Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Full cooling system upgrade advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:57 PM
sparticus13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full cooling system upgrade advice.

Hi guys,

I need to replace the thermostat in my Z and have decided that I would like to give the whole cooling system and overhaul. I'm looking for some advice on product selection. I own a 2007 Automatic 350Z. I use it as a daily driver. I don't track the car but I do drive it hard at times and enjoy some spirited runs here and there. I plan to later get into some other mods that would play nicer with an upgraded cooling system.

I'm looking to replace the thermostat, radiator, rad cap, fans/shrouds, hoses. I don't want a giant radiator that takes up all the space and want it to fit with the stock mounts.

Because I have an automatic most aftermarket radiators do not have the built in cooler for the AF. I need to get separate AF cooler. I have seen plenty of models but I'm not sure if they are designed to be used with the existing stock radiator cooler to boost cooling under hard conditions or if they can be used to completely replace it. Obviously I need one that can replace the stock built in radiator one.

I really like the setup posted here using all Mizu parts.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...with-pics.html

Looks like it fits very well without modification. I noticed the hoses and radiator part numbers show for 2003-2009 years but the fan and shroud kit FS-350Z-03 only shows 2003-2006.

Any ideas if this fan/should will work in the 2007 and if the plugs are direct fit? Or any alternative recommendations?

As for the thermostat should I stick with OEM or go with a cooler model. I was looking at the NISMO R model 21200-THRMA or the Mishimoto MMTS-350Z-07. I live in Portland OR so normally it''s not very hot here (except this year 102 today). Maybe it does not make sense to have a cooler thermostat. What do you guys think?

Again the major goal here is to be able to have everything mount without any modification and not take up all the space. Also what model of AF cooler to get and where to place it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:40 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds like a solution without a problem. I must be missing something.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:14 PM
sparticus13

I do need a new thermostat. You can call that the problem. I have been thinking about doing a cooling upgrade for a little bit and now that I need to go through the effort of draining and refilling the cooling system to replace the thermostat I was thinking of doing as much as I could. I plan to later work on FI mods and would benefit form a better cooling system then. I'm just picking something to start working on is all.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:19 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Cooling is a great start for FI down the road, that radiator will not fit anything past 06 , no idea on the shroud.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Filling the cooling system is made MUCH easier if you have one of these:

Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive
Old 08-01-2015, 04:55 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Can't go wrong with mishimoto op
Old 08-02-2015, 01:52 PM
sparticus13

Originally Posted by dcains
Filling the cooling system is made MUCH easier if you have one of these:

Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive
Yup I got one of those. When I fist got the car I changed all the fluids. I saw others were recommending it and I did work well.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Mishimoto
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sparticus13
Hi guys,

I need to replace the thermostat in my Z and have decided that I would like to give the whole cooling system and overhaul. I'm looking for some advice on product selection. I own a 2007 Automatic 350Z. I use it as a daily driver. I don't track the car but I do drive it hard at times and enjoy some spirited runs here and there. I plan to later get into some other mods that would play nicer with an upgraded cooling system.

I'm looking to replace the thermostat, radiator, rad cap, fans/shrouds, hoses. I don't want a giant radiator that takes up all the space and want it to fit with the stock mounts.

Because I have an automatic most aftermarket radiators do not have the built in cooler for the AF. I need to get separate AF cooler. I have seen plenty of models but I'm not sure if they are designed to be used with the existing stock radiator cooler to boost cooling under hard conditions or if they can be used to completely replace it. Obviously I need one that can replace the stock built in radiator one.

I really like the setup posted here using all Mizu parts.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...with-pics.html

Looks like it fits very well without modification. I noticed the hoses and radiator part numbers show for 2003-2009 years but the fan and shroud kit FS-350Z-03 only shows 2003-2006.

Any ideas if this fan/should will work in the 2007 and if the plugs are direct fit? Or any alternative recommendations?

As for the thermostat should I stick with OEM or go with a cooler model. I was looking at the NISMO R model 21200-THRMA or the Mishimoto MMTS-350Z-07. I live in Portland OR so normally it''s not very hot here (except this year 102 today). Maybe it does not make sense to have a cooler thermostat. What do you guys think?

Again the major goal here is to be able to have everything mount without any modification and not take up all the space. Also what model of AF cooler to get and where to place it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Originally Posted by sparticus13
I do need a new thermostat. You can call that the problem. I have been thinking about doing a cooling upgrade for a little bit and now that I need to go through the effort of draining and refilling the cooling system to replace the thermostat I was thinking of doing as much as I could. I plan to later work on FI mods and would benefit form a better cooling system then. I'm just picking something to start working on is all.
Sounds like you are on the right track for some preventative maintenance. We should be able to provide some assistance with selecting the correct components for your Z.

Thermostat
Being that you noted your stock unit needs to be replaced, I would assume it has failed in some way. The key is to replace this as quickly as possible so additional damage is not caused to your vehicle. Selecting between a standard or low-temperature unit can be tough. Assuming you live in a relatively cool climate and do not intend to track the car, the standard temperature unit is likely adequate for you. If you see FI or track driving in the not-so-distant future, it may be wise to throw the low temperature in while you are replacing it now. For street use, the OEM temperature (activation at 170F) will be just fine.

Radiator
Plastic end tanks are a liability on older vehicles. The plastic degrades through constant heat cycling and can eventually fail in catastrophic fashion. Replacing this component is a wise move in terms of reliability. Although our aluminum counterpart is thicker than the stock unit (by nearly an inch), it is a direct-fit piece and will drop into place like the OEM unit.

Transmission Cooler
As you mentioned, going with an aluminum radiator will require the use of an external transmission cooler. We have several options which should be easy to fit to your vehicle. These are organized by size/shape, which will need to be evaluated based on the space in the front-bumper area of the Z.

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-t...n-coolers.html

Radiator Hoses
If you are replacing the components above, the hoses are a no-brainer. Over time, rubber hoses will swell and harden. I would recommend replacing these with rubber counterparts at the least, silicone pieces are also an option. Silicone will provide some extended reliability and handle heat and pressure a bit better. We have a kit specific for the 07-09 Z.

We do not have a direct-fit shroud specifically for the 07-09 models. Our radiator is fully compatible with the stock shroud, which typically provides ample airflow for stock and mildly modified vehicles.

Let me know if I can answer any additional questions!

Originally Posted by kno
Can't go wrong with mishimoto op
Thanks for the kind words!

-John