Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Replacement for an OEM clutch

Old 12-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Smokey Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement for an OEM clutch

So I bought an 06 350z about a month ago and everything's been going smooth, but the clutch needs to be replaced badly. When it's anything under 65 degrees outside my clutch won't disengage all the way and it's next to impossible to put it in reverse without letting it sit at idle for a few minutes. It also slips like a mother f###er.

So I took it to a mechanic and the dude quoted me 900 for an OEM clutch kit (without the flywheel) with labor included. The clutch kit he found was around 450 so it's not bad.

"But why is this idiot making a thread about it?" you might me thinking.
Well f### you, here's why.

I'm looking at getting a mild aftermarket clutch kit instead of the OEM one, and I wanted to get some opinions on my picks. I'm not looking to get anything too crazy and I live in LA, so I don't want anything more heavy than a stage 1 clutch. My car's all stock except for the exhaust and I'm planning on keeping it that way, so I don't need to support more power or a turbo set up any time soon.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Exedy:
Amazon.com: EXEDY NSK1000 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: EXEDY NSK1000 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit: Automotive

Z1 mild clutch:
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...it-p-3052.html

I've been hearing a lot about the JWT clutch and flywheel combo, but I'm not replacing the flywheel and i haven't found the clutch kit by itself for sale.

Let me know what you think, and suggestions are more than welcome.

Here she is with the v1 rep spoiler that's gonna disappear soon.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
So I bought an 06 350z about a month ago and everything's been going smooth, but the clutch needs to be replaced badly. When it's anything under 65 degrees outside my clutch won't disengage all the way and it's next to impossible to put it in reverse without letting it sit at idle for a few minutes. It also slips like a mother f###er.

So I took it to a mechanic and the dude quoted me 900 for an OEM clutch kit (without the flywheel) with labor included. The clutch kit he found was around 450 so it's not bad.

"But why is this idiot making a thread about it?" you might me thinking.
Well f### you, here's why.

I'm looking at getting a mild aftermarket clutch kit instead of the OEM one, and I wanted to get some opinions on my picks. I'm not looking to get anything too crazy and I live in LA, so I don't want anything more heavy than a stage 1 clutch. My car's all stock except for the exhaust and I'm planning on keeping it that way, so I don't need to support more power or a turbo set up any time soon.

edited........

I've been hearing a lot about the JWT clutch and flywheel combo, but I'm not replacing the flywheel and i haven't found the clutch kit by itself for sale.

Let me know what you think, and suggestions are more than welcome.

]
JWT clutches are about the most oft quoted units on the market - pretty much the "standard" replacement.

They're available a la carte from lots of vendors that sponsor this site. Here's one....

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...ion.php?II=323
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

if you have it apart, why not replace the flywheel.....not to mention there is no telling what shape it is in. spend more now to save more later (aka, don't do it twice)

Last edited by travlee; 12-30-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Smokey Bear

yeah, getting a new flywheel would be the smart thing to do, but my wallet doesn't exactly allow for it right now....

Are the other clutch kits i linked out to garbage compared to the JWT clutch kit? and would you guys recommend the JWT clutch for daily driving over OEM?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:33 PM
travlee
Master

have you tried a complete fluid flush and bleed? cheap and might buy you some time
Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Smokey Bear

To my understanding a flush could help with the shifting in cold weather and give me a more consistent engagement point, but the main problem is the gear slipping. Corollas are passing me at green lights cause of the slipping lol.

So, are you saying i should just bleed the clutch fluid and wait until I can afford a clutch and flywheel?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:52 PM
travlee
Master

i mean do what you gotta do, but like i said... there is no telling what the flywheel looks like. what if you get it all down, and the flywheel is fubar what would you do. would you be dead in the water as this is your daily or would you be okay for a bit being undriveable?
Old 12-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Smokey Bear

True, that would definitely suck. On the other hand the car doesn't have very high mileage(69k) so I'm optimistic about the flywheel...
Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM
RWDBajan

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the same Exedy clutch and had the dealer fit it to my 03 about 3 months ago. No issues whatsoever. I have about 85k miles on it (car, not clutch). Didn't change the flywheel either. Why spend double the money if you're not adding power or tracking the car?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

because its best to do it all.

I plan on clutch, flywheel, Master and slave next year. A long with a 50/50 mix of Redline and Motul in the trans cause my 100% Motul is meh and i RJM told me a mixture would help. Motul is fine but getting into gears for the first couple miles is pretty bad. Once warm its all gravy
Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 PM
RWDBajan

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
because its best to do it all.
I was referring to the clutch brand specifically. The Exedy is fine.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 225k on my original clutch and flywheel. Is that that unusual? I don't beat the car, and I don't lift RPM beyond necessary to engage (no engine luggin ever), but I don't baby it either.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I would probably grab this if it's in your budget https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...bo-p-2405.html

Now for the JWT thing, believe it or not, the JWT clutch is an Excedy organic. Same clutch. I had JWT the first time, now Excedy in my car.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:27 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Heritage
I have 225k on my original clutch and flywheel. Is that that unusual? I don't beat the car, and I don't lift RPM beyond necessary to engage (no engine luggin ever), but I don't baby it either.
I don't think so... If the cars not beaten on im sure the oem clutch will hold up like a champ. If you drag race between every light probably not going to hold up great.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Smokey Bear

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I would probably grab this if it's in your budget https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...bo-p-2405.html

Now for the JWT thing, believe it or not, the JWT clutch is an Excedy organic. Same clutch. I had JWT the first time, now Excedy in my car.

So would you recommend the z1 motorsport clutch kit over the exedy one? the price is very tempting on the exedy clutch kit

[Edit: Is it a pain in the *** to change the clutch myself? If i can do it I'll be able to afford a flywheel]

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01-01-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
So would you recommend the z1 motorsport clutch kit over the exedy one? the price is very tempting on the exedy clutch kit

[Edit: Is it a pain in the *** to change the clutch myself? If i can do it I'll be able to afford a flywheel]
Either one is great. Z1 and many other site sponsors offer great pricing, look around.

Swapping it yourself. You need a tall set of jack stands. I use my motorhome stands. You will need the jack to get the car up that high. You need 2 people to drop the trans if doing it on the ground. Can be done, I just put mine together again.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement for an OEM clutch-image.jpeg  

Search this Thread