~.5v table. Then how does the throttle or any other part need to be tuned to the car? i would figure it should be done the other way around .. meaning the car needs to be tuned to the part? understand...

This is the throttle i have on my car and it looks like its larger than the NWP throttle... This looks like a 3.5in(88mm throttle)http://maxima.org/forums/5th-generat...p-5-5-gen.html

Last edited by quickspeed6; 07-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM
turboed350z

Larger isnt always better, back to meat, if you have a perfectly build burger, but then you switch out the buns for bigger buns, in theory, you have a bigger burger right? But most of that burger is now bread and little meat. It may be bigger, but its not going to tastes as good since the meat and bun ratio is off.

Yes its working fine, but more air, less fuel, your ratio are off, which in turn hurts performance.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Quick Reply: Am i running that lean to cause this?