Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Can anyone identify conecting rods ???plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:27 PM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can anyone identify conecting rods ???plz

So my friend from work is going FI and he has turbo kit already...he found someone parting out built z
And he is thinking about buying his shortblock... supposely forged rods and pistons etc etc
Are those aftermarket rods?
Looks oem to me
Only pics he sent meName:  20150815_200351_zpsi50uxqsu.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  155.0 KB
Name:  20150815_200346_zpslygml4t4.jpg
Size:  171.5 KB
Name:  20150815_200342_zpstufpuqlf.jpg
Size:  184.6 KB
Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 AM
wisniaPl

Anyone. Can help tell me is they are stock?
He claims shop built his engine

More picsName:  20150816_112510_zps78vzw3kv.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  197.7 KB

Name:  20150816_112445_zpsmijvdpzg.jpg
Size:  159.7 KB
Old 08-16-2015, 09:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

It's impossible to visually verify the type of rods by just looking at the end caps. Tell your buddy that if he's serious about buying this short block, he should at least disassemble it to verify the condition of the rod and main bearings. In the process, he can verify the type of rods being used.

He'll have to pay for it, of course, but a reputable seller should be willing to go along with that arrangement.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:32 AM
wisniaPl

Originally Posted by dkmura
It's impossible to visually verify the type of rods by just looking at the end caps. Tell your buddy that if he's serious about buying this short block, he should at least disassemble it to verify the condition of the rod and main bearings. In the process, he can verify the type of rods being used.

He'll have to pay for it, of course, but a reputable seller should be willing to go along with that arrangement.
Really every aftermaked rod picture online has bottom part rounded...only stock one has square is thing on the bottom part... So disassemlby is the only way to verify?
The reason to get shortblock for him its fully assembled and dyno sheet show what power it made before he decided to part it out
Can you put camera scope and see markings on pistons? They should have reliev marks stock are all flat?
Old 08-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Wisnia, I don’t know anything about connecting rods and such, but it seems like you have a good train of thought here. Why don’t you google “forged rods for 350Z” and then hit the image tab to compare the end caps to the ones in the photo. Also google OEM 350Z rods to see it they are exactly like the ones pictured in your post.

Is not a ‘short block’ an engine without cylinder heads? If so, you shouldn’t need a camera scope to see the tops of the pistons, you should also be able to examine the condition of the cylinder bores.

Unfortunately the Z has become the car of punks, hoodlums and outright thieves. So a lot caution must be used in buying any used parts or components. I wonder if the Aston Martin people have this problem. After all, Aston’s long time slogan has been “Built by gentlemen for gentlemen” I wonder if they will even sell to women, or punks, or hoodlums.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by wisniaPl
Really every aftermaked rod picture online has bottom part rounded...only stock one has square is thing on the bottom part... So disassemlby is the only way to verify?
The reason to get shortblock for him its fully assembled and dyno sheet show what power it made before he decided to part it out
Can you put camera scope and see markings on pistons? They should have reliev marks stock are all flat?
There's only so much you can guess from online pics. But having inspected and installed high-end rods from Carillo in Nissan race motors, there's no SURE way to tell, short of disassembly. My GUESS is that this build used stock rods that were worked with ARP rod bolts, but that all it is...a guess.

However, if the only reason preventing you from doing a disassembly and thorough inspection b/c you're trying to save money than just say you're willing to gamble on this purchase. And do a little more research on the VQ35DE pistons- they are not just flat tops.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:05 PM
wisniaPl

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Wisnia, I don’t know anything about connecting rods and such, but it seems like you have a good train of thought here. Why don’t you google “forged rods for 350Z” and then hit the image tab to compare the end caps to the ones in the photo. Also google OEM 350Z rods to see it they are exactly like the ones pictured in your post.

Is not a ‘short block’ an engine without cylinder heads? If so, you shouldn’t need a camera scope to see the tops of the pistons, you should also be able to examine the condition of the cylinder bores.

Unfortunately the Z has become the car of punks, hoodlums and outright thieves. So a lot caution must be used in buying any used parts or components. I wonder if the Aston Martin people have this problem. After all, Aston’s long time slogan has been “Built by gentlemen for gentlemen” I wonder if they will even sell to women, or punks, or hoodlums.
I just compared pics online and thats how it looks like
Only stock rods have that square on the bottom all aftermarket are rounded
That is picture from forged perfromance
Notice bottoms of connecting rods
And then look at pic seller snapped
Looks square aka stock rod?

Name:  20150816_112510_zps78vzw3kv.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  197.7 KB

Name:  d_23_01_zps4qso21uu.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  68.4 KB
Originally Posted by dkmura

He'll have to pay for it, of course, but a reputable seller
should be willing to go along with that arrangement.
Its not me, its my friend
He is going fi and he is thinking of purchasing whole long block from a guy localy... Do you think private person would disassemble it for peoole to examine?.....then it kills the whole purpose of buying assembled engine
ill advice him againsst buying it once again
Just find it weird there is nothing to confirm my findings

Last edited by wisniaPl; 08-17-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Why doesn't your friend ask to see the invoice from the build?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:31 PM
wisniaPl

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
Why doesn't your friend ask to see the invoice from the build?
After seing pictures? Why would i believe a piece of paper that can be easily created?....Im 99% sure those rods are stock now matter what he or his shop told him...he either got srewed by the shop with his built or he is trying to screw someone that cant connect one thing with other...
Factas speak for themself

Last edited by wisniaPl; 08-18-2015 at 03:09 AM.