Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Crank Shaft Pulley tools advice.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 AM
sparticus13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank Shaft Pulley tools advice.

Hey all!

I'm planning on doing some work with my belts and pulleys. Have an idler and AC clutch bearing starting to go and need to be replaced. While I'm doing this I am planning on replacing the crank pulley and alternator pulley with the light weight UR ones. Going to be using the stock diameter for normal belt so no under drive.

Anyways I was looking at the FSM for the removal and install of the crank pulley. I plan on getting the ring gear stop tool that is mentioned to lock the crank while I loosen/tighten the bolt. I did this once before on a different car with out it and it sucked. Took for ever, used the starter trick, etc. Not wanting to do that for my 350z. So I'm going to get the lock tool and a impact gun and compressor to aid with the bolt removal. Any suggestions on impact tools would be welcome.

I am specifically wondering what puller tool to use to remove the crank pulley once the bolt is loose. The FSM just says a suitable one. Last time I did this on my old 97 Stratus V6 it was a PAIN in getting the right puller. Had to rent a few different ones to get it. I really don't want to rent one, I'd rather buy a nice tool. So any of you guys done this already and have any recommendations on a good suitable puller?

Any other advice for this procedure is welcome!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM
sparticus13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh also I think I should replace the crank oil seal while I have access to it. The FSM refers to removing the front timing case/cover first. I don't want to do that and have to re seal all that. Any recommendations on seal puller and press tools to use for this while the case is still on? Also should the new seal be greased at all before install?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Pass on the lightweight crank pulley. No harmonic balancer. I bought my car with one, took it off and returned it to stock.

I used a piston stopper screwed into the spark plug spot to stop the engine from moving when I took my bolt off. You could use rope(i would have used rope next time)

I didn't need a puller for mine
Old 11-02-2015, 07:39 AM
thekyledeg

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Once the bolt breaks loose you shouldnt need a puller. Someone red-locktited mine on and I had to use a 5/8 impact "big bertha" to remove it. Even after that it just slid right off the crank.